Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 21:03

Plan: mine
Stats: -/-/- Male 178
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The Zone Diet doesn't make any sense?

I wonder if there's anyone who understood this diet here.

Briefly: the Zone has been created by Barry Sears in order to control insulin. According to Sears the magical ratio of 40/30/30 carbs, proteins and fat allow the body to utilize insulin better than with any other ratio.

The key, according to Sears, is the ratio between carbs and proteins, which should be maintained at 0.75 at every meal and snack, and the right amount of fat.

But another key is the right amount of protein neither too much nor too little. So first you calculate how many proteins your need and from that you determine the amount of carbs and fats to be in the "zone ratio"

This usually results in maximum 1500 calories a day. Of course people lose weight.

The problem is that a lot of people, including doctors, believe the preposterous magical ratio is the key to being as healthy as possible so in order to maintain the ratio even if they need a lot more calories, they screw the ratio. How logical is that?

People at the Crossfit community suggest everyone to follow a Zone Diet for better healthy, remember it's the key it's the ratio, but they need more calories to they have changed the ratio and eat more proteins and more fat so they can have their 2500 calories.

But what the Zone has got to do with it? How can anyone call that a Zone Diet when the most important aspect of the Zone, (the ratio between protein, carbs and fats) is being randomly changed to fit one's calories?

And why people who believe the Zone Ratio is the key to health are changing the ratio in order to maintain the ratio?! Confused? Everything is confusing about this orthorexic-mathematical diet imo.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-10, 14:59

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I always thought the Zone was kinda crazy making. I brought it back to the library after a quick perusal.