Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 23:22

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Exclamation A Week in the Zone Corrections

Here are several corrections to the printing errors in "A Week in the Zone"

Page 6: 5 should state, "Drink about a 1/2 gallon of water per day."

Page 48: Should mention people require 2 Zone snacks per day; one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Snack choices are listed on pg. 101.

Page 78: Should read, "1/5 cup COOKED brown rice".

Page 59: Should read, "2/3 cup COOKED steel-cut oats".

Page 79: Should read, "1 cup COOKED steel-cut oats".

Page 92: Huevos Rancheros: instead of 1 cup honeydew, should read "1 cup strawberries and 1 cup blueberries as a side dish."

Page 101: Snacks: the snack of 1 cup 1% milk should only have 1 macadamia nut, not 3.

Page 158: 1/4 cup of pasta listed uner "Female" should not be listed there. It should be listed under "Male".

Page 160: Should read, "If you feel hungry within two to three hours after your last meal, and experience a drop-off in mental focus (due to low blood sugar), it is because you consumed too much carbohydrate relative to the amount of protein at your last meal. Simply make that same meal in the future and keep the protein constant, but reduce the carbohydrate amount by 10 grams. On the other hand, if you feel hungry before any four to six hour cycle ends, but maintain good mental focus, you're pushing insulin levels too low. The brain has a sensing system that picks up low insulin levels in the bloodstream and tells you to eat to increase insulin levels, even though the brain is getting plenty of blood sugar (hence the good mental focus). Simply make that same meal in the future, and add 10 grams of carbohydrate to that meal. In essence, what you are doing is adjusting your personal hormonal carburetor to put yourself in the center of the Zone. In either case, you should also add more monounsaturated fat to either meal because fat releases the hormone cholecystokinin (CCK) that promotes a feeling of fullness, which is known as satiety."

Page 220: Appendix C should include Mixed protein/carbohydrate ( 1 block protein and 1 block carbohydrate)

Page 220: Protein blocks are for uncooked portions.

Milk, low-fat 1 cup
Yogurt, plain 1/2 cup
Tempeh 1 oz.

Page 225: Pineapple, cubed should be listed under "unfavorable carbohydrates"

Page 229: 1 block [fat] peanut butter should be 1/2 teaspoon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 04:14
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

ZC thanks for the info.

1 more question- am I supposed to count the total carbs in foods or subtract the fiber?

Nancy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 12:17

1 more question- am I supposed to count the total carbs in foods or subtract the fiber?

Nancy [/B][/QUOTE]

Nancy,

Yes, the fiber is always subtracted from the carb count to give you the actual insulin producing carbohydrate.

FYI ~ Protein is not counted in plant based foods other than soy. For example: The protein in peanut butter is not counted. Peanut butter is counted as fat. Legumes are counted as carbs (substract the fiber) and do not count the protein.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 12:17

Nancy

Nancy,

Yes, the fiber is always subtracted from the carb count to give you the actual insulin producing carbohydrate.

FYI ~ Protein is not counted in plant based foods other than soy. For example: The protein in peanut butter is not counted. Peanut butter is counted as fat. Legumes are counted as carbs (substract the fiber) and do not count the protein.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

More questions for ZC

for reduced sugar fruits on pg 49 of A Week In The Zone I bought canned fruit that was packed in its juice and the other in light syrup. It that what "reduced sugar" means?

The oranges end up being 15 carbs and the pineapple 20. So I think these meals end up being more then I am supposed to eat. By the calculations I should be eating the minimum for women. Also I thought the snacks were what they were calling dessert. This seems to be plenty of food, do you think I should add the snacks too?

When I last had my bodyfat measured I have 94lbs of lean weight.

Thanks,
Nancy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 12:56

Quote:
Originally posted by nawchem
More questions for ZC

for reduced sugar fruits on pg 49 of A Week In The Zone I bought canned fruit that was packed in its juice and the other in light syrup. It that what "reduced sugar" means?

The oranges end up being 15 carbs and the pineapple 20. So I think these meals end up being more then I am supposed to eat. By the calculations I should be eating the minimum for women. Also I thought the snacks were what they were calling dessert. This seems to be plenty of food, do you think I should add the snacks too?

When I last had my bodyfat measured I have 94lbs of lean weight.

Thanks,
Nancy

Hello Nancy,

My WitZ book is currently out on loan, so I am not exactly sure of the reference. Fresh and frozen fruits are more zone favorable than canned. When choosing canned fruits, pick those pack in its own juice or other juices. A label of reduced sugar or "light" only means there's less sugar used in the processing than that company's regular process. Dr. Sears recommends choosing fruits lower on the glycemic index scale as often as possible. Pineapple is quite high on the scale, however there's nothing wrong with having it as an occasional treat. Remember to balance each meal. A 3 block meal is 21g protein, 27g carb and 9g fat.

Snacks are also balanced ~ 1 block ie: 7gP, 9gC, 3gF . They are very important in keeping in the Zone. A typical female on an 11 block plan would have 3 meals and 2 snacks although you can break your meals up any way you want. If you want to break your meals up into 2 blocks and have more snacks, that's fine, as long as you have 11 blocks. Just remember to follow the basic rules :
•Always eat within one hour after waking.
•You must eat a minimum of 3 meals and 2 snacks every day. Afternoon and late evening snacks are critically important for staying in the Zone.
•A Zone meal should give you 4-5 hours in the Zone, a Zone snack 2-2.5 hours. You must eat every 4-5 hours after a meal or 2-2.5 hours after a snack, whether you are hungry or not, to stay in the Zone. In fact, the best time to eat is when you aren't hungry. That means your insulin levels are stabilized.
•Lack of hunger and clear mental focus are excellent barometers that you are in the Zone.
•Drink (AT LEAST) eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
•Exercise on a regular basis.
I hope this helps.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 18:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question

ZoneCoach,

The eating within an hour of waking would be a problem for me. I like to do my cardio exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The exercise suppresses my appetite for a couple of 2 hours. I usually do cardio at 4:30 a.m. for at least 30 mins. I am so HOT from the cardio, that I take time to pack my breakfast and lunch, lay out my work clothes, etc., stalling for about 1/2 an hour before taking a shower (doesn't do much good to shower if I'm still perspiring!). Then I take a shower, put on makeup, style my hair, etc. At 5:50, I wake my 9 year old for school and make his breakfast. We leave for before school daycare about 6:40 and I arrive at work about 7:00. I eat breakfast at my desk then (~7:00 a.m.).

Typical breakfast is either some leftover meat or deli turkey breast lunch meat, and maybe a bit of veggies. I have a snack about 10:00 a.m. (usually broccoli w/dip and about 1 oz. of meat or cheese). Then on Mon., Wed. & Fri. I leave for the gym at 11:30 a.m. to do resistance training (weight machines). I eat lunch about 12:30 when I get back to work (usually a chef salad w/leftover meats or whatever meats and veggies leftover from yesterday's dinner). After lunch, I am usually not hungry until dinner time -- don't usually want a snack. I might have an evening snack, depending on when we have dinner. If we have dinner at 7:00 or later, I am usually falling asleep on the sofa by 8:30 or 9:00, so I don't eat a snack. If we have dinner at 6:00, I might eat an evening snack.

Will this type of schedule work with the Zone? I think I might have a problem if the meal schedule is very inflexible? Also, what about weekends when we have no set schedule? With Atkins, I keep beef jerky and almonds in my purse for snacks when traveling. What types of portable snacks does the Zone recomend?

Thanks for your help.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 15:36

The Zone should help you keep up with your busy schedule!

Please remember the Zone is about hormonal control (ex. insulin). That is why it is important to have your B4 bed snack, to stabilize you thru the night and to eat (at least a block) within one hour of waking.

I know it's hard to get into the idea of not exercising on an empty stomach, but once your "Zoning", your body will burn FAT 24/7. It might be something as simple as a cup of 2% milk to start your day. It's not exactly 100% Zone, but close enough (most folks don't need to be exactly precise to reap the benefits of the Zone), or what about 1/4C non-fat cottage cheese, about 9 grapes and 1 macadamian nut? Even 1/2 of a Zone bar is enough to get you going. Those are some things that may not upset your exercise routine. Then, by the time you can sit down and eat breakfast, make it 2 blocks. You may want to have another snack around 10:30.
Once you are in the "Zone", you should find you're not nodding off early. Try to get that bedtime snack in there ~ it's very important.
All of the same snacks you're accustomed to are fine with the Zone. You just need to add some low glycemic carbs and monounsaturated fat (unless your protein source is high fat). From what I know of Atkins, there's TOO MUCH saturated fat "allowed". Some great snacks are: Soy nuts, jerky, string cheese, 1/2 Zone bars, deli meat, etc. Just remember to balance everytime you eat.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 00:31

Bump
for all those who recently purchased A Week in the Zone