Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 11:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132.5/125/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Coconut flour

Does anyone cook with coconut flour? I have been reading so many good healthy things about it. I love coconut. I cant find it at my local health food store (actually most of the health food stores say they havent heard of it and I just could not believe that) so I have to take a little drive to get it. I always use virgin coconut oil in alot of things.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 12:26
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Sure. Coconut flour can be used in a ton of baking stuff and is pretty similar to ordinary cakes in result. I got mine at tropicaltraditions.com (tons of coconut stuff, organic), but I think bobsredmill.com and netrition.com probably also sell it. I got a book 'cooking with coconut flour' that is useful. I made coconut crepes for my kid Sunday, came out fine. Going to try a flax/almond pancake with modifying the recipe now. I prefer to mostly eat MEAT, EGGS, some veggies and berries, and everything else a trivia, but it's nice to have coconut, almond and flax for occasional treats!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132.5/125/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 60%

I was thinking about getting that cook book as well as Coconut lovers cook book. So u think the cook book is useful and u use it also?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 13:10

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use it all the time for baking. You just need to remember that coconut flour is really thirsty stuff and soaks up liquid like crazy. I like to use it to make a version of the mock danish, "mock cupcakes" - basically I add 1-2T coconut flour and extra liquid (cream, water) and divide it into 2 ramekins. Nuke for 2 minutes - it dries out more and is more cake-like. Also makes it less "eggy" for those who are turned off by that. I have a recipe for a single serving lemon cake w/CF in the sweet treats section too - really good!

Oh, it's also good for breading chicken.