Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 17:25

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Red face Delicate Subject!

How long after low carbing did a TOM come for you all?? I've been on the plan about 17 days or so, and voila! - well I think, its so unsual for me to be getting one, that yesterday when I was nauseous and was aching all over I assumed I was sick with the flu, now that I see some signs of perhaps montezeumas revenge coming on (and you know it will be! ) I'm a little embarassed cause in reality it was probably PMS and not the flu! Anyway, did anyone have this experience this fast??

I bet in this forum, you wont find more women thrilled to be getting their monthly "curse!"

P.S. When can I expect my cute little chinny hairs to stop growing or even fall out!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 21:31
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/183/163
BF:
Progress: 57%

Good for you! I've been on this thing about three months now and I think, okay I'm pretty sure, that I've got new hair growth. So I'm hoping soon I won't have the option of joining the circus as the bearded lady. Hopefully someone else who's been doing this longer will have a more positive answer. So from scalp and new hair to chin and no hair, let's keep on keeping on and do what has gotten us results so far. I will continue to pray for you.

pepper
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 09:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Elora Jade,

I started this WOE last February, and lasted strong until around July or August, and sporatically until October. Usually, I NEVER EVER get AF by myself. I usually have to take Provera. HOWEVER, between June and November, I had AF 4 times spontaneously! The last time was actually 28 days exactly from the time before that.

That was in December, and AF hasn't been back since. I have only recently resumed this WOE, and I hope to get everything back on track naturally, although I'm sure I should just call up the doctor and get another prescription for Provera since it has been so long. I just hate to put meds into my body if I know I can do it.

Elizabeth2
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 09:39

BF:
Default Meds

I know the feeling, I blame the Pill for most of the weight gain, and screwing up my TOM even worse. This one is weird, I have had PMS for two solid weeks, then it finally started on Friday. I thought I was gonna die (still do) I couldnt move from a prone position all Fri, Sat and Sunday (even with taking copius amounts of midol). (Occasionally it eased) It is definately reminiscent of my last miscarriage. So it has to be effecting my hormones as far as I can tell.

In the long run thats a good thing, cause DH and I want to get pregnant before I turn 30 and I'd like to be regular if at all possible, my OBGYN tells me that because I had three miscarriages in a row it is likely hormones and not genetics that caused the micarrys - thank you PCOS.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Elora,

This doesn't sound right! Call your doctor. I, too, have PCOS, and have experienced occasional intense pain. Sometimes brought experienced with and without AF.

It turned out to be ruptured cysts on the ovaries. (PCOS) There's nothing really that can be done for them, but the do reccomend staying off feet and taking (real) pain meds.

As for conceiving - GO FOR IT! My DH and I went through infert. treatments two separate occasions. We have two beautiful children, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but it was not a simple process.

I went on ovulation induction, and I had to have injectables (administered by DH) every evening, and bloodwork EVERY DAY during the cycle. And (thanks, PCOS) I hyperstimulated both times. This is a very common occurance in PCOS women.

If I had it to do all over again, and could choose diet over medication, I probably still would have tried the meds in this case. I was in a hurry, and I felt confident that they would work. I have nothing to be in a hurry about anymore, and that is why I am LCing now. I just want my body to function normally, and to be healthy and strong so that I can enjoy my two miracle babies.

Elizabeth2
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 16:58

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Long time met taker here

Hi all,

I saw one of your posts asking if anyone had been taking met for a long time and also about chin hairs.

I've been on met for 2 years (ok it's not 10 but hey... I'm still on it) and I've been LC for a few months.

After starting my met, I quickly started my periods within 1 month. I was thrilled (even though it started on December 31st and I couldn't completely "celebrate" with DH)

As for chin hairs, I'm still waiting!!!!!!!!!

They don't seem to dissapear or even want to diminish one bit. I'm now considering lazer treatment (if someone has more info on it. I actually would like to speak to someone who actually went through it instead of a doctor telling me how good he is)

I wish I could tell you more encouraging words for the chin hairs. But in general I can honestly say that I feel more and more like my old self and more like a woman because of Met. It is truly the best medication in the world. I would recommend it to anyone who asks what they could do to help their PCOS. This disease is hell and TG for who ever figured out the met for us.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:04

BF:
Default Yer bustin by bubble here!

I was sooo hoping that if my system got back to normal, I could be skinny (one day) and have no chin hairs! They are really annoying, I'm the only one who see's em, the hubby dosent notice them, and he's the only one close enough too.

Sorry, I havent been on MET, my OBGYN wanted me on all sorts of other meds, specifically to conceive (progesterone and clomid) but other than that he has never mentioned MET.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:42

BF:
Default Sorry...

Was not trying to burst your bubble. I'm the type of person that needs to know how it will be so I tend to just throw it out there.

As for being skinny... I'm sure you can achieve that!!! I'm also certain that for both you and I and the others with same problems, that as you lose the weight, and your hormones become more normal again, that some of these things will start to either deminish, or get normal again. Like for our hair to stop growing where it shouldn't!!! (one can hope right?!)

Anyhow, I certainly suggest Met and mostly that you learn everything you can about PCOS. It's your best tool to gain control back over your health. You are the key to the door...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/183/163
BF:
Progress: 57%

Has anybody had any new hair growth on the met? I've been seeing new hair grow in on the top--small now but growing. And I'm just LCing. I finally made it down to 190! I need to go buy more clothes. Yeah! Though I don't know how much longer I can hold up to smelling crab rangoon. Love the stuff! You know, if we pluck the little beggars off our chin long enough maybe they'll eventually stop growing. Or maybe we can transplant them on top of our heads. Haha.
Keep reaching,

pepper
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 03:20

BF:
Default Hi Pepper

I do have more hair on top since Met & LC.

I unfortunately don't see any improvement on my chin. I've even had a couple new ones. Didn't they hear the news yet that it's quittin time down there? There's a new boss in town and he wants to fire them!!!!!! (excuse me this morning I'm delireous )
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 08:57

Plan: CAD
Stats: 272/267/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Laser Treatment

For those of you questioning facial hair. Glucophage or Met will not prevent hair from gowing. It will help reduce some new hair growth but not permanent.

I have very course dark hair on my chin and neck...I HATE it with a passion. I hate the hair on my face more than I hate the weight and I'm very heavy and hate my weight.

I am a true believer of Laser Hair removal....I have had one..that's right! ONE treatment and I truly see a difference. I went to my evaluation and was so skeptical but I was given a 50% off discount if I paid that day...So I did it!! I am so thankful that I made the decision. They say that it should take someone like myself about 6 treatments to get rid of all of the hair...If I can tell after just one...I CAN'T WAIT for my other treatments. I have it really really bad too..very course, thick and dark. The darker the hair the better the results.

I hope this helps anyone who is skeptical...what do you have to lose? I say go for it!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 10:03

BF:
Default Lazer hair removal

I was told by someone that when you have that procedure done that your skin changes colour where they zapped. That the skin gets a few tints lighter. Is that true???

Because I would even consider that if it meant not having to pluck anymore.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 10:10

BF:
Progress:
Default Laser

As long as you stay out of the sun during the weeks of treatment. You must where a sunscreen on your face. Which is good to do anyway.

The treatments are once every 6 weeks! I don't believe the skin will turn unless your exposed a lot to the sun or tanning bed.

My advice...sunscreen!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 13:14

BF:
Default Permanent??

But is it permanent??? I would be concerned about forking out moola over years to have it keep coming back!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 13:48

BF:
Progress:
Default Laser

Yes....it is permanent!!!! FINALLY....something other than plucking, waxing, Nadding, etc... I believe in it and if I believe...you can trust that it has really worked for me. I have tried everything. I bought everything you could think of..from different wax, to electrolosys..you name it I bought it. I was the hair removal infomercial queen....haha