Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 22:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/239.5/200
BF:
Progress: 39%
Cool Are less carbs better than more carbs?

I have a question and I am sorry if the answer is already out there somewhere and I didn't look hard enough. I have been on Atkins for 5 weeks and have lost 19.5 lbs (and counting!) My question is this- Is there a difference between being in ketosis (eating 20 grams of carbs a day)and eating 30 but still being in ketosis? There is a certain logic behind it, but I don't know if matters. I have been hovering around 17-20 grams a day and have been pretty consistent about losing weight. Obviously the selection of eatable foods increases as the carbs go up, but if there is a disadvantage to adding carbs, I am content eating as I have been. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Randman442
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 04:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

The 20 gram number from Atkins is low deliverately to get people started on the right track. Other LC plans start you out at different numbers. A person could still loose weight on higher carbs, preferably the healthier, sugar/flour/starch free kind. Some people can still lose/be in ketosis at 40/50/60 or higher

Many people have success upping their carbs. It gives a wider variety of food to eat, and in cases of stalls, has actually helped some people get the inches/scale moving again.

Try upping your carbs by 5 grams a week. Keep upping until you start gaining. You will eventually find your critical carb level - the level you need to stay under to lose weight. That number can actually change over time as your body gets healthier, if you exercise, or as your metabolism gets repaired.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 09:23

Stats: 265/239.5/200
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks Angela for the info, but it leads to another question. I may still lose weight at say 35 carbs, but will it be as much as if I stayed at 20? I am trying to figure out the mechanics of it all, I guess.

Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 10:48

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
I may still lose weight at say 35 carbs, but will it be as much as if I stayed at 20?

Maybe, maybe not. The important thing is that you eat in a way that you can stick with - if that means losing a little slower, but you eat a wider variety of things lets this way of eating be more appealing - then increase. The thing I forget sometimes is that this is not a race, I want to lose, feel healthy, and enjoy it! I kind of like losing a bit slower, give my mind and skin a chance to get used to the idea.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 09:46
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I absolutely agree with Talon here.... I'm a BIG believer in making the plan work for you.... tweak it 'til it's something you can live with for a looooooooooong time! You've been LCing for 5 weeks. I've been LCing for 7 months... no way I could have lived on induction level carbs all that time! I would have gotten bored with the food ages ago and probably bailed. I am on Protein Power, where I've recently increased carbs to 55 net/day. Talk about variety!! It's been great! Oh, well, I haven't lost anything for 7 weeks but I will.... I'm patient! I'd rather be content with my foods and lose slowly than go through days/weeks/months feeling deprived.

Good luck to you!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 10:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman442
Thanks Angela for the info, but it leads to another question. I may still lose weight at say 35 carbs, but will it be as much as if I stayed at 20? I am trying to figure out the mechanics of it all, I guess.

It's all about finding a balance that works for you - a carb level that allows you to lose and maintain your health while eating a good variety of foods that keep you interested and content with your chosen WOE.

What your body needs and wants will not remain constant - something else to think about. I've gone through phases where 20g a day allowed me to lose 3 lbs a week but 6 months later caused me to stall and eating 70g a day got me losing again.

I like to think of myself as both a scientist and the science experiment

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 14:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Nat, your post was so informative and helpful!! I was wondering what was going on with my own body,,,I had stayed at 20 grams for the whole 3 months I was on Atkins, and stalled for several weeks. However, we recently went on vacation and I upped my carbs to 35-40 grams, and had a big whoosh the next week!!! It was like my body welcomed the variety in the foods as well as a few extra carbs. Once, when I was a weight watchers member they said your body gets inot a rut if you dont have variety, and wont let go of the fat as easily....maybe its the same with lo carb...ya think??
Thanks for the info!
Randman---great job so far!!!

Cya lighter
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 15:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by musicmama
Once, when I was a weight watchers member they said your body gets inot a rut if you dont have variety, and wont let go of the fat as easily....maybe its the same with lo carb...ya think??
Thanks for the info!

Hiyah musicmama

I don't see why it would be any different with LCing. I've actually heard that eating the same foods day in day out, even eating them at the same times, can slow your progress down. If there is one thing our bodies are great at doing, it's adapting to what we do to them. If you feed it too little food it learns to get by, by holding onto fat and water.

A whoosh followed by an increase in carb levels is not uncommon, just as it's not when you decrease carbs. Think about it this way, if you were doing the same thing day after day with nothing to stimulate or interest you, wouldn't you end up in a rut?

Cheers and congrats!
Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 10:52
Registered Member

Stats: 225/184/135 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

This has been really helpful. I'm 3 1/2 weeks into Induction, and I've been eating the same thing every day. I lost less than a pound this week, and my appetite for the same foods is decreasing.

I just added nuts into my diet, and that little change has been a big motivator. So I don't go overboard, I fill up little 1 oz. plastic cups (like what you'd put ketchup in at a restaurant), and allow myself to snack on that. I also just browsed at a couple organic and health food markets, and realized that my options are a lot more open than I thought -- I just have to put the effort in to find the LC-friendly products. I'd love to stay on Induction to see the results, but my eye has been wandering down dangerous aisles at the supermarket.

--Nancy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 11:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

There's another possible reason that increasing carbs and food variety might be helpful in the weight loss journey. In the Menus and Recipes section of DANDR (1999 edition), Atkins states:
Quote:
... There's also one general principle I'd like to recommend to you because it may save you a fair amount of physical discomfort, and that's the principle of food rotation. There's a tendency for dieters to stick with a pattern of eating that they feel comfortable with, and to repeat the foods that consistently satisfy. But I think that the habit of eating certain foods every day is one you should take pains to avoid. In fact, I would recommend that you never have the same food on successive days. This is a technique of avoiding the ill consequences of food allergies and intolerances, and well worth the effort. ..
Eating the same foods day in and day out can lead to food intolerances that may not have been a problem previously. Beef and dairy products are common culprits here. Food allergies and intolerances are known stallers ... you can read more about this from Atkins' official website.

hth,

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 11:55
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%
Great information, thanks. I sort of make the mistake in eating the same thing day in and day out. I am starting my 5th week on Atkins and still sticking with the basic 20 g a day...and sort of the same meals. Perhaps I should try something new at least ones a week, so far I was terrified that this would make me "fall of the wagen". This week I will start with a diet 7-up....i bought it weeks ago (1 can..lol) and was afraid, that the aspartame will make me stall. It will be a nice change...so far all I had was water, water and more water. But then again I am not sure if I even can drink more fluids....after all the water I drink, it feels like I am drowning from the inside *smile*

Greetings to all

Mischa
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 22:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

I just realized what a rut I am really in, food wise. I think I am gonna go check out the recipe forum and see if I can find some new ones, especially for lunch at work. I usually take a small salad and cut up some meat in it,,,but thats getting boring.
I did get a recipe for Pumpkin Custard that has 6 grams per serving,,,gonna use that on Thanksgiving!! My biggest weakness of that holiday is Pumpkin Pie!!!
Thanks for the quote from the book though,,,,that makes sense!!
Just never thought of it before.
This WOE is really fascinating isnt it...we learn new stuff every day,,,and I am starting to sound like a nutritionist to all my friends!!LOL This is so fun !!!!

cya lighter!