Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 00:05

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%
Default I drank a pint of heavy cream

It's TOM and I came home after having dinner a couple hours prior and I was full already. However, I opened up the fridge and wanted to take a sip of heavy cream. A sip turned into two, turned into 3. I kept putting it back into the fridge and taking it out. Eventually the entire container was gone.

One one hand, this is "low carb." On the other, I just ingested over 1500 calories and I feel like a total idiot because I know better. Anyhow, I'm just looking for some support and encouragement that "tomorrow's a new day."

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 00:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Once upon a time you could order a glass of fresh cream as a beverage at a restaurant:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-05...restaurant-menu

I've sometimes had a glass of cream with meals or with coffee as breakfast. The high fat content can actually help with appetite suppression if you're doing IF.

I'm personally wary of additives like carrageenan though, but otherwise I don't see the harm (except that cream is expensive). It could be a sign too that your body wants higher fat in your diet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 01:12

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Not the best thing ever done for your health, but Could have been MUCH worse! I bet you have had more damaging binges in the past? (Pizza, icecream, doughnuts?). You didn't stray far from your plan.

This isn't THAT bad, something like 20g of carb? Ok, it's a days worth for some people, but there are apples that have more carb than that

And tomorrow really is another day! Bet you won't be hungry for breakfast?

Might be worth wondering why, or just ignore it, ignore the scale tomorrow and let it blur into insignificance. I wonder if there was a bit of sugar hidden in some food from your meal out which tipped you onto this?

Also, cream has such gentle taste and wonderful velvety, cool mouth feel, takes no effort to consume... I have done this too! Except I buy my cream in 1/2 pint tubs My advice is not to worry about it at all! Keep a wee eye on whether you find yourself fighting cravings for the next month or so - maybe there's some sauce or something that makes you want to binge, but otherwise, it's not so bad at all x
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 06:56

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Whenever I have a "binge" (too many pork rinds, overdoing at a Chinese buffet, etc.) I follow up with a 23 hour fast. In other words, if I overdo dinner, I just don't eat the next day till dinner time again (drink lots, though). Not only does this compensate for all the extra calories, but it makes me feel like I did something about my error - a psychological boost, if you will.

I see you are close to goal - when I was this close it was hard to get those last few pounds off - I started implementing intermittent fasting and boom - off they came, just in case you're in the same situation ...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 07:53
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I consider this only a minor sin. You blew the diet for that day but stayed within your WOE. That is a victory in a way and certainly better than the alternative carb fest.

I've overeaten my LC food many, many times -- especially in those first few months. I noticed that I tend to have more energy and be less hungry the next day. I honestly think that sometimes our bodies just need us to take a day off from eating at an energy deficit. After we do it, we are ready to roll again. So perhaps it does serve some purpose.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 08:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
I drank a pint of heavy cream

LOL only on a low carb forum would we see a post like this.
Like others have said, it certainly is the lesser of two evils since you stuck to low-carb. TOM is a very legitimate condition where hormones make demands of the body. I'm sure you won't be making a pint of cream a habit. Have a great day!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 00:16

Wow, thank you all so much for your support. It was definitely a rough night and I was having a massive sugar craving. I learned a lesson that I need to plan better for when the next craving hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
I'm personally wary of additives like carrageenan though, but otherwise I don't see the harm (except that cream is expensive). It could be a sign too that your body wants higher fat in your diet.

I will have to look into that. I read from another source that carrageenan can be carcinogenic. I wonder to what extent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieScot
And tomorrow really is another day! Bet you won't be hungry for breakfast?

Might be worth wondering why, or just ignore it, ignore the scale tomorrow and let it blur into insignificance. I wonder if there was a bit of sugar hidden in some food from your meal out which tipped you onto this?

Nope, I definitely didn't feel like eating breakast. I had eggs for lunch, along with some butter and sea salt, so I was good :-)

Besides my period starting, the only thing I can think of was that I had frozen berries and stevia in the raw earlier in the morning. Hmm... that could definitely be the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShepard
I see you are close to goal - when I was this close it was hard to get those last few pounds off - I started implementing intermittent fasting and boom - off they came, just in case you're in the same situation ...

I should change my stats on here. I'm actually 150 now, but still close to goal. I've started to re-watch Jason Fung's videos and have also taken Werebear's advice on IF -- take it slow, ease into it and if something doesn't feel right, take a step back. Tomorrow's another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I consider this only a minor sin. You blew the diet for that day but stayed within your WOE. That is a victory in a way and certainly better than the alternative carb fest.

Yes, most definitely. Each day, I congratulate on the things I did right even if I overate on the right types of foods. For instance, I ate way too much fat but I didn't go over on my protein. Or, I still haven't quit coffee yet, but my sleep is going back to normal and I exercised in the morning and now I feel nice and sore. It's about the little accomplishments each day that are a step in the right direction. And more importantly, it's about healing the body over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
LOL only on a low carb forum would we see a post like this.
Like others have said, it certainly is the lesser of two evils since you stuck to low-carb. TOM is a very legitimate condition where hormones make demands of the body. I'm sure you won't be making a pint of cream a habit. Have a great day!!

lol Yup. I actually googled "I drank a pint of heavy cream" to test the waters before I sheepishly made this post. I partly did it as a means of giving people hope that this young, skinny girl is flawed and that it's okay (not encouraged though) if we slip up in a massive way. We just get back the next day and get back on the saddle. In the grand scheme of things, it's a speck in the big picture.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-16, 14:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I sometimes do this intentionally to avoid something worse. A pint of heavy cream might have 1500 calories--but a pound of peanuts has around 2500, and I don't always stop at the pound.

Also sometimes, when I'm really pushing keto, a pint of heavy cream isn't even an indulgence, it's pretty much a requirement.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I sometimes do this intentionally to avoid something worse. A pint of heavy cream might have 1500 calories--but a pound of peanuts has around 2500, and I don't always stop at the pound.

Also sometimes, when I'm really pushing keto, a pint of heavy cream isn't even an indulgence, it's pretty much a requirement.

Lol that is a very good point! You know, ever since that episode, I haven't gone up in weight. It's so weird how this type of slip-up doesn't affect things.

I had some really bad tmi stomach issues this morning, and I've been feeling super lethargic all day since then. I have some heavy cream here and I started sipping on it again because it feels so soothing. I had half this time and am gonna try and resist not having the rest.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 21:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

IR: carrageenan.

The wikipedia entry on it is pretty thorough. It's actually from seaweed, and has been used, in one form or another, as a thickening agent since 600 BCE. (The Chinese were the first). There are recipes for using it in traditional Gaelic cooking.

There are some rodent studies that show its use leading to tumor formation. But I didn't take the time to look at them on google scholar, and, as rodents are NOT big fat eaters, it's not really a grand idea to extrapolate too heavily to humans without further studies.