Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: 147/147/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Calories and Protein Grams

Hello All LCers!

I've read in so many places on this board that you should be eating 10-12x your body weight in calories (minimum). I finally got around to figuring up my calories for the day and it ranges between 2000-2200!

I realize you're not supposed to worry too much about calories on this WOL, but is this OK??? If you look at my stats you'll see I'm eating about 500-700 cals more than the 10-12x. That's quite a lot!

Also, according to my calculations, I'm taking in about 105-115 grams of protein a day (I'm a vegetarian so that means it comes from things like eggs, tofu, cheese, and some peanut butter). I think the range for women is 60-70, so is what I'm eating pushing it?

These things do worry me. I think I've been stalled for a while now (probably about 8 weeks), which I blamed on PMS (I skipped a cycle, probably due to stress), but I've just passed through it and I'm still bloated.

On the plus side, I went over a list of health issues that had been plaguing before I began LCing (nothing major, things like fatigue, headaches, bad skin, etc.) and they have *all* improved! So I'm still very positive about LCing. I'm just a little worried about the calories/protein grams issue.

Thanks!
Tal

P.S. I've been watching my carbs, though according to Dr. Schwarzbein, you're supposed to be careful only of those carbs that will make your insulin shoot up, like fruit, nuts, cottage cheese & yogurt, starchy veggies, that sort of thing. Her healing plan calls for 45-60 g of carbs (not including things like vegetables, cream, eggs, etc.). I've actually been trying to cut those to about 30, though it doesn't include the carbs in my vegetables, cream, eggs, etc. If you count the carbs in everything I eat, I'm having between 77 to 88. Keep in mind, though, that Schwarzbein works differently from Atkins. I don't feel I'm eating too many carbs.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default I just had my visit with my doctor and he said......

That I could go as high as 200g with my protein. He thought I should bring the ratio of fat down a little and up the protein.

My ration usually runs about 73/7/20

I don't know your plan, but I think your carbs are too high. Why don't you count all the carbs and try to keep them between 45-60? That may be your answer.

Carol