Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 12:36
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default I have a new cookbook!

For thsoe familiar with Jennifer Eloff and her wonderful cookbook series: Low Carbing Among Friends, volume 8 is being printed as we speak. Vol. 8 features my recipes and you can pre-order at http://amongfriends.us/FS8.php if interested in a copy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 14:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thanks for the update Peggy, haven't seen you for a while . Are you still keeping up with your blog?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 14:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

A good cook book makes all the differnce to stay LC . Thanks for the notice!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-18, 13:52
Patience Personified

Hi, Doreen. Yes, I'm still around and still maintaining my recipe blog. Got really busy working with Jennifer Eloff and George Stella on some cookbooks the last couple years. Plus I had some falls and suffered broken wrists, 2 torn rotator cuffs and a broken tibia. A rough couple of years. Hope to drop by a little more frequently now. Hopefully no more falls for awhile. Want to enjoy the 42 acres & cabin we just bought east of Austin. But once a cook, always a cook. What can I say? LOL
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-18, 13:53
Patience Personified

~ Arielle, I thoroughly agree. With good recipes, you stay n target. No need to have bland, boring food just because you are on a special program. Boring food is the kiss of death for ANY diet, I always say.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 09:54

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I've used a couple of your recipes to good success. They are much appreciated. I plan to try more, for sure.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 18:44
Patience Personified

Thank you, Ken. A second cookbook is in the making, expected to be released by October. Chef George Stella and Jennifer Eloff are again contributing some new creations to the next book as well. Stay tuned!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 07:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
~ Arielle, I thoroughly agree. With good recipes, you stay n target. No need to have bland, boring food just because you are on a special program. Boring food is the kiss of death for ANY diet, I always say.

I agree with this so much, but some people never had the ability to make good food of their own to begin with. I'm lucky that I caught the cooking bug a couple decades ago. I always cooked, even as a teenager, but the last ten years especially I took to trying a much wider variety of cooking, even baking which most men dont do a lot of, and I started trying to make the things I loved in restaurants, at home.

When I first started the LC diet, it was almost a panic....it seemed like you weren't allowed to eat hardly anything. I was dismayed at the number of folks here who were perfectly fine with the same old thing and nothing special in their foods. I remember someone telling me just that...they were perfectly happy with the same old stuff, all the time. Finding foods to eat to vary the diet is the main reason I come here and share also. That's why I'm almost exclusively in the kitchen talk section, I dont have a disease except alcoholism so I dont need the support groups (not trying to quit drinking totally), I dont need support staying on my diet...so the cooking and store available foods is my main thing.

The day I clicked on the link in your signature was a good day. Your site has allowed me to focus better and you have been doing this for a while. A better chance that one of your recipes will work well vs. a random web page I find when searching for LC recipes. I'm not much of a book reader in my older age, not that I cant, I used to read books a lot as a teen and also when out at sea with absolutely nothing to do. The last book I read required a week on the beach forcing myself to do nothing. Almost all of my cookbooks gather dust. Don't know why, and now even the old standards I've had for years arent much help since they arent low carb. I prefer learning the methods and the LC ingredients and then tweaking recipes or even doing a hybrid of several recipes from the web, creating my own...sometimes they fail, sometimes its a hit and a keeper.

My only complaint is all the ingredients I have to invest in as I go through your recipes! I've already invested quite a bit but now have to go out and buy psyllium and egg white protein too! This is why with baking, I stick with your recipes for now. You cant "wing" baking like a stir fry! A person can waste a lot of money messing up baking...especially with the cost of these ingredients.

The good news is I've found other uses for some of the ingredients. I'm now making whey protein almond milk concoctions to keep in the fridge for a quick stomach soother and appetite management for instance...I'm sure the egg white protein will find its way in there too!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 07:40

BF:

I tried your low carb ice cream for the first time the last two nights...fantastic! I had to make a few tweaks, like frozen raspberries were what I had to use and didn't have the flavored syrup, but the maple flavored sugar free syrup I have really added an almost nutty flavor. It was the first ice cream my wife and I had since January 1...six months of no ice cream because even the no sugar ice cream at the store seems high in carbs.

One note you may want to add to your recipe: Its designed to be eaten right away or like it instructs to freeze for 1/2 hour for a firmer texture. Your recipe basically indicates this because you dont reference storage after making it if you dont eat it all...and we ate it at the serving size you indicated which means we had to freeze it. Once its frozen its a rock. You have to let it sit out on the counter for a while and melt some, but once it does you can remix it with a big spoon to even out the texture and its still delicious...what a treat.

Cant wait to have some of that with these amazingly low carb brownies mix I found on Netrition. Just hard to believe how low carb those things are. Texture is dense and you have to refrigerate them, but wow, another great find. You have to water bath bake them though, but I have those skills from making creme brule.

I also want to report that I successfully used your fried chicken breader/method on mozzarella slices (from the logs you can buy pre-sliced).

-Dry the slices on a kitchen towel or paper towels, pressing to get as much water out as possible.
-I added the step of using about a rounded tablespoon of einkhorn flour to pre dust the slices, pressing them in, even around the edges. This adds about 4 grams carbs split between me and the wife and we had 4 nice sized slices each. The einkhorn flour is not super low carb, but 35% less than regular AP and the nutritional and health benefits are much better of course.
-So, the old school FEB...flour-egg-breadcrumbs, except the egg has water and creme, and the breadcrumbs are your chicken breader.
-After breading, they went on a baking sheet (my parchment made me mad, so they went directly on the sheet!) and in to the freezer for a couple hours.
-I suppose one could bake these, but I love frying and deep frying, so I used a cast iron skillet, just like making fried chicken...I was a afraid to use the deep fryer, fearing they would blow out and make a mess of the basket, but wont be next time, but the skillet DID allow me to fry all 8 slices at one time.
-I had one blowout casualty, that was a learning experience. It was edible but collapsed. The trick is to catch them at exactly the right point, well browned but right before they melt through. so I'm thinking high heat (I use peanut oil) like 400° and get them in, browned and out as fast as possible.
-I topped with a souped up (I step on the flavors with lots of seasoning and spice) sugar free marinara (Walmart's organic is pretty good for the money) and we had an excellent side to go with sugar free BBQ ribs and salad for July 4th...and that LC ice cream for dessert!

Our tomatoes are staring to ripen, so I will be carb splurging on some tomatoes here soon...cant NOT have homegrown tomatoes if my garden produces! BUT...this also means green tomatoes...and this chicken breader will allow me to cook another great favorite of ours...Fried Green Tomatoes...

Never though I would say that when I started this diet. But at around 35lbs lost now, I'm splurging a bit...in a low carb kind of way! Yep, I'm sort of stalled at the moment, but I'll get back on the wagon again...drinking booze is my biggest problem...low carb but still lots of calories.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Fri, Jul-06-18 at 07:46.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 16:11
Patience Personified

Glad you like the ice cream. Yes, without real sugar, the artifical sweeteners just let low-carb ice creams freeze like pure water actually. I've tried so many of the so-called methods to stop this, but nothing does. Not even alcohol, which I though prevented things from freezing like water. Tried the Atkins ice cream; tried countless other blogger's "wonder ice cream tricks", but no luck with this issue. The one time I put booze in my ice cream, it still got hard. So my new tact is to make only the amount of ice cream we and my guests can eat at one sitting, BEFORE it gets that hard. That works!

Your fried Mozzy sounds amazing! I've never tried my hand at fried cheese sticks, before dieting or after. Seems to decadent to me. LOL
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 18:47

BF:

For what its worth, even Ben & Jerry's ice cream is too hard to eat straight out of the freezer. We nuke the container for about 1 minute.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-18, 00:11

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Adding 50 mL alcohol and 1 Tbs of glycerin per pint will keep that homemade ice cream scoopable even straight out of the freezer. It really works!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-18, 11:48
Patience Personified

I've tried glycerin with no luck and I've tried booze with no luck. But maybe with BOTH TOGETHER will work. Will try that next time, IOMW. Thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-18, 08:55

BF:

The glycerine in the ice cream recipe is a really interesting ingredient. You can feel the benefit to your lips while eating it!

Do you refrigerate the glycerine or store it at room temp?

I have been doing some varieties of the ice cream. We love it. But I use a sucralose/erythritol sweetener. Cant stand stevia.

The ice cream recipe make excellent pops, taking advantage of how it freezes solid. Right out of the freezer it bites perfectly as a pop. now I am on a search to find adult popsicle forms...most are child size, and only about half of the serving size...you have to eat 2 to feel satiated and they are a pain to make and clean.

The freezing is no match for the joy of having ice cream on a low carb diet. I'll take it any day over no ice cream.

Your chicken breader is very universal. The method is traditional, only the breading ingredients are different. I also made a chicken mozz (like chicken parm) where I pounded chicken breast portions to about 3/8" thick, breaded, cast iron skillet deep fried, then topped with mozz and under the broiler to brown the mozz and melt it a bit, then topped with a heavily seasoned sugar free pasta sauce judiciously. Fantastic. My wife said she would be raving over it if she paid $15 for it in a restaurant.

The fried mozz IS decadent...thats why I did it! Overcoming the diet restrictions of low carb with restaurant quality cooking is fantastic, it makes the whole trip more worthwhile. In the Atkins style method, you need fat...its what your body is eating when in Keto. Switching from Soutbeach to Atkins early on was the best thing I did...living low carb AND low fat is a miserable life. A massive European study found that serum cholesterol and fatty foods have zero effect on heart disease. Your genes...DNA...determines what will likely kill you if a natural death, including cancer. Granted, certain things like smoking and asbestos and obesity play a role in what disease you will get, but bacon is not going to kill anyone!

My educated opinion of course. Many on this site may disagree...and thats OK, its their life.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-18, 09:37

BF:

I like this forum because we are free to choose options that work for us.

I love fried mozzaella---just havent mastered the technique yet.