Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 08:25

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 208/204/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default 2 weeks of Phase I done - question?????

OK, tomorrow will mark the first 2 weeks of Phase I for me. I have lost a whopping 5.6 pounds! I'm very discouraged, considering the numbers I've read for some others who have posted. I have been very diligent, drinking 10-12 glasses of water per day, eating moderate servings of the allowed foods. I'm going to continue on with phase I until I've lost maybe 15 pounds, but at this rate, it's going to take forever.

Some pants are starting to feel looser, I've started exercising - trying to do a brisk 40 minute walk 3-4 times per week.

Has anyone else here seen less than average results their first two weeks?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 08:48
Registered Member

Stats: 250/210/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

That depends....what is "average"? The 8-12 pounds stated on the cover of the book? That's marketing hype.

Fact is, there is no way to guage how much a person will lose. Or if they will lose. It is such an individual thing!

One thing I have heard from people: Those who stay in phase 1 find they lose less and less weight. It's called....starvation mode. 5.6 pounds is NOT a bad figure. It is about what is to be expected for healthy (as opposed to "average") weight loss.

Now, it's time to move into phase 2. Giving your body some healthy carbs and increasing exercise, may be just what your body needs to kick it into lose mode. If you have a lot to lose, remember: you will lose most of the weight in phase 2 than you ever did in phase 1.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 09:16

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

Team Gal is right! 5.6 lbs is good weight loss...remember, the goal of SBD is to help you change your way of eating for life...you need to move on to Phase II and continue the learning process. While it doesn't work for everyone, most people learn to eat healthier and lose weight...1 or 2 lbs a week is good weight loss.

Congrats on your weight loss! Move to Phase II and don't look back. Be very careful about adding items back in...I and others have posted many times here about the process of adding good carbs back in...read these threads and good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 09:17
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Great weight loss for the first 2 weeks!! Congrats!!

I see that you don't have a journal here. You can look at mine to see what I've been eating...it may help you. If you start your own journal and log your food daily, we can peek inside and chat about what you are and are not eating.

I had a slow start too and O don't even know how much I lost at first but I am up to 43 lb loss to date and still going strong.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 18:25

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Weight loseis an individual thing. It's harder for some than others. try to remember tht you didn't put the weight on overnight and you won't lose it that way either. There will be ups and downs. The time of the month may also affect your weight. In fact your weight can fluctuate a couple of pounds in any one day. So weigh yourself weekly and don't give up. At least on thisdiet you never have to be hungry. eat good carbs and fats, exercise moderatly. Find good low carb snacks and keep on keeping on.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 05:55

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Weight loss also depends a lot on how much you have to loose. Atkins claims somewhere it is supposed to be 5-10% of the weight you have to loose during induction, and then about that much each month. So 5-10 lbs if you have 100 lbs to loose, you want to loose around 50-55, so expect 2.5-5.5 lbs to loose - so you are actually on the high end of that estimate.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 20:44

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 270/238/220 Male 6'2''
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default More Feedback

maybe you've undergo a diet prior taking the SBD, resulting in a lower weight loss, but 5 pds something to be proud of ^_^ Keep it up!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 20:49

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 225/185/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Really High!!
Progress: 80%
Default Keep it Up!!

Hey...5.6 lbs in 2 weeks is great!! And it's true, you'll lose more in Phase II...keep it up, you're doing amazingly well!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 23:37

Stats: 236/236/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Congrats on your 5.6 lb weight lost. I agree with everyone else it is time to move on to the next phase.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 12:18

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 225/185/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Really High!!
Progress: 80%
Default How is it going?.....Gone?

Hi I just thought I'd pop by to see how you're doing! Is the weight loss still happening. Hope you've gotten over your discouragement and are keeping up the amazing work! Have a stunning day! You look beautiful!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 07:16

Stats: 208/204/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for checking in on me newlcer. I'm down 6.6 pounds in 3 weeks. The weight just seems to be dripping off of my husband, however, so it is quite discouraging. We're not doing anything differently, but he is losing so much more quickly and easily (and he doesn't need to lose that much).

I'm starting Phase II today. Just had a wholesome oat muffin for breakfast, a slice of fruit and I'm in heaven.

Your encouragement means alot. I guess I just have to hang in there and keep on keeping on!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 11:43

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Wanttbthin, be careful adding those carbs back in. Concentrate on the veggies carbs first and not too many in one day. Being without them for two weeks can be daunting but adding them back in slowly will tell you which ones you can have without sabataging your own efforts. Best of luck to you.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-04, 05:30

Plan: SBD
Stats: 183/176/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 15%

I am thinking about going back to S.B. I Joined the online diet. I will see how it goes. I am on cad now and kinda thinking about using it when I need a break, but If I feel better on the S.B. I will stay on it.
The pounds you lost sounds great, so don't get discouraged.