Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210.2/150 Female 5'2"
BF:"weigh"/too/much
Progress: 30%
Default I'm so upset!!!

After carefully following the WOE and beginning to get compliments I went and blew it this weekend! We did some entertaining at home and one of the guests brought over some pastry from a new bakery in town. I've been able to resist all kinds of goodies in the past 5 weeks on Atkins but I let my resistance down for a minute and as soon as every one left, I attacked the pastry. As if that wasn't enough, I continued to cheat the rest of the weekend. Last night at dinner over a grilled chicken caesar salad, I ate one of the complimentary rolls served at the restaurant. I'm so disgusted at myself right now!! Can anyone out there relate to this because the simple fact that coworkers began to compliment the changes they're seeing should have been enough to give me a boost to continue on the plan. Why did I sabotage my own success? Has anyone had a similar situation like this happen and how do I make sure it doesn't happen again?? I know the kind people on this forum will help me thru this...thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 10:44

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%

Dont be so hard on yourself. You are not alone. I honestly dont think this is going to undo what you have done in the last 5 weeks. Yes it was bad but you dont have to give up. You may gain a lb or 2 or 3. Make sure you drink plenty of water and watch your carb carefuly for a few days (you may want to go by induction for a few days). You will get back on track. I have had my moments of weakness and recovered and so will you. Use this as a motivator to be very concience of your foods for a while. Now smile and eat a salad.
~*~Tammie~*~
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 10:56

Stats: 175/157/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't beat yourself up about it, it happens Just jump right back on the wagon! Drink lots of water, and get some exercise in to empty out those glycogen stores. Before you know it you'll be losing again.

Cheers!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 11:13
Registered Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advise but feeling as I do now I never want to cheat again!! Tonight DH and I will be celebrating our 22nd Valentine's Day together with an Omaha Steak "Anniversary Dinner" for two consisting of Steak and Lobster!! This summer we'll cruise thru Alaska and I want to look and feel terrific so I'll begin induction again and go forward...no looking back!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 11:15
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

You know what? Last weekend is over...

And beating yourself up or feeling bad about it isn't really going to help you get back on track. Be kind to yourself. Of course we're going to slip up every now and again, the trick is to get back on track and leave yesterday behind.

Think "that was then, this is now"

You'll be fine. It was just one weekend...and that particular weekend is gone now. Gone!

Who cares? I mean, there isn't anything you can do about what happened yesterday, only today.

Here's something to consider - it's the idea that the decisions we make today directly influence our future. Yesterday doesn't count, because we can't re-do or re-create yesterday. But we *can* influence today.

Just today. What we do today will influence our tomorrows.

Forget about yesterday!!!

It's over, it's gone and it's done.

Can't undo, re-do, or change it.

And seriously - making yourself feel bad about something that cannot be changed is the recipe for making *today* awful. Don't let yesterday ruin today.

Focus on what you can control, and what you can change - and that's today. There's no point wasting energy on that which we cannot change.

You've got some energy today - channel it towards today and not yesterday.

Good luck and never mind LAST weekend
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 11:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

This is a process and cheating is just part of the process. Have you weighed yourself? I have found that even a couple of cheat days will not stop your weightloss. I went on vacation to Ohio last summer and I ate more carby stuff than normal but when I returned home, I was down 4 lbs.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 11:28

Stats: 263/241/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:Above Avg.
Progress: 28%

The one thing you said that stuck out to me, from personal experience is the compliments from the co-workers. Yes you have lost weight and you look great. However, don't get over confident! That's what happened to me last year. I started to think one or two slip ups here and there isn't going to hurt. I've done great I deserve it???? What do you deserve???? I got lucky and only gained back 1/3 of the weight I lost, before I got back on track.

So two things to consider. Don't get to cocky about your progress, this isn't a contest, it's your health. Second, like others have said. Tomorrow is gone, live for today. Don't beat yourself up just pick yourself up and get back on track. You already have the right mind set, so just vent as you have admit your mistake and move on.

Best of luck to you.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 11:33
Registered Member

Stats: 238/226/140 Female 64 inches
BF:40%/28%/21%
Progress: 12%
Default I, too, have cheated....

this past weekend. I had a whole wheat biscuit the size of a tomcat's head yesterday. I simply could not resist. It's a human thing. I've been good today and simply know that occasionally I will cheat. Don't beat yourself up, OK.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 11:34
Registered Member

You know EXLarge...I thought about that as I wrote it too. In the past when I've tried to lose weight I've always fallen off the wagon as soon as the compliments started and come to think of it, my mentality was exactly what you described as cocky. I did feel as if one cheat was my reward for doing well and feeling good. Well, I know now that I can't do that to myself because I'm not able to stop at just one bite. There are too many LC treats that I enjoy and am allowed so I don't need the bread!! I love the bread but its become my worst enemy!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 11:51

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

I blew it this weekend to, and I was not planning on it I was really going into my BF's and my special V.Day weekend say I wont cheat well man oh man did I screw that up! All I can say is I going to start back up strong, and you can too. I mean it was only 1 day I really messed up I did pretty good friday and saturday! So live and learn this is not the end and I know I can return to this and fix whatever that has been undone!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 12:30

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Of course it wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeware
I attacked the pastry. As if that wasn't enough, I continued to cheat the rest of the weekend. Last night at dinner over a grilled chicken caesar salad, I ate one of the complimentary rolls served at the restaurant.

This is the entire reason LC works differently--it STOPS the problem of "never enough!" I could never figure out why some times I could stop and sometimes I couldn't and with LC, I HAVE A CLUE!!

Once the insulin surging starts, which for me happens with high carby foods, it can take a few days to settle back down. Alpha-lipoic acid will help a little, as will plenty of water, and exercise. Easier in the long run to not go there in the first place.

WOL, not a diet.

Good luck, and glad you made it back.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 12:32

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think everybody could confess to blowing the program occassional. Don't let it get you down because that when your likly to dump this whole WOL. Last summer I did the same thing and couldn't seem to get through induction level. The cravings were worse than previous times. It took a couple of tries but Hang in and don't worry about being perfect.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 12:41

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

My second time seems to be more difficult as well, is the common?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 15:00
Registered Member

Stats: 130/120/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up I can totally relate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeware
After carefully following the WOE and beginning to get compliments I went and blew it this weekend! We did some entertaining at home and one of the guests brought over some pastry from a new bakery in town. I've been able to resist all kinds of goodies in the past 5 weeks on Atkins but I let my resistance down for a minute and as soon as every one left, I attacked the pastry. As if that wasn't enough, I continued to cheat the rest of the weekend. Last night at dinner over a grilled chicken caesar salad, I ate one of the complimentary rolls served at the restaurant. I'm so disgusted at myself right now!! Can anyone out there relate to this because the simple fact that coworkers began to compliment the changes they're seeing should have been enough to give me a boost to continue on the plan. Why did I sabotage my own success? Has anyone had a similar situation like this happen and how do I make sure it doesn't happen again?? I know the kind people on this forum will help me thru this...thanks in advance.

A wise doctor I know once said, "Nobody can be 100%...100% of the time." I totally agree. Just pick yourself up and realize you are human and none of us are flawless. Just keep on keepin' on. Good luck.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 15:02

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

The problem with any diet is ONCE you cheat you feel like giving up
You have to train yourself that if you do cheat to just get over the cheat and get back on the diet
if you don't you will keep eating