Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 21:20

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%
Question Help I'm Drowning!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK here I am again and I have to continue doing low carb, but I have to get back to doing it vegetarian. I gave it up for awhile because it was difficult to fill up. I low carbed but started eating meats and dairy. Well the doctor took me off my HRT medication and said to deal with the symptoms. So I have started finding alternative ways to deal with the hot flashes and night sweats. Also I have to stay strictly away from anything animal. It not only lightens the hot flashes, but it lessens my arthritis symptoms that have come back due to the animal laden diet I was on. So I have perused most of the vegetarian sites and have come up with a list of Protein sources. Tofu, Tempeh, TVP, nuts and seeds, peanut butter and other nut butters, Black Soybeans, The Green Soybeans in the frozen foods isle. I need to stay away from Meat, Dairy, and eggs, and wheat. This is daunting to say the least. Of course there is a whole host of low carb veggies and fruit, and I am using coconut cream as a heavy cream substitute. I have to know if I am on the right track. I use quite a bit of nut flour and coconut flour in baked goods. I either use tofu or flax to hold it together instead of eggs. Is there any good books on the subject? I am just winging it now. Any help is truly appreciated. Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 21:40

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

why did your doctor take you off the HRT medication? What kind of hormones were you using?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 00:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Hi, Judy.
First, if you want to be meatless and low carb, that's very doable--but if you're going to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs AND wheat, then you are really really limiting your protein sources and it will be very tough to get as much protein as you need (at least half a gram of protein per lb. of current body weight). You need the protein to do the kind of body maintenance/rebuilding that your body is doing when you're in menopause, and when you have arthritis issues (real world experience here...I'm 52, about to be thrown into full menopause, and I've got serious arthritis on both sides of my family!)

If you're not morally/ethically opposed to eating fish, can you at least incorporate some fish into your diet to give you some variety in your protein sources? Fatty fish will also have some of the essential oils that can help with the arthritis issues.

There really aren't any good, truly low carb books out there that are vegan gluten-free low carb (which is what you're trying to do.) Rose Eliot did a pretty good Atkins-style vegetarian low carb book, but I believe it's ovo-lacto, and also makes use of seitan and vital wheat gluten.

Barry Sears' 'The Soy Zone', and the old standby vegan cookbook 'The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook' might also be helpful.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 15:45

Hi Gaelen, thank you for your response. The reason I eliminate alot of animal products, is because when I eat them it seems to produce alot of hot flashes and night sweats. It also seems to perpetuate the flare up of pain in my hip joints. If I stick with soy protein and nuts and that sort of thing I'm not as likely to sweat or hurt. The reason the doc gave for taking me off the medication is that it was dangerous for me to stay on it. I don't have cancer, and am fine but that didn't matter to her she was not taking any chances. The reason for staying away from wheat is that I am highly allergic to it. I have the original Farm cookbook so maybe I will look into that. This isn't ideal to say the least, but I don't seem to react to whey protein, so I guess I can use that for a shake. Again thankyou for trying to help. Judy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 20:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run
The reason I eliminate alot of animal products, is because when I eat them it seems to produce alot of hot flashes and night sweats. It also seems to perpetuate the flare up of pain in my hip joints.

I get that...but frequently, people who have those issues when eating things like beef, pork, and chicken do not experience the same issues when they include some fatty fish (salmon, sardines, mackarel) or even less fatty white fishes (cod, perch, haddock.) So you might try that.

I completely understand why your doc took you off HRT.
I have been through chemo-induced menopause three times, (after chemo, sometimes your body says 'oh, I'm not really in menopause'...my body has persisted in arguing the point every time I come off treatment!) I'm looking at a full hysterectomy next week, so I expect that I'll have some menopausal symptoms before my body finally gives up arguing with me. So I know the side effects well...but while the side effects of menopause are tough to cope with as they are happening, they ARE temporary, and they are a normal part of our life process. Trying to make them more bearable is one thing; trying to make them totally go away is probably unrealistic.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 10:17

Well I'll try fish and see what happens, yesterday I tried whey protein in a shake and did not react negatively so I guess that is another thing I can have. This thing is trial and error
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 14:15

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Hi Born2run!

When I read your post, it made me think of arachidonic acid...it's found in saturated fat from beef (animals) that are grain fed. I know from research in the past that I did, that grass-fed free-range beef has a lot less of it.

Here is a link that you might find interesting. You may be able to eat some meat and fish after all, if you choose the right kinds! LINK

Best wishes!
Barb