Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:35

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Unhappy Any suggestions on (delicate subject)

being "backed up". I am so backed up not from this WOE but from medications I am on for pain and although I drink tons of water, taken flax seed, even phsyllum, eating salads, veggies....I have not had a good BM in over a week and my tummy is bloated, I feel like I have a rock inside of me.... I am just about given up going "natural" and thinking of taking a laxative tonight. I rarely ever get constipated by the way...so it must be the medications.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:49

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

Hi Yvonne, did you try calcium-magnesium-zinc? I take three a day and the problem is solved, but I have to make sure I get enough olive oil as well, which I put in my protein powder drink.
I hope you'll find a solution soon
all the best
Willeke
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:50

BF:

Malitol always moved me in the past....maybe I should eat a SF Russell Stover (box???? LOL)

thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 5ft 9 in
BF:Got No Clue
Progress: 9%

Are you eating the protein bars? If so, STOP!! If not, Do not Start!! Everytime I even think about eating one...the train stops!! If you have an health food store nearby they have some herbal pills you can take that will clean you out, everything. Just tell them you want to do a cleanse and they can tell you what to take, should not interfere with your Atkins either.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 19:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If your pain medication contains Codeine, constipation is a very common side effect. Laxatives are perfectly safe for occasional use especially in situations such as this. You might want to try something a bit less harsh such as a stool softener like Dulcolax. Phillips Milk of Magnesia is also a more gentle laxative.
If you do decide to go ahead with a laxative or stool softener, make sure you continue to drink plenty of water to help it work and afterwards to avoid getting constipated again along with plenty of fiber.
If you don't get relief from the laxatives in a day or two, I'd suggest you contact your doctor.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 19:30
Registered Member

Stats: 144/142/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

The best solution I have found is to eat two carbo lite bars in a row, they act like a laxative (without the cramping). I only eat them when I am backed up and there are zero net carbs.
Actually did that today!
Bamalady74
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 22:35

Stats: 204/181/145
BF:
Progress: 39%

After you get "going" if you have more problems then you might want to try taking a pill laxative daily. You can start off with a small amount and go up to what you need to be regular.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 07:35

BF:

Well, since Malitol really affects me (if you get my meaning ) I ate a whole carbolite choco-almond bar AND 1/2 of an Atkins Advantage Bar (glycerine tends to do this sometimes also) and guess what! I spent most of my evening in the BR LOL....and today I am down 2 lbs???? LOL....I doubt this will hold (the weight) but heck...I am so glad it is OVER

Thanks for your suggestions~!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 08:03

Stats: 162/148.5/130
BF:32/?/20
Progress: 42%

Yvonne
Malitol does the same thing to me I ate some of the Carbolite gummy bears and boy was I sorry I was in the bathroom all afternoon so needless to say I am not going to ever eat those again. Glad to hear your problem is solved.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 08:55

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I drink a "diet" tea every evening, it's sometimes called "slimming tea" - comes in all sorts of flavours and does the trick.

Vikki
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 09:05

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Glad your problem is solved... if only temporarily. Plus you got to enjoy sweets!

I find caffeine (especially coffeeactually even DECAF coffee) will cause a trip to the bathroom.

I have a friend who quit this WOE due to this constipation. It's unfortunate. I hope everyong can get unbacked up.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 10:27
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

My morning coffee does the trick for me...and lots of fiber throughout the day in lettuce, greens, etc.

Make sure your FATS are up there...olive oil, butter...put it on everything! Sure helps balance the system!

#13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 13:51

Plan: Atkins pre-maintenance
Stats: 206/164/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 69%

More fats, and try vitamin C instead of malitol next time. 1000 mg 4 to 5 times a day will eventually (in about 24 hours) get things realy going for me.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 15:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by LBDropper
After you get "going" if you have more problems then you might want to try taking a pill laxative daily.

As I mentioned above, this is really not a habit that you want to get into. Taking laxatives daily, even under a physician's supervision, can lead to dependence on laxatives. In other words, after a while of doing this you won't be able to have a bowel movement without them. Occasional use of laxatives is fine and sometimes even necessary, but daily use of laxatives is rarely required.
If someone is getting enough fat, fluid and fiber, the need for a laxative should be very infrequent unless you are put on a medication that causes constipation such as some pain medications or have surgery that can sometimes temporarily slow down the movement of waste through the intestines. In that case, ask your doctor what they would recommend to either prevent or relieve the constipation.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 15:57
Registered Member

Stats: 230/223/150 Female 5ft 9 in
BF:Got No Clue
Progress: 9%

Not to long ago I had a problem where I was lucky if I went every three to four days. My doctor suggested that I clean out my system because you should be going more than one time a day. Then I went and bought some herbal pills from the health food store that is used to do a cleanse. I used it for about a week and now its all clean and working wonderfully. Go at least once most times twice a day. They work really well and do not interfere with Atkins because they it is totally herbal.