Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Default diet pills

[COLOR=Navy]I heard that diet pills with ephedra (Stacker 2) will help you loose even more weight faster while doing Adkins...has anyone else heard this??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 21:29

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

ephedra can be very dangerous! Please look it up and read some of the side effects...some can be deadly.

Here's a link to the health center on yahoo: http://health.yahoo.com/search/health?su=&g=&p=ephedra for some articles.

Also, from the Center For Complimentary Medicine: http://nccam.nih.gov/health/alerts/...eradvisory.htm:

Quote:
What is ephedra?
Herbal products containing ephedra (also known as herbal ephedrine alkaloids) are marketed in the United States as dietary supplements that claim to promote weight loss, increase energy, and enhance athletic performance. Ephedrine alkaloids, including the chemical known as ephedrine, are amphetamine-like compounds that potentially have powerful stimulant effects on the nervous system and heart. These alkaloids are found naturally in a number of plants, including the ephedra species of herbs (also known by its traditional Chinese medicine name--ma huang or Chinese Ephedra, or epitonin), but they can also be manufactured in the laboratory.

Like an amphetamine, ephedra stimulates the central nervous system, increasing blood pressure and heart rate, decreasing appetite, and making the user feel energetic. In synthetic form, ephedrine is regulated as a drug and is used as a decongestant for the short-term treatment of asthma, bronchitis, and allergic reactions by opening the air passages in the lungs.

What are ephedra's side effects and risks?
Although dietary supplements containing ephedra are widely used, many adverse event (serious reactions and problems) reports have been received by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These reports have raised questions regarding ephedra's overall safety. Serious side effects reported in ephedra users include nausea and vomiting, psychiatric disturbances such as agitation and anxiety, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and more rarely seizures, heart attack, stroke, and even death. The International Olympic Committee, the National Football League, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, minor league baseball, and the U.S. Armed Forces have all banned the use of ephedra.

Scientific review of ephedra
NCCAM and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Dietary Supplements sponsored, through the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, a systematic review of the existing scientific literature on ephedra efficacy and safety in weight loss and athletic performance enhancement. The report, conducted by the RAND Corporation, is available at www.ahrq.gov/clinic/evrptfiles.htm#ephedra. The review was conducted to assist NIH in developing an appropriate research agenda, to identify gaps in knowledge, and to suggest study designs that would yield more definitive answers regarding its safety.

FDA seeking public comment
The FDA is reviewing whether ephedra-containing products should be on the market. Dietary supplements are not regulated the same way as drugs are. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) requires proof of harm--a higher standard than used in prescription drug development--before a supplement like ephedra can be banned from the market. NIH-sponsored research like the recent RAND report provides the evidence on which decisions about the safety and effectiveness of products can be assessed. On February 28, 2003, the FDA announced that it is asking for public comment on whether, in light of the RAND report and other newly reported research findings, ephedra poses an unreasonable risk as currently marketed under DSHEA.

NCCAM ephedra research
In addition to supporting the RAND study with the NIH Office of Dietary Supplements and a recent study of reports to poison control centers of reactions to ephedra and other herbal products, NCCAM is funding two laboratory studies of ephedra to better understand the mechanism of action and chemical properties of this herb.

Pharmacology of Combined Ephedrine/Caffeine Supplements, University of California, San Francisco
Effects of Ephedra on Human Adrenoceptor Subtypes, University of Mississippi
The National Advisory Council on Complementary and Alternative Medicine will review the RAND report and additional research findings and discuss what further research studies concerning the safety or effectiveness of ephedra might be warranted. The Advisory Council will meet by conference call on March 17, 2003.

Summary
At present, there is no evidence that ephedra products enhance athletic performance and only preliminary evidence that ephedra promotes small amounts of weight loss for a few months. There is evidence that ephedra is associated with an increased risk of side effects, possibly even fatal ones.

NCCAM will be considering further research on ephedra, but in the meantime, people should be concerned about the significant risks it poses while offering limited benefits. While respecting the traditional uses of herbal medicines, their long history, and their potential health benefits, NCCAM believes that ephedra poses unique public health challenges that warrant the public's attention.

Please stay away from it! You may loose faster....but you may also loose more than just weight!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 00:00

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

There's a huge thread in the General Exercise forum that discusses the pros and cons of thermogenic pills.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 12:34

Thank you for your replies and info. I went to the thread and since I don't have any health problems, except wanting to loose some more weight, I am going to try the stacker 2 for awhile. I need the energy and it sounds like you only have problems if you already have problems, or if you take too much.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 12:50

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

3shewolf8
Please make sure that you have a check up with your doctor before starting a stacker. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

I have used a stacker in the past under close supervision by a doctor and personal trainer/nutritionist. I found that I couldn't handle anywhere near the dose they suggest working up to and always stayed at the lowest (starting) dose. I had positive results and no negative side effects at the lowest dose. Everyone is different and anything when used inappropriately or in excess is dangerous. Most people who use stackers cycle them because it isn't good to use anything continuously for an extended period of time. You also might want to consider the possibility of weight gain after discontinuing their use. You might experience a change in your metabolism while on them but also an opposing change when you quit them. All things to think about

That being said, I have found for myself that the combination of Atkins and working out is much preferrable to the use of stackers with diet and working out. I haven't used any stackers with Atkins and haven't seen any need to so long as I take my supplements and follow the Atkins plan. After all one of the basic premises to the Atkins program is "natural", which is always best.

Good luck to you
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 13:09

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

3shewolf8

Glad you have done some research. Just please be careful with it and, yes....see your doc prior to starting.

Articles I've read have emphasized starting at the lowest possible dose and take it only for short term. Cycling off and on is suggested in some places.

My biggest concern with anything containing ephedra is hidden heart disease. You may not have any symptoms, but the added load of ephedra could bring out hidden problems.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 13:20

Thank you for your reply. I will keep everyone informed how things are going. I just found this site yesterday, and I am so glad that I did. I am married with two pre-teen boys and none of them are low-carbing it, so It is hard for me to watch them eating burgers and fries, or popcorn and candy, but with the results I have seen, I will keep up the strength. I take porkrinds into the movies and munch away with a diet soda, and smile the entire time!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 19:34
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I did not know that there was any diet pills out there with ephedra still in it?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 07:29

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToU
I did not know that there was any diet pills out there with ephedra still in it?

Except for leftovers, you won't usually find ephedra products on the shelves anymore. But you can still find them online and usually at a decent price though expect to pay double what you would for a non-ephedra product. Just do a search for various brands using Yahoo! or Google and you'll find a ton of online retailers.

And like mentioned above, definitely make sure your heart can handle the increased heart rate that thermogenics cause. Follow the instructions and never, ever take over the prescribed dosage. For the first few weeks cut the dose in half to see how your body handles it. Play it safe, keep informed and you should do fine.