Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/293/160 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile I could use some advice.

I am just wondering for those that use the induction phase what kind of foods can I eat. I know I can eat meat, eggs, fish, chicken, cheese, some sausage but my ideas for what to eat stop there. Can you guys please let me know some ideas of things I can be eating to keep me under 20 carbs a day. I really appreciate any help. I weigh 290 lbs and I'm only 5'7". So I needs help. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 13:55

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Gravesmon. Welcome to the Forum.

You've listed Atkins as your program. The Atkins books (and website, too, I presume) list all the allowed foods on induction, which include salad vegetables and other vegetables, too, in specified quantities.

Why don't you start with some research at the Atkins sources? There are a number of links on this site you can use to find your way around.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 15:13

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/slow.../#axzz22tgZ1dwp

I also like to buy individually wrapped salmon from Costco. I can defrost it in cold water and pop it under the broiler. Easy peasy.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 15:39

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Start here, but I really recommend you get your hands on a book as you will be referencing it all the time in the beginning.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/2...-phase-1-foods/
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 15:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 447/190/230 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 118%

Go on google and look up lindas low carb recipes....she has lots of induction recipes...I have been on induction 8 months and I have never run out of recipes
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 15:52

I think Gravesmom wants some specifics on what are tasty and doable. When I first started out, I felt very overwhelmed when I looked up "low-carb recipes." That's very broad, and there's low-carb everything from gourmet to downright simple.

Gravesmom, do you have any specific needs such as dairy/soy-free? What level of cooking do you prefer as well? I think that will help all of us help you :-)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 16:44

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Here's a link to a thread you'll find helpful in the Atkins forum. It starts with a list of induction-suitable foods and goes on from there: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravesmon
I am just wondering for those that use the induction phase what kind of foods can I eat. I know I can eat meat, eggs, fish, chicken, cheese, some sausage but my ideas for what to eat stop there. Can you guys please let me know some ideas of things I can be eating to keep me under 20 carbs a day. I really appreciate any help. I weigh 290 lbs and I'm only 5'7". So I needs help. Thanks in advance.

I would highly suggest getting a ketone meter and strips to measure your ketone levels. You can get the strips for 2 bucks each here: http://www.universaldrugstore.com/m...es+Test+Strips/

I see that you're on Atkins, and the main problem I have with -- at least the 1995 version, not sure if NANY has this -- that there is no specification on what percentage of your calories should come from fat, protein, and carbs.

For example, I've calculated it and 4 x-large eggs and a tbsp of coconut oil comes out to be 73% fat calories and 27% protein calories. Some people want to get their fat up to 80% of calories or more in order to stay at a high level of nutritional ketosis. See Jimmy Moore's updates on his progress to read more about this. I'm just letting you know this because not eating enough fat is prooobably newbie mistake #1. As long as the fat is not "trans," hydrogenated, corn, soybean, or sunflower oil, eat as much fat as you can. Spectrum expeller-pressed CO is good for scrambling eggs in, and then you've got your bacon grease, lard, etc.

I'm going to try that ginger pork recipe tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 03:04

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

You can also eat shellfish and lots of veggies. There are some recipes at the back of the Atkins book, and many induction friendly recipes on this forum.

I'd suggest ham and eggs, kippers, an omelette or a meat/cheese for breakfast, then - if you're home during the day, you could have soup or salad, plus fish and veggies for lunch, then a meat based meal in the evening - try making your own burgers by shaping 100% minced beef into rounds and frying them with plenty of fresh pepper on the top. Add onions, mushrooms and later tomatoes to fry beside the burger. Top it with a blob of butter or some cheese if you need the extra calories.

Easy soup is made by boiling a can of tomatoes and a bag of frozen veggies together with some seasoning, then whizzing it up. Add extra water if it's too thick.

Easy fish is made by opening a can of mackerel, topping it with sliced cheese and grilling it.. or open a can of sardines and fry them gently with garlic, chili, herbs and sliced tomatoes. You could also buy kippers to boil in the bag and serve with extra butter and a salad.

Dr. Atkins' book has a good salad made from boiled eggs, fried/grilled bacon and lettuce, tossed in mustardy mayonnaise.. And you can ring the changes by using cooked cauliflower instead of the lettuce.

Another food which people say is induction friendly is flax seed, which you can grind into flour in a blender. Here's a recipe for a bun, which you could eat with cream cheese, or a salad/tuna filling for lunch:

http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low...rger-bun-229625

People also make a breakfast muffin, or a "muffin in a minute" for breakfast - you can surf for various recipes.

I personally would limit the use of flax buns, muffins and similar to once each day, because changing your eating habits at this stage will make it easier to stick to the diet long-term, which is essential in order to reach your goal and maintain any weightloss. It would be too easy to swap the buns and muffins for the real thing once the novelty of the diet wears thin.

I'd also suggest that you drink lots of water, and try to cut out other drinks. Have a jug beside you all the time because water helps your body to burn the fat.

When you have time, browse over recipes online for more ideas - Gordon Ramsey's recipes are always good and fast, and there are lots of recipe blogs and low-carb sites where you'll find other ideas. I try to find recipes with lots of good reviews by people who have tried it, like the burger bun one which I posted above.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Wed, Aug-08-12 at 03:10.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 04:26

BF:
Default Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
I think Gravesmom wants some specifics on what are tasty and doable. When I first started out, I felt very overwhelmed when I looked up "low-carb recipes." That's very broad, and there's low-carb everything from gourmet to downright simple.

Gravesmom, do you have any specific needs such as dairy/soy-free? What level of cooking do you prefer as well? I think that will help all of us help you :-)

Its actually gravesmon not mom. I appreciate your help so I guess I can forgive you lol!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 04:31

BF:

Thank you all for your help! I look forward to losing weight and living healthier.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 04:36

BF:
Smile Thank your for this bit of internet gold

Quote:
I'm looking forward to trying this recipe out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/slow.../#axzz22tgZ1dwp

I also like to buy individually wrapped salmon from Costco. I can defrost it in cold water and pop it under the broiler. Easy peasy.

Thank you for linking this. I'm going to spend a good amount of time reading his material because he's smart for one and he reveals exactly the same thing I've always thought which is that or bodies were designed to eat animal fat. I feel truly feel alive when I eat meat and eggs and vegetables versus pizza, donuts, candy bars, French fries many other thousands of unnatural packaged foods!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravesmon
Its actually gravesmon not mom. I appreciate your help so I guess I can forgive you lol!

Sorry about that, won't happen again.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 03:53

BF:
Smile its fine

Quote:
Sorry about that, won't happen again.

I really don't care but thought I would just give you a hard time
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 07:42

I tried the pork thing. It sucked. But with that being said, I still think pork shoulder/butt is a really good cut of meat. I might just cook it all by itself with no seasonings or anything and then just shred it and put lime and salt on it. It's really easy on the stomach.