Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 14:44

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Body for Life - Is it for me?

There has been some interest around the forum in the last few months, regarding Body for Life. Natrushka is doing it and has been for a while. I've read a few other journals where folks are mentioning it and I have a lot of curiousity about it and the people who are doing it.

I'm planning to start myself, within the next week or so. (Date uncertain as I wait for the delivery of my weights.) Ruth is my BFL Buddy and we started our relationship yesterday with a trip to the fitness equipment store and the supplement supplier. Interesting day.

What I'd like to invite you to post here is your current experience with Body for Life. How's it going? Do you feel there is a change happening? What is YOUR personal goal with doing BFL? What supplements are you taking and why? What one thing would you tell someone about to start?

I'm looking forward to reading your answers. Please take a bit of time to share with me and all of the rest of the members of the forum. YOU could inspire a couple of people who might each inspire a couple of people and ......

Marlaine
Member Elect of Bodacious LC Babes with BFL Bodies
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 15:24

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Marlaine - I'm on my second week of my second attempt. My first attempt ended at the beginning of December with a bad cold that didn't want to go away.

I'm really enjoying it! It gives a nice structure for people like me who need "a plan". I was unbelieveably sore the first week, but that seems better now. I'm still occasionally a bit sore, but I figure that means its working! I don't know if things are changing yet...its too soon to tell. I plan to weigh and measure at the end of week 4. I'm finding it hard to find time to do a full 6 day week...so I will take weekends off (and miss an aerobic workout) without really worrying about it. Some competing goals (like taking a running clinic) occasionally get in the way but I decided that as long as its all to improve myself that its okay. I honestly can't wait to measure and find out if its working.

I did just buy a pair of size 10 jeans!!!!!
...they are a wee bit tight, but not for long!
Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 15:51

Plan: Atkins 30-50carbs
Stats: 153/140/120
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hi guys!
New to Low carb for this reason. I did BFL religiously for 4 months. The exercise program is very tough and works your body hard. I lost 12 cm all up but only lost about 6 pounds. So not even really a dress size. This was very discouraging and has now led me to low carbing. While the excercising gave me energy and I felt great I was just not losing the weight I wanted and that wa my whole motivation. I felt the diet of BFL was too much food for me. Every two hours, equal parts of protein and carb at each meal. Also, because I wanted to keep things natural, I was actually having a "meal" for 4-5 meals rather than substitute protein/carb shakes for three meals. I have taken a break from the exercise program over the holidays but am back into it today. So for me the excercises made me feel great, made me work harder than any other program I've ever done, but the diet for me now will be low carbs. In one week I can see results from the diet alone, so now when I combine the excercise back in I should achieve my goals!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 20:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

I'm so excited for you Marlaine You're going to love this, specially if you've never done a training program like it before.

How's it going? It's going great. I am in the middle of week 9 now (the time just flew by) and I am already looking foward to the next 12 weeks challenge.

I not only feel there is a change happening, I can see it. I've lost weight in the past and I'd always end up looking like a smaller version of myself. My shape is changing; my hips are narrower, my legs are leaner and I can actually see my shoulder and back muscles when I flex. There is a feel component to it too; I feel powerful and I feel strong - not just because I can lift so much weight, but because I get up every day and I do this for myself.

As the book directed I set goals: to get to 18% BF, to wear my guess jeans (hey they fit!), to proudly wear a sleeveless dress, to lose 20 lbs of fat (15 gone so far), to be able to do 30 regular push ups (can manage 15 as of Saturday). My biggest goal is to be comfortable with the body I make (the French have a saying that doesn't translate well "se senser bien dans son peau")

Supplements: I'd been taking Cal/Mag (1000mg/500mg), E (400-800 I.U.), C (500-1000 mg), biotin (1000mg), CoQ10 (60mg) and a good multi vitamine the entire time I was LCing. With BFL I added Glutamine (10 -15g), Hydroxycut (3 pills a day) and 2 tbsp flaxoil in my protein shakes. I also started supplementing with more protein shakes to reach the 1.35g of protein per lb of LBM I needed. The E & C are powerful antioxidants and help after a workout to control free radical damage from cortisol that is released when you are under stress. The glutamine is a life saver; it greatly alleviates the pain you feel the next day. It also helps prevent muscle wasting and bolsters the immune system. Flaxoil is another essential, literally. It's a source of EFAs; it helps with muscle recovery and fatty acid breakdown among many other things.

I have modified the food plan that B. Phillips recommends; keeping it more PP Level II (50 - 70g of carbs) and I have suffered no ill sideffects. I am not tired nor did I lose lean muscle. I found the 6 meals a day took some planning; and I do use Free Day to indulge in eating less (not more).

What would I tell someone about to start? Start . Do it for yourself, you won't regret what you get out of it. It's tough, it's demanding and it's worth it.

Good luck everyone.
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/187/120
BF:
Progress:

NAT, can u tell me more info about the program?? where do I begin? is there a website, or what kinda exercises does the program consist of? my problem is I have all my weight on my mid section I really wanna get rid of it, would this help it??...is there a book or a web site, and how hard is this program??
thanx
~*LORENA*~
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 21:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

BFL is now on my books-to-get list

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 21:55

Plan: Southbeach (Phase 2)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 5'3"
BF:32/%/?/20%
Progress: 6%

I have just started BFL, but can't do the excercise first thing in the morning due to my schedule. I go to the gym and weight lift during the day and on cardio days go after work. I'm following Nat's lead with the protein power plan also. I was just doing some weightlifting with a personal trainer before the holidays (my trainer was on vacation during the holidays so I was on my own) and its true...your muscle definition happens so quickly...once you start you don't want to stop...anyway...go for it. I think your results will speak for themselves! BTW...I'm gonna stop the personal trainer for a while and see how I do on my own...cost is prohibitive!!
Good luck to you all and thanks again for all the warm replies and encouragement.
Judi B.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 23:43

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks to everyone for their comments so far! I suspect Wa'il isn't the only one that is going to be inspired.

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
I'm so excited for you Marlaine You're going to love this, specially if you've never done a training program like it before.

What would I tell someone about to start? Start . Do it for yourself, you won't regret what you get out of it. It's tough, it's demanding and it's worth it.

Nat

Nat...I AM excited about doing it and it's true, I've never done anything like it before. Did some weight training once for a while and had wonderful results quite quickly. This time I'd like to go all of the way with it. My goal is to get fat percentage down and to have some visible muscles. I know it's going to take a while but I really want the satisfaction of doing it! And exactly like you said...for myself.

I know that I'm going to need support to keep me at it for the first while. And I'm hoping to find it here in the forum, and with my BFL partner - Ruth. I'm not quite ready to start yet, but I'm getting very close. I want to give myself every advantage to making a go of it!

Thanks again.....
Marlaine
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 00:07

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Marlaine,

I can't afford the BFL book and am still waiting for it at the library (it's very popular!!!).

Can't really fit in exercice six days a week (have a DH, four kids, two dogs and a father-in law), can't afford a lot of weights or a bench BUT, I have some weights, been reading whatever I can get my hands on about beginning weight lifting and have been trying to follow a M-weights/aerobics, T-TH-aerobic, W-F-weights exercise pattern.

Right now each weight session, I do a total body workout but will start to focus on upper & lower body eventually due to the time factor. Right now I am enjoying the differences which are happening already. I already have good definition happening in my shoulders, arms, legs and I am working hard on the abs!

And like Nat says, I feel really good--more powerful, stonger and more confident physically than I have ever been in my life. I am working hard on being able to do pushups. Right now I can do three sets of seven (believe me, this is very good. At one point I could barely do one! And to think as I kid I could "walk" across the monkey bars hanging by my arms!)

Can't wait to get the BFL book from the library to see what else I should be learning/doing. It seems, from what Nat has written that Bill P. explains how and when muscle growth happens, why you only need 20 minutes of aerobic activity 3X a week ,etc. This is the kind of info. I am hungry for.

I am not taking any supplements or vitamins. Can't afford. But I don't let that stop me. My philosphy is "Where there's a will, there's a way." I think anything I can do to try to reach my goal is better than sitting back and not bothering because I don't have all the "things/elements" I need to get started.

Anyway, good luck. Here's to improvement in 2002!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 00:29

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetLoren
NAT, can u tell me more info about the program?? where do I begin? is there a website, or what kinda exercises does the program consist of? my problem is I have all my weight on my mid section I really wanna get rid of it, would this help it??...is there a book or a web site, and how hard is this program??
thanx
~*LORENA*~

Jumping right in Lorena, you can check out the web site here and the book should be available in any book store. I found mine at a grocery store, 50% off, so look around. I haven't started yet, but from my reading I understand this is a HARD program, where you are pushing yourself to a 10 effort on each exercise (on a scale of 1-10). Hope you have fun researching this..... and hoping that you get excited and decide to go for it!

Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tamarian BFL is now on my books-to-get list

Wa'il

Wa'il, I picked up my book last Friday at Superstore on Grandview Hwy for $20- 1/2 price. You don't want to pay too much

I'll start by Feb 4, maybe sooner I may not be able to do a complete LBWO with my weak LB and I sure don't want to strain anything. I don't have the stamina and strength of, say, Marlaine because of the injury, so lots of modifications and careful planning will be required. I suppose that's true of us all .

As preparation, I'll try all the exercises, maybe 1 a day to see how my body reacts, especially LB. I'm pooped & sore today from my 1st WO in 2 weeks, but it did feel oh-so-good after I was showered . The feeling of accomplishment and doing something good for myself that wasn't food and wasn't shopping is very sweet and gratifying.

I hope the Power Blocks come in Wed, I'll be right over there after work to get them. Can't wait to try them out!

Nite all
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 00:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Thanks for the tip, Ruth, sounds like a good deal.

Wa'il
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lorena, begin with the book, you can get it from the library, they carry it up here in Costco for 20$, Ruth posted the website (www.bodyforlife.com) you can check it out from there - the exercise part of program consists of alternating HIIT (high intensity interval training) with weight training 6 days a week. It is very demanding - but it works. As for your 'problem areas' you cannot 'spot reduce' regardless of what anyone tells you - you'll lose weight all over - no one exercise will burn it off in a specific place.

Marlaine, you sound psyched I remember that feeling oh so well. Have you written down goals? Made promises to yourself? It sounds kinda hokey, but it makes you stick to it. Can't wait to follow your progress!

Bobbie, if you're hungry for some BFL information I have just the page for you. http://www.hussman.com/eas He does a thorough job of explaining why HIIT works the way it does (in just 20 minutes), how muscle grows and what you need to do to encourage it.

Ruth, it's important to remember that you must tailor the workout to your level - it's not about how much you can do or what you can lift; it's about what will result in you reaching a "10". John started doing this program 4 weeks ago - his legs were weak (specially his left which has a scar running the length of it and has been operated on 7 times) He had to modify things, no squats, no lunges, no leg extension - too stressful on his already mangled knee. He can do other things though, and he hits his 10s. You can see a difference in him already - and I don't mean just a physical one. Planning is the key. So are a few 'test' workouts before you begin. It helps to know what kind of routine you're going to be doing, what exercise comes next, how long it will take you to switch weights if necessary, etc etc.

Don't forget to take measurements! And one more thing DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELVES after a FREE DAY!!!!!!!!

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 12:18

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

I just started BFL on Sunday. So far, I really like it, but I am not following the food plan -- using modified PP instead. I do know that I feel much more energy, and it's only been 3 days since I started! It's too soon to tell how it will work for me, but I plan to follow it through for the 12 weeks. Nat's postings in her Gym Log have been a real inspiration!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 13:36

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Hey, thanks for the link Nat. Have just wasted/spent about an hour on here checking it out. I say wasted because I was going to do my aerobic & ab workout excercise but instead here I am still sitting.

However, onward and upward, I say!

P.s. I can see what you mean about them being very low-fat. Sorry, but I need my fat!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 14:21

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default BFL day 2!

Well I just started on BFL this week...Day 2 so far...I am already amazed at how I feel...sore yes, but almost too jazzed to sleep...I am tweaking my exercises around due to past injuries as well and Nat's comments are perfect..it is YOUR intensity and not anyone elses that count! I did my first MAS 20 minutes and my first 4 levels were varying walking speeds. I didn't feel short changed at all because it was my best effort and true focus. I do need to write my goals down...I know losing 20 pounds of fat is one of them and gaining at least 8 pounds of muscle is another...there is a pair of black jeans size 16 that I never wore that I want to be very loose when I'm finished with my first cycle! I want to see a specific shape change...not just a smaller pear!

I'm taking Atkins #3, L-glutamine 5 gm, potassium 300 mg, chromium picolinate 200 mg, pyslium as needed, garlic, 2 TBL Flax oil..a womens blend, Atkins dieters advantage.

I did get the home use power blocks set, and stop watch from Santa and I do like them...if the pins slide loose check if the arrow is pointing in the right direction!...the stand is VERY useful and changing wts takes a little practice! Careful not to drop them as they bend easily! A bench is NOT optional...(for me) The floor/chair is not a great choice! I am still looking though for the right one! Both size and options! I do have a gym membership and I hope when I feel more comfortable with the process I will be able to go use their equipment..maybe for the next set of new exercises.

I'm trying the Myoplex LC shake supplements for ease of meals at this point...and whey protein stack for the morning shakes...they have bars too but we all know the "deal" on bars...yea they come in around 20-28C so I'm not reaching for them...yet!

I do have to start my day at 5-5:30 and I admit it is much easier to stay in bed...but I am worth the effort! I have wanted these changes for a long time and they aren't going to happen while I sleep in! Make your choices!...or sleep in... the bed you made!

The BFL web site is great. I printed the log sheets and stored them in excell this am! They have done so much of it for you! Nat, you have been an awesome inspiration and resource that I wouldn't want to do without! Thanks Nat! The more the merrier though and I look forward to lots of good ideas all around! My BFL bud is Grrlpwer and I look forward to her getting back in her own time...Miss you bud! This forum will make it easier too! Thank you Marlaine for this timely thread! Bodacious BFL Bodies on the way!

Beth