Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 09:56

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 242/225/150 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:39%/39%/24%
Progress: 18%
Default Ketostix Q

I'm trying to check my interpretation of what I've been reading on ketostix.

As I understand it, the reading on a ketostix can have a different significance depending upon when/what one has last eaten.

For example, one might take a ketostix reading at the end of a fast (say, pre-breakfast in the AM) that shows a light keto burn. Then take another reading after a meal that shows a moderate keto burn.

Ultimately, since the AM reading was at the end of a fast, still in the fasting state, any ketones indicated are those resulting from burning body fat -- which is just what we want. While the ketone burn demonstrated on a ketostix after consuming a meal is more likely to reflect the burning of dietary fat -- which may help dispose of the fat in the meal one has just eaten, but won't help dispose of body fat.

So we need to pay careful attention to when & what we've last eaten in interpreting the results of the ketostix.

Right???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 10:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Maybe try testing on a regular eating day 2-3 hours after eating and that might give you a better baseline reading.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Maybe try testing on a regular eating day 2-3 hours after eating and that might give you a better baseline reading.

If I am not deliberately fasting, I rarely go 2 hours without eating something on a "regular eating day."
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 10:48

BF:

When you get Keto adapted you will not be hungry that soon and will find yourself going many more hours before having hunger, if that's why you're eating in 2 hours.

The full fat foods you are eating and ditching the sugar in your diet will do it. When the blood sugar is constantly going up and down due to fluctuating BS and the Pancreas is constantly pumping put insulin (hormone) will stop and that will stabilize you and keep you full for much longer.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 10:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not right. Ketostix are a crude measure of fat-burning, and more likely, your state of hydration. And for some reason seemingly unrelated to food, many people have higher ketone readings in the evening than morning.

New short explanation: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/0...ng-ketones.html

Quote:
if you’re using a ketogenic diet primarily for fat loss, it’s not necessary to measure your ketones. Ketones are the result, not the cause, of breaking down fat. Having higher ketones doesn’t guarantee you’ll lose more body fat or lose it more quickly, so your ketone level tells you nothing about how effective your diet is for reaching that particular goal. Remember: ketones come from breaking down fat, which is great, but if your ketone level is high, you can’t be sure whether it’s from burning the fat on your body or from the fat on your plate. (Or in your fat-loaded coffee, if you’re into that.) A scale, not a ketone meter, is your best tool for gauging weight loss, and if you’re going for fat loss, a tape measure is even better. The knowledgeable people in the KetoGains community have a saying for fat loss: “Chase results, not ketones.”

The longer good series on the same topic: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/search?q=ketosis+ketostix

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Mar-04-18 at 11:07.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 11:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebenRedux
If I am not deliberately fasting, I rarely go 2 hours without eating something on a "regular eating day."

If you want to lose weight, Dr. Westman suggests 3 meals a day, a snack only if needed, and after being fat-adapted, just Eat when Hungry. Many on the clinic diet eat only once or twice a day, resulting in a good period in each day with lower insulin. A 4-8 hour eating window is common. http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/inte...nt-fasting.html

He is not a fan of extended fasts, but you also should not be eating every 2 hours.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 11:14

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Ultimately, since the AM reading was at the end of a fast, still in the fasting state, any ketones indicated are those resulting from burning body fat -- which is just what we want. While the ketone burn demonstrated on a ketostix after consuming a meal is more likely to reflect the burning of dietary fat

Right???

I had that same assumption, but I'm no longer sure it is that clear. When I first started testing, I got a lot of negatives, leading me to believe I was not in ketosis. I then started testing in the afternoon and got much higher readings. This led me to the conclusion that the ketones were from dietary fat, rather than body fat. I went through a experimenting phase, where I tested urine, blood and breath ketones, and found that even when the urine or breath showed no ketones, I still showed some level of blood ketones. Not saying that answers your question, but it convinced me that measuring ketones is not always a clear indication of what's going on. The way I now use them is I only test in the afternoon, when the reading is highest, and only to see the results of changes I may have made to my menu. The level of my ketones does not seem to correlate with my weight loss. I guess that's a long answer to say I don't know.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 11:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Not right. Ketostix are a crude measure of fat-burning, and more likely, your state of hydration. And for some reason seemingly unrelated to food, many people have higher ketone readings in the evening than morning.

The longer good series on the same topic: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/search?q=ketosis+ketostix

Thanks Janet, You're so much better at answering these questions than I am.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 13:27

Quote:
When you get Keto adapted you will not be hungry that soon and will find yourself going many more hours before having hunger, if that's why you're eating in 2 hours.

The full fat foods you are eating and ditching the sugar in your diet will do it. When the blood sugar is constantly going up and down due to fluctuating BS and the Pancreas is constantly pumping put insulin (hormone) will stop and that will stabilize you and keep you full for much longer.

Looking forward to THAT!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 14:08

BF:

Quote:
Looking forward to THAT!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 18:54
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Dietitians often opine we need to eat often to "speed up our metabolism" as many as 6 small meals-a-day!

BTW: there are 'keto-meters" like a glucose meter -- way more informative than those fickle strips tat never worked for me.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-18, 07:21

Quote:

Meme#1, you are SO right on this! After a month on LCHF, I'm enjoying the longer periods I'm now going between feedings. And really loving how my mind and body no longer feel jerked around, up and down, by the influence of carbs. This way of eating is such a Win.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-18, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Quote:
if you’re using a ketogenic diet primarily for fat loss, it’s not necessary to measure your ketones. Ketones are the result, not the cause, of breaking down fat. Having higher ketones doesn’t guarantee you’ll lose more body fat or lose it more quickly, so your ketone level tells you nothing about how effective your diet is for reaching that particular goal. Remember: ketones come from breaking down fat, which is great, but if your ketone level is high, you can’t be sure whether it’s from burning the fat on your body or from the fat on your plate. (Or in your fat-loaded coffee, if you’re into that.) A scale, not a ketone meter, is your best tool for gauging weight loss, and if you’re going for fat loss, a tape measure is even better. The knowledgeable people in the KetoGains community have a saying for fat loss: “Chase results, not ketones.”

The quote you posted actually makes my point (and answers my Q):

"...if your ketone level is high, you can’t be sure whether it’s from burning the fat on your body or from the fat on your plate."

This is good to know. I was suspecting the ketostix was too unreliable (dependent upon too many variables) to be useful for weight loss purposes.
But, I have to admit, at this early stage, it's still gratifying to see that small or moderate purple.

Also, it just occurred to me that the ketostix could be helpful in monitoring the dehydration that I've struggled with since the statin reaction. (So severe during the worst of the reaction that it triggered PVCs.)

During keto (and in the absence of any other signs/symptoms of dehydration), might it be safe to assume one is getting enough H2O as long as the stick isn't staining deep purple?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-18, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
I had that same assumption, but I'm no longer sure it is that clear. When I first started testing, I got a lot of negatives, leading me to believe I was not in ketosis. I then started testing in the afternoon and got much higher readings. This led me to the conclusion that the ketones were from dietary fat, rather than body fat. I went through a experimenting phase, where I tested urine, blood and breath ketones, and found that even when the urine or breath showed no ketones, I still showed some level of blood ketones. Not saying that answers your question, but it convinced me that measuring ketones is not always a clear indication of what's going on. The way I now use them is I only test in the afternoon, when the reading is highest, and only to see the results of changes I may have made to my menu. The level of my ketones does not seem to correlate with my weight loss. I guess that's a long answer to say I don't know.

Very helpful. You've already performed the battery of tests I was envisioning would be necessary to get closer to the answer. And while the answer still isn't perfectly clear, it doesn't need to be for my purposes. I've gravitated to using the ketostix as you do, not so much for a body fat loss measure but to check for untoward effects of adding a new food item to my diet.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-18, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Dietitians often opine we need to eat often to "speed up our metabolism" as many as 6 small meals-a-day!

BTW: there are 'keto-meters" like a glucose meter -- way more informative than those fickle strips tat never worked for me.

Exactly why, pre-LCHF, I was wavering between periods of mostly grazing with infrequent fasting. And, even worse, eating that frequently with carbs. The advice of (the wrong) doctors.

Checked out those meters -- a bit too $$ for my budget. Do you find the meter helps you gauge actual body fat loss?

(Just saw your stats, you're only 10# from goal! Awesome! Inspiration for a newcomer.)