Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  I think I am ready to declare success

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 07:43

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Wonderful story and fantastic success! I think this is something a lot of us can relate to - starting with a friend/family member/co-worker and then finding ourselves alone on the journey. Kudos to you for sticking it out and going the distance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 09:17

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Very inspiring!! Especially when you gained 30lbs back and it didn't stop you- i can relate - gives me the umph to get my butt back in gear and get going towards my goal!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 09:40

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

Thanks RG and joy.

You know, if someone told me back five years ago that it would take five years of struggle to lose the weight, I probably would have said it wasn't worth it and never started. But, I'm so glad I did start. The five years were going to pass anyway -- unless I had died -- and frankly, life was already a struggle just being fat and dealing with my illness. So, I was going to spend five years struggling one way or the other.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I had my fair share of "why mes" over the weight struggle, the regain, the steroids, the MS, etc. I married into a very slender, very petite Vietnamese family, none of whom have ever had a weight struggle. I got very caught up in, "Why can they eat rice and weigh 89 pounds and I smell rice and have an insulin response." But those thoughts didn't do anything to change my reality, so I had to let them go and accept me for who I am.

Acceptance, of my realities and that this WOE as the only way for me to be healthy, is what it finally took for me to stop bouncing around and finally get down to a manageable, healthy weight.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 09:51

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Can I ask what brand of HGC you used? I am thinking of trying it as a jump start while following atkins after but I am confused with all the different brands?

Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 10:19

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

Thanks, Joy. I also did hcg with Atkins following it. I tried it after my steroids, chemo, etc., because for some reason, low carb just seemed to stop working for me at that point. Low carbing alone is working as great maintenance, though, and it even started to work again for losses after first trying the hcg.

I think it is a violation of TOS to post details about the specific product, so I will send you a PM.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 12:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/220/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Gosh, thank you for sharing this wonderful story. It's truly inspiring.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 00:27

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

CONGRATS on sticking with it and getting to goal!!!!! And for sharing your story with us!

I also started lc because my mom and sil were doing it....back in 2003....they quit shortly after. I've stuck with it for the most part all these years. Will always be thankful to them....
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 18:37

Plan: my own
Stats: 283/280/200 Male 185
BF:
Progress: 4%

Inspiration. That's the way I want to be, not trying to do it just living it in a natural way.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 05:38

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Congrats to you for hitting your goal and sticking with the plan, even with all the bumps in the road.

I started the lc woe after my supervisor actually gave me the atkins '72 book (and I wanted to lose some weight before my sons wedding, which was 2 months after I started this woe, which I dropped 20 pounds). I read and re-read that darn thing, I can't tell you how many times. Kept it in my car so at lunchtime I could go out and re-read it. Plus, this forum has the best recipes...I would cut and paste and print them out. Got me a 3-ring binder with tabs and made up my own cookbook. I think dh thought I had lost it!

Like you, the weight just melted off at first but then I got down to the 171-172 point where I couldn't lose any more. Reading about the hcg got my interest so in March, 2011, I started using the drops. I lost about 25 pounds the first round, which was just fantastic! I couldn't believe it actually worked!

Right now I'm holding pretty steady around 156, but like you, I'm middle aged with 2 grown children and 4 grandchildren and I think I look pretty darn good (except for all the extra skin hanging around )for an ole lady

The weight charts has my ideal weight around 149 so I'm going to try to lose a few more pounds. As of yesterday, dh and I joined our local gym which is within walking distance from our house. I'm so excited to get over there today and start firming all this flab up!!

Thank you for sharing your story with us
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-11, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: paleo/primal
Stats: 207/202/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

What a great inspiration. Congrats to you!! Hope to someday be hitting my goals as well. Who cares about what the stupid charts say. We are not going to be boxed into some stupid chart. If you are happy that is all that matters.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 19:40

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%

This is a beautiful story, despite the bumps you never gave up! That's what true determination is all about...doing it for yourself and no one else.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 23:37

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I was so glad to see this thread bumped up again. It's such a great story! I could relate to it so strongly that I figured it would be better to post my experiences right here as another similar success to yours. Hope that's OK.

I also have a neurological condition, transverse myelitis, that in many ways is like MS. For fifteen plus years it has caused severe neuropathic chronic pain. Tried every single pain med that my docs could think of, with no luck. Also, limited mobility was not helping with the 40's weight gain thing! In September 2010 I started a low fat, low cal diet. I lost around 18 pounds, but I felt worse than ever.

Around April, at some point I came across GCBC, and decided to try low carb. Not only did I lose another 18-20 pounds, but amazingly my pain issue improved drastically. Neuropathic pain is notoriously resistant to medical treatment. I had tried dozens of different types of meds. But about a month into LC, I started to notice a drastic difference in this aweful chronic pain. It became way less horrible. It seems kind of random. But the other major condition that can cause neuropathic pain is diabities. And the first thing that is recommended for these patients is controlling blood sugar! Even though my basic blood tests were always in the normal range, I am astounded that something I stumbled upon randomly was never even on the radar of any of my docs! (Especially since it's also considered a neuropathy). To be about 85% better in this regard has greatly improved my life.

The other part of your story that I can totally relate to is getting to a healthy weight and focusing on maintaining. Sure, I would love to lose another ten or fifteen pounds. But like you, I am sick of the weight loss mentality, and into enjoying my new, smaller size. It's simply fun to focus on things like clothes and hair and makeup. I love looking good at 51. 35 pounds ago I dreaded any kind of social event. Now I find that I am, shockingly, often one of the better looking ones at an event, even with a disability. I can feel confident in my appearance and enjoy things. It's nice.

Again, this is not a hijack or a bragging opp. For anyone out there with something like MS or TM or SCI or so many autoimmune type conditions, it might be worth considering or passing on to someone who has one. It was a pretty easy adjustment for me, and the unexpected payoff has been huge.

Obviously there is not much scientific research into this. But maybe if our stories get out there, others might be helped too.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 05:13

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

This was exactly what I was hoping to read. Congratulations and all the best for the maintenance.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: lowcarb 90/10 paleo juddd
Stats: 165/122/115 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

What a great story of working towards a goal for the long haul, instead of going for a quick fix! People like you are very inspiring to those of us who want a real change. Thanks for sharing.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-12, 05:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thank you for sharing your story! I have had great success with Atkins so far, too, but I fear a future plateau where I cannot lose another pound. I have ordered hcg as a backup. I am 61 and losing weight gets harder and harder for me as I age. But I WILL lose weight one way or another! Congratulations on your motivation and success!!!