Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 21:32

Plan: CAD
Stats: 176/-/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Amazon Reviews of CAD/CALP

I was reading through reviews of CAD and CALP at amazon. It is amazing that people gave the program low ratings while not staying true to the plan. Here are some things that were in error:

1. It doesn't encourage fiber
2. It doesn't allow artificial sweeteners or diet drinks
3. You can only eat 1/4 of a tomato during RM
4. It is a NO carb diet
5. You have to skip breakfast
6. The RM is a carb binge/feast
7. You can't have fruit
8. CALP cuts out all carbs
9. You can't have fruit until you reach your goal weight
10.As soon as you go off plan you gain the weight back (hmm....isn't that true of any diet- If you go off plan you gain- if you stay on you don't gain?)
11. You have to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast.
12. Breakfast and Lunch are only protein and fat. You starve all day.
13. Eating all protein is unhealthy

Did these people read the book? I didn't see any of these things in either book. Hmm!

Last edited by slimmindy : Tue, Jun-29-10 at 06:45.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 14:08
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I know- it drives me crazy!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-10, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 287.4/287.4/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

It drives me crazy, too! The ignorance on some of those reviews is just unbelievable. They took what they wanted to read from the book and twisted it into some ridiculous, unhealthy fad diet. What ticks me off even more is that most of the negative reviews came from people who didn't even try the diet!!!!! Or from people who lost only two pounds in a month, so it doesn't work! I understand that it won't work for some, but if you read the book, you'll know why it won't work for you in the long run if you're not a carb addict!

No one diet is for everyone, same with CAD/CALP. Still, why put down a diet you've never tried? Just because it sounds too good to be true for others, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

For the others that it doesn't work for after a long period of time and not losing weight- the Heller's said right in the book that if you are NOT a carb addict, then this diet won't work for you. If you don't crave carbs, then a regular old calorie counting diet might work for you. This is for people who have a problem eating carbs and getting hungry soon after because of the insulin spikes. This isn't a diet for those who simply over eat just because the food is there (my husband is like this) but CAN control their eating and not crave more junk food or sweets after eating an hour or two earlier.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-10, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 287.4/287.4/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oh and you know what else gets me? Is all the assumptions that we don't get enough fiber or fruits daily. Tell me, those who follow Weight Watchers, why are there Weight Watchers sweets in the bread aisles and Weight Watchers ice cream in the freezer chests? Well, golly gee, people on WW like their sweets, too! Should we assume that they don't get enough fiber in their diets because they can have a sweet treat daily?!? Should we poo poo WW because they allow unhealthy foods on their diet? Ever check the back of a WW frozen dinner for sodium content? Don't get me wrong, WW is a great plan for someone who isn't a carb addict like me. I did it for years, but was always hungry on the diet, no matter how much fiber and protein I took in. Still, it is a fantastic diet for others, so you wont' hear me put it down. Not for me, but still a great plan they have there.

Atkins doesn't allow you to have ANY fruit at all during induction. If you stay on induction like most people do to lose weight, you still can't have any fruit until you climb up the OWL ladder. Even then, you can only have strawberries and jicamas. Yet, people defend this diet, and it allows you to have artificial sweeteners which are not good for you. Yes, this works, and it definitely is another great diet. Many of my friends have done this diet and had wonderful success losing. Unfortunately, most fall off of the wagon because it is too strict for them to stick too. Some go back to it, get the weight off, then go off of it and gain some, if not all of the weight back. Then they wash, rinse, repeat the process, but hey, if it works for people and they're happy, that's great! All the power to them. I can't have artificial sweeteners with the exception or Stevia, Truvia, and Pruvia. I use those very sparely, and during my RW only as for me, they do trigger hunger about an hour or two later. Should we post on the Atkins site and say it doesn't work or that it isn't a healthy diet because it allows AS and no fruit?

Your diet is what YOU make it. It can be healthy, or unhealthy, but it all depends upon YOU, not the outline of the diet. Weight Watchers does not promote unhealthy eating, but they're realistic and know that others will want a treat once a day, so they have products lower in calories to help them. Nothing wrong with that.

Atkins is a great diet for healthy people that don't have kidney problems. I had to get off of it- I lost 16 pounds in four days, and by the third day, I was so sick, my husband made a doctor's appointment. Doctor told me that it was affecting my kidneys (they were healthy before I started the diet) and that was what was making me sick and he ordered me off. Many people don't have this problem and are successful. Atkins also knows that some people can't resist treats, just look at their Atkins bars and other stuff they have on the marker. Doesn't that make Atkins unhealthy to follow?

Again, your diet is what you make of it. If you want to get your fiber in, you will. If you want healthy grains, you'll fit them in. If you want all junk, we'll, you'll do that, too. Depends upon what you want out of life and your body.