Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:01

Plan: Atkins/ Modified BFL
Stats: 212/174/23
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default :wave: Hello... Just joined today!!!

Hey guys....wow what a great site. It's so nice to see so many people helping each other to obtain their goals!!!

I live outside of Montreal and have been Somersizing for 6 weeks and have lost 11lbs-13 lbs (the scale can't make up it's mind LOL). I have had a difficult week or two now, in that I'm seemingly stuck loosing and gaining these same 2 lbs. Frustrating!

Part of the problem as well is that I'm an info-aholic...I read and read and read, until I almost don't know how to do this low carb thing anymore. I've Somersized mostly, however I read Dr. Schwarzbein's wonderful book and tried that for a few days this week, ...then of course added the occasional tip from Michel Montignac diet...and well the rest is obvious...those same dreaded 2 lbs. I am interested in talking with others who have successfully tried any or all of these programs and have found them to be effective.

As I read many of these posts, it appears that there are many of you who follow Atkins, and have had wonderfully quick results!!!!...so now of course, I wonder! LOL

Do any of you feel one program is faster than the others? I would love any comments, support on breaking plateaus, etc. Thanks so much for this site. Hope to make a lot of new friends here. Any Montrealers????

Muse
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hello there Muse!

I have a feeling there's a lot of Montrealers around since this site is based in Canada.

Anyways, I'm thrilled that you found us here! I agree, this is a great place for information, advice and support. A lot of really friendly and knowledgable people willing to help out with just about any problem or concern you can come up with.

I follow Atkins, and I'm not experienced with any of the other low-carb plans, as this has been the first time I've ever tried low-carbing at all. I like Atkins however as it seems to be more restrictive with the carbs, which works for me. Also there aren't a lot of complex calculations you have to make about percentages of this or percentages of that....and what foods to eat with other foods...and don't eat this if you've eaten that within 2 hours. Those kinds of plans are too complicated for me to turn into a WOL. It works for other people however. So not every plan is for everyone, and with all of them out there, it's difficult NOT to find one that fits.

I don't know what kind of advice to offer you regarding which plan to follow. All I can say is to read everything you can about any that you're interested in and take a while to analyze them individually, thinking which you can turn into a way of life. Which one will you be able to follow forever and be happy about it. For me, this was Atkins.

Anyways...congrats on the pounds lost so far! Sounds like you're doing great. Don't worry too much about stalling and bouncing around with those 2 or 3 pounds after the first few weeks. This seems to happen to just about everyone regardless of what plan they're following. It just takes the body some time to figure out its new metabolism and time to adjust its configuration. It's pretty much rearranging things.

Hope to hear from you soon!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bon soir, Muse

Welcome to the forum. For an information junkie this is a great place Don't let all that you read overload your senses though. Yes, you do initally lose faster on some programs than others. Atkins and Protein Power being two of the faster ones. Many people start out with one program and then switch to another as they approach their goal / maintenance. Somerizing is often one such later choice, as it is less strict in the carb department. It's all a mater of personal preference, of course.

I am following the Protein Power Plan and try to keep my carbs to 30g a day. I'm losing quite fast, and I find the menu quite varied. I'll keep following this plan once I reach my goal, however i'll up my carbs until I no longer lose weight.

While there are many members here who follow Atkins and PP, we have some following CAd (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet), Schwarzbein, Suzanne Somers etc. All the Plans are discussed under the section of the forum called "Low Carb Plans" if you're interested.

Congrats on your loss, and I hope to hear more from you
Nat

P.s. Where bouts are you exactly? I was born and raised on the South Shore.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 17:52

Plan: Atkins/ Modified BFL
Stats: 212/174/23
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Thanks Raven and Natrushka!!!

Thanks!!! You guys have motivated me to recommit. I bought both Atkins and Protein Power today, and have decided to try Atkins. Today was my first day of Induction and am hopeful I did it correctly. I posted my first day in the Bootcamp Journal. Would love any thoughts you both might have on it!

Natrushka, I am not far from the Ontario border, west of the West Island! My gosh I love Ottawa, I'm envious of you! I'm about 1 hour and 15 min from you!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 19:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Muse, you must be near Alexandria? I've travelled the 417 numerous times to do some shopping on the island I envy you that proximity!!

Ottawa is dark and dreary today, but I agree, it's a beautiful city when the sun is shining. I'm very pleased to have settled here. It's close to Toronto, where I also lived, and close to Montreal and the South Shore. It's like the best of both worlds.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 17:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome aboard muse! congratulations on your weightloss! reading the books is a great idea! knowledge is power! i'm sure that you have a lot to give to us!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 23:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/210/130
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default info junkie too

Hi Muse,

As you can see from my user id, I'm a professional info junkie. I've read so many diet books - if reading them alone would work I would be sooo skinny.

This is my first day on the site and I think it will be really helpful to me. I started low carb dieting on January 2, 2002 - but I'm not sure what plan I'm on. I'm just trying to limit my carbs as much as possible and eat protein when I get hungry. I read labels alot...

I have lost weight before (and gained it back, of course) but as I get older it gets harder. I'm 54, have a very sedentary job, plus all my fun things involve sitting in front of a computer....

My husband is on this with me, which helps. But he's lost 12 pounds and I've lost 5.

Do we have to be on a specific plan?

Librarian
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 16:20

Plan: south beach/zone
Stats: 152/125/120 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress:

Congratulations on the weight loss so far, its a journey so be patient and watch the fat melt off !!!

Keep up drinking the water and you will notice a change in your energy level too - this is a huge bonus