Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-14, 21:16

Plan: Long term induction
Stats: 409/370/175 Male 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default First Attempt at LC.

So I guess this is my introduction thread. Where to start? I've always been the 'chubby' kid. Then it became 'chunky', then 'husky', then 'heavy', until one day I'm 34 years old, 5'6 and topping 400 lbs. My health is terrible all the time, and probably worse than I know tbh since I'm really afraid to go to a doctor. I have family history of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease, and had basically convinced myself I would be dead by 50 anyhow so why bother taking care of myself?
I've tried all kinds of diets, all with no results. Being Italian, pasta and Apizza were staples of my diet. I would say, conservatively, that I had some type of pasta either as the main dish or a side at least 5 days a week. The bag of Doritos and 2 2-liters of Pepsi every day didn't help either I'm sure,but as I said, i had given up on being healthy.
My wake up call came at the end of September. I sat down in my recliner, and kept going until I was sprawled out on a pile of springs, ripped fabric and splintered wood. That was it. I was done. It took everything out of me. I was tired of being out of breath just from standing up. I was tired of having to take a shower every time I used the bathroom because I couldn't perform basic hygiene tasks. I was tired of having to sleep sitting up because I couldn't breathe when I laid down. I was tired of not being able to drive a car because I couldn't fit behind the steering wheel. I was just tired of life as an obese person.
The next morning I was on the bus and overheard someone talking about low carb dieting. One specific thing he said literally hit me like a ton of bricks. It was what I keep calling my "WOW Moment". He said, simply, "Even a child knows you put fuel in a machine and crap in a toilet. Every meal you choose which one you want your body to be." That moment I knew I could make a change, and I was going to do it.
I started doing some research online. I found two things that gave me hope. One was low carb eating. The other was DDPYoga. I've been on both since October 1st. So far, I've lost 33 lbs, but more importantly I FEEL better than I have in years. I've been inspired by a lot of your stories on this board, and I plan on being here for the long haul. I just keep reminding myself, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. And any lifestyle beats the one I had before.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 08:30

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Welcome Rayman203! Sounds like you are super ready. I like your aha moment. good luck on your journey!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 08:40

Plan: Low carb.
Stats: 190/183/146 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 16%

What a wonderful start, congratulations and wishing you continuing success.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 08:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Congrats and welcome aboard!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 09:24

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Congrats on your progress and having a positive mindset. Welcome and best wishes on your WOE.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 10:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Congrats on taking the first step to change your life. I too love the wow moment. It was kind of like that for me this time. I knew I needed a change but it wasn't on my to-do list. I wasn't looking for the answer. I had experienced LC in 2004 with success but 75 lbs later, there I was. I saw an article on FBook about LC and it was like a switch flipped. I went all in on Sept 8 and I'm happier than I have been in 10 years! Best of luck...you will find more support than you will ever imagine here!! Jump in and get involved!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-14, 19:25

BF:

Tough night tonight. Roommate went to Olive Garden with work friends and brought home leftover pasta. AAAARRRGGHHH! Crazy temptation but just going to keep reading threads on here to keep me motivated!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-14, 19:59

BF:

My Little Scrap loves the soup and salad from Olive Garden and that was our 'go to' meal when it was just the two of us. I have made it 7 weeks without going but I know it wont last forever. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I have to go. I'm hoping I'll find something to get me by. I narrowly escaped a trip to Carrabbas this weekend. I know that a pasta restaurant is the last place me and my iron-clad willpower need to be. Can you say Kriptonite??
I'm perfectly find lurking around...maybe stalking a bit...and staying focused on my path. I hope you find the same reinforcement. Maybe it's a good night to start a journal! It really does help! Hang in there.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 03:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326.4/321.4/200 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 4%

Your story is not unlike a lot of us here, and every challenge won began with one step! You are doing very well….I had lost over 100lbs then had a life changing event with the death of my fiancé, for a while I gave up. (4 yrs) insert idiot

I met a wonderful man, married him and I am back on the wagon (week 3) because I know this works! I need ME back….and my husband deserves the REAL me not this I can't do anything because I am OBESE Me……..there it is, you are not alone. Start a journal and make some friends, we love to help and encourage!!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 04:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieS
Start a journal and make some friends, we love to help and encourage!!!!!

Actually, we kinda like to stalk, but we hug rather than bite! LOL It's much easier to stalk you if you have a journal!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 06:55
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello, Ray & welcome to the best LC WOE site on the planet!

Many wonderful, experienced and LC WOE successful people on this site who are more than willing to help and support us as we journey thru LC WOE. If you have any questions, just ask, someone will have an answer!

Wishing you much success on your personal LC WOE journey!

Onward and DOWNWARD!

Jo
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 10:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapgirl
Actually, we kinda like to stalk, but we hug rather than bite! LOL It's much easier to stalk you if you have a journal!

Thanks for the encouragement! Made it through the night without caving in to the cravings, going to start a journal today!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 14:46

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Welcome! Lots of here on multiple attempts to lose a ton of weight (no pun intended), you are among friends.

I noticed something you mentioned, was sitting up to sleep. Is it possible you have sleep apnea? Getting THAT alone treated with CPAP can help tremendously in weight loss, and esp food cravings. Sleep (esp if you're not getting it) truly affects your body that much.

Wasn't sure if you were aware, but if not, really worth checking into. Best of luck and KEEP GOING!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 15:09

BF:

I'm relatively certain I have sleep apnea, but currently I don't have insurance so haven't been diagnosed. In the last week I've noticed I'm sleeping a lot better, so hopefully my apnea is weight related and im on my way to putting it in the rear-view mirror!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 15:26

Plan: Less than 30g carbs
Stats: 349/286.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Welcome Rayman, you've made a fantastic start and it really sounds like you're in it for the long haul (me too!).

This really is a very encouraging bunch of low carbers, they're so knowledgeable and helpful.

Keep on keeping on!