Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Success is different for everyone, especially at 65

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 164/145.5/128 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Your success story is a great motivator! Congratulations on reaching your goal! Thanks for posting. You have made me look forward to today and all of my low carb days! Have a good day
Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 09:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/135 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Congratulations on your success! What a nice thing to do with all the clothes you no longer need.

Clothes size is just a figmant of some designer's immagination. When I was in high school, taking karate three times a week and cutting grass, I weighed 135 pounds. I'm 5'5. This was before kids. I still wore a size 12, because my hips have always been larger than the rest of me. When I was 150 after doing Atkins, I was wearing a size 4 in some dresses. Now why is it a 12 at 135 and a 4 at 150???

The other day when I had my daughter at the doctor for her "obesity" checkup, the doctor asked me what I did diet wise to stay so slim, he said I look great and should get her to do what I do. Slim?????!!!!!???? I weigh 200 pounds!! But, I'm happy and I carry myself well, I am concous of good posture and walk softly.

So, all in all, it's more about how you feel, not what "size" someone else says you are. I agree with you!

Enjoy your vacation and grandbaby!
Laura
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 09:38
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Wow - amazing progress!

Quote:
What is important is that in spite of my life-long habit of eating more when I was depressed or upset, I didn't do that this time.

Wow! That must have been an incredibly stressful time for you, and yet...you didn't let it interfere with your plans to lose weight. You put yourself first, and in spite of everything that was going on, you did it!!!!

I've always managed to gain weight when something awful happens. I'm amazed at your persistence and determination - thank you so much for sharing your story

PS - if you wanted to (not everyone wants to), you could go to a photo place, and have them scan in your pictures and give them to you on a cd, or e-mail them to you, that way, you could post a couple. I'm sure you look terrific!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 10:26
Twinkle Toes

Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Bravo JB, very good job of getting back your girlish figure and feeling so much better because of your low carbing success.

I hope to be able to write my own success story this year, so far there hasn't been much movemnt on the scale this year but with a 100+ drop in 10 months I guess I'll just have to show a little patience and continued determination to arrive at the same destination you have.

Cheers to you, enjoy your trips, your retirement and most especially, your grandchild. You are blessed.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 08:49
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

You know, 65 pounds in six months is amazing at any age! I will turn 50 next month, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. One does tend to wonder if age will be a factor in taking off weight; I appreciate your taking the time to post this to show that it isn't. Not everyone is losing weight to get a belly button ring (bless you if you are--it's just not everyone's main motivation there are also health and mobility issues involved here. Congratulations on your excellent achievement. Sounds like your ex-company's loss was your gain, and your granddaughter's as well. Enjoy.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 12:06
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Congratulations on both your weight-loss success and your wonderful attitude! Thanks for posting your story. I hope you get your pictures scanned in and up soon.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 22:29
AKA: Carol

Plan: High Fat Low Carb
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:? Not any more!
Progress: 100%

Congratulations on a job well done!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 16:18

Stats: 170/169/135 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:

Success is different for everyone, especially at 65
Thank you for a truly inspirational posting. Everything you said I needed to hear. Your great attitude, your humility and your clear focus on the realities of being our age have brought me a lot of hope. I would be ecstatic to be a size 14 again, to have more energy than I do, to be healthier.

I am 66 years old and tried Atkins once before and lost 20 pounds then slowly gained it back. I finally gave up on this way of eating and went on to try other programs. Now I am back to try Atkins again and I was beginning to feel afraid that I was too much older than other people on the board to find much support.

I'll look for other posts from you in the coming months.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

You have wonderfully!

Thanks for the motivation, thank your husband too! I worry sometimes that I am too old or that menopause will stop me from losing. Obviously not.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 20:44

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

You are totally right. Everyone is different. I would love to be a size 12 again. Right now I'm an 18. Keep up the good work.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 12:45

Plan: atkins (my own kind)
Stats: 180/172/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 12%

This is a GREAT story! IF I were an ad agency I would certainly LOOK you up because you'd be FREAT advertising for ANY nutritional product and your story is AWESOME! It encourages all of us aho THINK we are too OLD and I have this belief that no one really gets OLD, one get's unhealthy and a healthy 65 year old is younger than an unhealthy 35 year old. God bless you exceedingly! My grandmother is 94 and she looks 70.. she even goes to the parlor every month and she was married again at 70 years old and is always healthy.

Last edited by bugsey : Tue, Oct-04-05 at 12:49. Reason: addition to post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 11:47

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Thanks for your inspirational story. I am 58 and a very slow loser so I was questioning whether I would ever be able to lose. You have given me hope.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 19:20
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 217.5/207/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 22%

52 here. Losing slowly, but feeling better, don't need to think about food all day anymore. Cool. Thanx for the post.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 20:24

Plan: atkins (my own kind)
Stats: 180/172/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 12%

You are really MY HERO! I love that jounal because you showed us that every age can look better, feel better and reach a dream. I wish you all the happiness and health and LOTS of blessings from God. After working so hard at pursuing a dream, I know that you are blessed and may ALL good things come through in your life and faily. Be blessed always and each moment!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-05, 07:44

Stats: 234/189/147 Female 63 inches
BF:Yep.. still there!
Progress: 52%

What a lovely posting you have written for us!

I am so glad your weight loss has made you happy. I must admit when I see goals of 105lbs etc I do wonder if maybe my goal is not good enough. But it is the 'average' for my height so I'm going to stick to it. I could go 7lb lower, and be at the beginning of the 'average' and may do that... when I get to goal!

Thanks for the inspiration, and congratulations on achieving a better standard of living!

Hugs, Jane
  #16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 14:27

Stats: 210/140/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Still down 70 lbs. a year later

I haven't posted, except for an occasional response, for the last year since I wrote about my success with Atkins. Thought I should tell everyone that after losing 70 lbs., I've kept it off for a year. I don't stick to Atkins as relgiously as I did when I was trying to lose weight, but I weigh myself daily and as soon as I gain a couple pounds, I'm very careful. As a result, my weight hasn't varied more than a few pounds over the past year.

I'm exercising now using Curves, since my doctor thought that would be the best place for me because of my back problems. It looks like I am facing a knee replacement too, punishment for being heavy for about 15 years, I'm sure. But I know that the surgery will be easier since my weight is now under control and with the new techniques (they can do it endoscopically), my doctor says I should recover quickly.

Meanwhile, I can and do play with my now 2.5 year old granddaughter. We have circus tickets in a couple weeks and I can hardly wait to see the look on her face. She told her Mom this week that "Gaga is really pretty." (She's called me Gaga ever since she could talk and whle she can say grandma now, she sticks with her original name for me.) I doubt she'd say that if I weighed 220.

I've been on three trips, to London/Scotland, to visit friends in Illinois and stay in a bed and breakfast there, and on a Panama Canal Cruise recently. Each vacation, I gain a little weight (never more than 3-4 lbs.), but the minute I come home, I go back on Atkins and within a week or two it's gone. Atkins is a way of life for me now and my doctor and husband continue to be thrilled with the new me.
Sponsored Links