Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 15:18

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 225/225/185
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Default Neanderthin

Greetings to my new found LC friends. I'm brand new to this LC WOL. My brother has been following the PP for nearly 2 years now and I think he lost 55 plus #'s, some has returned, perhaps his diligence has lapsed.

I'm following the Neanderthin WOL and just now completed my first full week. I haven't experinced any substantial weight loss though I certainly feel better. I'm curious if anyone tuning in can give me some indication as to when and/or how much weight loss can be anticipated in the coming weeks/months on the Neanderthin?

Look forward to hearing from you and I'm glad to be aboard!

Dan S.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 16:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Dan,

We don't have many Neanderthin members yet, or they might be in hybernation I plan to try it out in a couple of months and will see how it goes. I can't follow it right now because I'm in a bodybuilding mode, with lots of protein powder supplements, which aren't part of the Paleo/Neanderthin mindset.

I hope it works for you, and feel free to keep us posted with your progress.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: paleo/weight lifting
Stats: 12/8/6
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default It might be an adjustment period...

... then after that, you will see results. Don't go by the scale, either get your body fat tested or go by clothing fit/tape measurements. The latter being great for a lot of people.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep, take naps if you're tired or craving carbs (sleep helps cure carb cravings, read the book "Lights Out") eat lots of meat, veggies, salads, and fruit if you can handle it. I for one, can't handle a lot of fruit. I feel better and do better on meat and veggies.

Give it time... your body has to make/make more of the enzymes when you change diets.

Good luck!
--Lizzie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 19:09

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 225/225/185
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Default protein supplements?

What particular protein supplements have you had success with? I too lift regularly and have used the whey protein product called ISOPURE,300 calories,0 fat, 50gms protein, carbs (?) but I'll find out. This product tastes alright but it's pretty pricey. If you have any other "supps" that are reasonably priced and reasonably palatable I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

I'd also be interested in any workouts anybody has found to compliment the low-carb WOL...

Thanks, LATER.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 12:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

If you have the Neaderthin book, there is a weightlifting program in it, towards the back I believe.
Weightlifting is part of the Neaderthin diet.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 21:43

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 397/370/125
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Could you Tell Me About the Neanderthin Diet???

Could you please tell me about the Neanderthin Diet
What do you eat
What don't you eat
I heard it is like Atkins but different too
Thanks in Advance
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Well like everything else, it's good to educate yourself about the subject you're interested in. In other words, read the book!

However, in short, the Neanderthin diet is a low carb diet, but a little more than that. There are certain vegetables that you don't eat, like green beans, which Atkins allows. Basically you eat whatever would've grown naturally. Meat, fish, vegetables that could've been found in the wild, long ago.

I read the book, but never followed the diet. I like green beans too much! However, it did give me some good information about various foods.

Jim
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 10:06

Plan: low-carb diet
Stats: 164/132/125
BF:
Progress: 82%

...Raised by a single working mother, way back when, we ate what was the quickest and easiest for her to prepare. It was almost exclusively, meat and salad. She would pop a piece of red meat, fish or poultry into bake or broil and chop up a salad, toss on the vinaigrette. For dessert she would open a can of unsweetened apple sauce and serve this with cinnamon sprinkled on top. She did not prepare rice or potatoes...too long to cook...and we didn't keep alot of breads in the home because she did not make a school lunch for us....we ate on the school lunch program. And even at school I would pick through the gravy and sauces to find the chunks of meat. Never ate the bread, there, because it came from the kitchen with butter spread on it.

...We were thin, but not skinny, and extremely energetic, healthy children. Somewhere along the way, I can remember my mother telling me that, 'This is the way our family needs to eat'. I didn't understand what she meant by those words until recently.

I married and started cooking and eating in a different manner to accomodate my husband's childhood eating patterns. We ate and gained weight and then we'd lose some only to gain again over the years.

I learned about Low-Carb eating plans and my husband and I are taking this approach to eating now (5 months)...and it's 'working' in every way.

We are both the same blood type...similar heighth and body frame size and activity level. If this: 'family needs to eat this way' keeps working to keep us fit, healthy and active...then this could take on all genetic and cultural determinates.....and be the winner, after-all.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 17:37

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Lita - your name caught my eye as I was scrolling down the page. At first I thought "I didn't post on that thread" and then it dawned on me that my user name is different than my name anyway. However, just wanted to jump in and say "hi" from one Lita to another Never knew anyone else with my name - it seems very bizzare!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 21:17

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 397/370/125
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Lita Thankyou!!!

Lita, Thankyou so very much for the time that you took to answer my question and giving me such great advice...I really appreciate it...I think I am definately going to eat the more healthier way of giving up the breads...Thanks a heap Rene'e a.k.a. Dynamite
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:20

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

I am going to purchase this book. I've been reading about the Paleolithic Diet and have slowly adjusted to eating this way compared to the "old" ADA exchage program.

Does anyone know the ratios of fat/carbs/protein on Neanderthin?

Thanks,
~Danielle
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 20:42

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Lizzie and Dan........

Dan,

just wondering how you are feeling on the neanderthin. i am going to start sunday or monday. i'm in the middle of moving and want to wait till i get situated. anyway, i will post when i start as i know i will need support! hope it's going well for you....

Lizzie,
you mentioned the changing of enzymes etc... how did you feel when you first started? how do you feel now? i can tell by your stats that you have had great success...congrats!!! was it an adjustment for you?