Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 10:40

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Eating Disorder support

Is anyone here recovering from an eating disorder?
Has LC helped you manage more than just your weight, like self-image?
How do you keep the focus on health rather than appearance?

In my life, I've gained and lost nearly 100 pounds. I was bulimic from age 13-20. I grew up in a culture where looking a certain way was believed to be the only thing a woman should concern herself with. Then I moved to America, where people were a little more subtle about comments on my appearance but not always. For this reason, I was fat-shamed more often when my BMI was 20-23 than when it was 27-31. I'm currently at a BMI of 24, aiming to be no less than 22-23. I believe it is more important for me to eat regularly, well and manage my T2/PCOS than it is for me to look good, though I admit it is a nice bonus.

Looking forward to knowing about your experiences.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-15, 19:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi MP. I am.

LC helped to correct the underlying depression, anxiety and sugar addiction that lead me to an ED. I ended up anorexic because it was honestly easier to starve than try to "moderate" like the so-called experts tell us to.

On LC, the body image stuff improved somewhat with my moods and clearer thinking, but I think for a lot of people, that can require cognitive/behavioural therapy or something of that ilk.

There was another recent ED thread in this forum in which I posted more. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461947

Best of luck.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-15, 12:29

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Yeah, I've had problems with disordered eating since I was a teenager.

It's still a struggle, but one thing that LC does help with in recovering from eating disorders is that my mood is a lot more stable with I'm not eating sugar, and I don't have to go hungry to lose weight so there's much less risk of falling back into the restrict + binge cycle.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-15, 05:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
Is anyone here recovering from an eating disorder?

I had a binge/starve cycle in my late teens. I got a grip on the emotional parts, but was still tormented by massive hunger after meals that I could not figure out. Low carb took care of that when I started eating real food instead of just carbs.

Quote:
Has LC helped you manage more than just your weight, like self-image?

It's been great. I love losing the excess weight, the sense of energy, and the happy moods. Equally big is the whole not-being-tormented-by-crazed-hunger when I wasn't being tormented by nagging-food-thoughts. The ability to eat a normal sized meal and walk away for HOURS still thrills me.

This works great for self-image, too. I'm not weak-willed; it takes a lot of strength to put up with near starvation for months on end! Especially when I don't get good results back

Quote:
How do you keep the focus on health rather than appearance?

It's a boundary issue. Why should I let other people, who are not living my life and are not responsible for the results of my choices, dictate how I should live and feel? This is a really good time to consider the source. And how informed they are.

If they were right, if we had this in our control, they could nudge and even shame and have a bit of justification for it. But it wasn't. Almost everyone on this forum has a different kind of metabolism, one that reacts very strongly to carbohydrates by turning them to FAT. It's a medical issue no one knew how to treat!

And now I'm treating it. So everyone else can just shut their face.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 07:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New article and ED writer, guest post on Robb Wolf

Recovery from EDs is Possible

http://robbwolf.com/2016/02/11/a-pa...rs-is-possible/
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-18, 06:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Don’t remember how I heard of this little book now, but our library had it. It is about using the Anonymous programs for both alcohol and eating disorders.

Cravings by Judy Collins (yes, the singer) The chapters alternate between her own struggles with overeating and alcohol and the history of LC Diet programs and their gurus through the centuries. Banting, Atkins, WW etc.

She first went through rehab in 1978 and joined AA. Then she joined the Anonymous program in 1982 for her bulimia and binging. OA and Greysheeters, there are more variations for eating disorders now. The Greysheet diet is rarely shared because the 12 step program is the Key part of it, but she does list her current eating program. Three meals a day, no snacks, all food weighed and measured. (considering her travel, entertainment schedule this part is rather amazing) 4oz. Protein at each meal, vegetables and salad, 4 T oil for day, some fruit. NO sugar, wheat, corn, junk, flour, etc. Following this, Food is now quiet for her. No Cravings. If you wonder if a 12 step approach would work for you with food, this little book is interesting introduction.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-23-18 at 06:50.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-18, 20:32

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I asked our library to get her book - it hasn't shown up yet. I've been in OA for about 3 or 4 years now & it's been a great help. For me, OA & LC go hand in hand. I went in a binger & now I don't binge. I'm so grateful.

My start weight that I have listed here isn't my highest - I binged myself up to over 230 pounds. My weight isn't down where I want it yet, but I'm so much healthier.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-18, 21:27

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

This is a great thread, with many wonderful links. Thanks for bringing it up to the top of the charts again.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 19:48

BF:

Cravings finally came in & I got it yesterday. Time to go read some more of it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 09:55

BF:

Finished Cravings - meh. I think you have to be a fan to enjoy it. She focused more on the drinking than the food - but does say they are related. But one good thing about the book for people new to food addictions is that she brings home how common it is.

The message of "you're not alone" is VERY important. That surprised me when I started OA. I had, of course, heard of anorexia as an eating disorder, but not binging. Cherry Boone's book was - if memory serves - better at explaining eating disorders. But I still thought binging was a problem with self-control & that eating disorders involved starving & throwing up.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 12:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/143/155 Female 5'10''
BF:38%/21.4%/24.9%
Progress: 117%

Yes. It stopped horrible binging behavior and starvation periods.