Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 19:03

Plan: Induction
Stats: 259/243/175
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Ketosis sticks not turning purple

I take about 15 different prescriptions aday and my stick won't turn darker than trace. I tried not taking my hormones and my prozac for 4 days to see if that would make a difference and it didn't so I got back on my pills. I am not losing any weight now for 2 weeks. Any suggestions as to what I could do to jump start the weight loss. I have been on this diet since Feb. 4th and broke it twice by going out and eating at a Mexican Rest. Now I just can't seem to budge the scale and I ride a recumbent bike at least 5 miles a day for a half an hour. Any suggestions to keep me going?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 08:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Can you tell us what your average day of eating and water consumption is?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 11:01

BF:

Hello Karen.

I usually drink about 64oz of water a day and for breakfast I will have 2 eggs and sausage or with bacon. No dinner because I never ate dinner and I now really don't get hungry. Supper is meat such as chicken, steak, pork, roast and a salad with ranch dressing which has 1 carb for 2 Tbsp and sugar free geletin. Some times I fix my own vinegar and oil with Splenda. I do have 2 cups of tea in the AM and I have diet soda in the evening.
That has been what I eat ever since I have started this. I sometimes get tired of the Salad but I have to eat something. I fix cauliflower and broccoli and asparagus for my daughter and husband and their sticks are turning purple. I am so envious. I found the Atkins Endulge Bars and I enjoy one of them and on occasion I will eat a few spicy pork rinds but obviously they are not anybodys favorite. Hope this answers your question and thanks for replying. This way I know someone else is at least willing to listen and help.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 13:59

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Ny,

I was noticing you said you didnt eat Im assumming lunch.. Lunch is a very important meal for the day.. Eating at least 3 meals a day is very healthy and will help you in loosing weight.. Snacks in between are good also.. You need to eat because your body needs to be able to keep your blood sugar stabalized without dropping or rising .. I usualy eat breakfast lunch snack then supper.. and depending on what time i eat supper if i have a snack or not after wards... It keeps your furnace burning and working when you keep a constant fuel supply to it.. I had a friend who found out she was a diabetic.. She has lost 70 lbs only by simply eating breakfast lunch and dinner and she never hardly eat breakfast before or would skip other meals.. and has drastly reduced her carb intake she still eats them but just eats on a regular schedule now.. Her body now burns the food eaten instead of thinking of starving and holding on to it.. I bet if you start eating on normal schedule with breakfast lunch dinner and snacks in between it would help trememdously...

Hope soem one else more qualified responds also incase i mess up ..

Tammy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 14:02

BF:
Default ohhh also

Ohh also be sure to eat your vegies.......... on induction you can have 2 cups salad and 1 cup vegies off the vegie list... Your vegies are very important... they contain nutreints good for your body and fiber.... Also remember to eat at least 10 x your body weight in calories a day.... or your body will go into starvation mode and not burn any fat... Hope this helps..

Tammy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 15:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/135/130
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default ketosis

dont worry about the sticks, they can be so frustrating and I found one day i would go to the deepest purple , and if i added one stick of celery, it would be trace again. Most important to your weight loss, besides the water is the minimum of 25-30 gms protein , three meals a day , and also the omega three , six, and nines, you can get them in capsule, they are much easier to handle that way , as the oil itself is pretty tough!

I am with Positive Changes hypnosis, and this is stressed in our nutritional classes , the theory is very well supported, and i must tell you ! It is working!

good luck !
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 15:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

rtjdk2 is absolutely right when she says you're not eating enough.

A decrease in appetite is normal whe you are in ketosis - see you don't need the sticks! - but it is very important to keep eating. A lot of people think no appetite = good. Not so with low-carbing, which is whay it works so well. You never have to starve yourself like low-fat or low calorie DIEting.

What happens very basically is you need a minimum amount of calories to satisfy your basic bodily functions. When you go below that level, your body thinks it's starving and holds onto it's fat stores. Upping your calories through eating fat will take care of it. You don't have to stuff yourself, just eat more fat.

Here are a few links to help you out. Go to this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...0081#post240081

and scroll down to the eating fat section. There's a lot of other information in there that you may may want to look at too.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 17:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/237/155
BF:
Progress: 31%
Cool Just my 2 cents...

I noticed you said sugar free jello... this wouldn't happen to have Nutra-Sweet as the sweetener, would it? Just thought I'd mention that detail since aspertame has been shown to inhibit weight loss.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 18:12

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%
Unhappy 25-30g protein?!?!?!?

Originally posted by simply cyn:

Quote:
Most important to your weight loss, besides the water is the minimum of 25-30 gms protein , three meals a day , and also the omega three , six, and nines, you can get them in capsule, they are much easier to handle that way , as the oil itself is pretty tough!

I hope i just misunderstood you and you mean 25-30g per meal. Everything I have read has said to eat AT LEAST 60g PER DAY!! I have around 180g per day due to my exercise routine. That is about 1g per lb of weight.

Like i said, i think i just misunderstood you.

Concerning the oil capsules: I think the actual oil is much better. you would have to take over 20 capsules a day to get the effect of just 3 tbsp of oil. A lot of us put the oil in our protein shakes and don't find it to be a problem. I personally just down it straight if i don't have a shake. I like the flax oil because of it's nutty flavor and smell. There was an interesting thread about it a few weeks ago. i can't find it now, but i will look.

To nytowl:

I would suggest drinking more water. Water seems to be the key to weight loss for many of us. I personally drink an average of 6L a day. There are people who drink over 10L a day. I know I drink a lot, but 64 oz is the MINIMUM and it never hurts to drink more. The water flushes our thtat burning fat and keeps your body from retaining it. Don't give too much weight to those ketostix. They are not always an accurate measurment. Good Luck!!

Last edited by Niky Brady : Sun, Apr-28-02 at 18:19.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 18:28

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%

here's that link

How many Flax........

here's another

Flax Seed Oil
(the info is about halfway down the page here)

Last edited by Niky Brady : Sun, Apr-28-02 at 18:37.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 18:49

BF:

Ash, there are some sf jello cups that are made with splenda its jolly rancher sf jello cups... the jello name brand one has aspertaime in them... Good point..

Tammy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 15:13

BF:
Question water & Protein

Okay I know this is going to sound stupid but how do I find out how much protein is in everything? I guess in Dr. Atkins new Rev
it must talk about this. My book is very old and I just try to read it over and over. I know I am taking in enough water and I am staying under 20grms of carbs but I didn't know I was suppose to be counting protein also. Also what is the story about the oil that you need a day. Don't you get plenty of that by what you cook and with your butter? Called the library and of coursr everyone has checked out all the books for his and low carb menus but I'm on the waiting list. Also where do I go for really good tasting desserts or sweets that I can make? We have found the Endulge bar and the first night I shared one with my husband I thought it was really sinful. I bought Atkins pancake mix and his baking mix but tried the pancake mix Sunday morn
with my husband and it was like blah. I also used his pancake syrup and that was like water with no taste. I have been on this since Feb. and you would think my sweet taste should be bone by now but its not. Thank you to all for responding to me and listening to my whining.

Nytowl
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 15:35

BF:

Hi Nytowl, you can go to fitday.com and keep track of everything there.. just put your foods in and walaaa it does everything for you .. I love it.... it will help keep track of everything..

Tammy
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 08:03
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

A rough guesstimate is 7 grams of protein for every ounce of meat, and 6 grams of protein for every whole egg. Anything like bacon or sausage, check the package.

If you have the 1972 version of Atkins, you must get a new copy, as the material has changed.

It's best to avoid anything sweet tasting for the two weeks of induction. You can break your sweet habits and feel marvalous.

Also, you don't need any fake food, no bars, no desserts, no mixes, just plain, nourishing, natural food. It's what nature intended us to eat!

Elihnig
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and was looking around for some advice...well, I found it here. I am on my 10th day of Atkins and lost 5 lbs. the first three days, but nothing since. I also don't have ANY trace on the stix, but just decided to ignore them. Is this normal?

Can someone tell me if I'm doing this right? On a normal day I eat two eggs in butter with last night's leftover meat, for lunch, sliced cheese, maybe a chicken breast or hamburger, for dinner, steak or some other meat with 3 cups spinach leaves or broccoli and some deviled eggs or cheese. I snack on salami and cheese through the day and I use heavy whipping cream in my coffee, about 3 tablespoons a day.

Believe it or not, I was bingeing on pies and cakes and actually sneaking cookies home from the buffet for months before I started on this plan. I was determined to get this habit broken. And I have to tell you, I'm amazed. Not only can I stare down a piece of cake, but I'm not all that hungry for the stuff I'm supposed to eat. My hypoglycemia is completely under control - whereas before I was dropping into dizzy, shaking episodes throughout the day if I didn't eat something sweet! The first two days of Atkins I had a migraine, but even that has gone. I want to get the weight down now that I've made the adjustment. I'm NEVER hungry and feel completely full...but what if I'm eating too much of something and not enough of something else? Oh, I drink about 64 oz of water. I have not been exercising, maybe that's it? When can I expect to see the pounds go down some more? Am I stalled?

Thanks for your input.

D.