Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%
Default Awesome egg drop soup!

For a good egg drop recipe, try this-

4 oz. chicken soup base in 1 1/4 gallon water
or 1 1/4 gallon of finished chicken stock (see below)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. chopped onion
3 tsp. soy sauce
3 eggs

Prepare chicken broth/stock and heat to just below a boil.
Beat eggs, season lightly with black pepper and one spritz of soy sauce (literally about 1/16 - 1/8 teaspoon; set aside.
Add remaining ingredients to broth.
Drop egg mixture into soup one spoonful at a time. Allow egg to slowly drizzle off spoon as you stir.
Cover, cook for 5 minutes.
Serve with sprinkled parsley flakes.

Oddly enough, I have never gotten my home made soup to taste the same as the restaurant version unless I used canned chicken broth. Must be the can taste, or the sodium. If you use the chicken soup base, it will come out the same as the canned, pretty much.

You can also add chicken, mushrooms, diced green onion or shredded bamboo shoots to this recipie. Sometimes when I make the chicken stock, I use leg quarters or leftover roast chicken, or a chicken carcass. I generally use no spices other than garlic and some turmeric (to color the stock). With left over chicken, no added spices are needed. Remove chicken from pot, and pull meat from bones. Add meat back to pot. The proceed with adding eggs and seasoning.

I like the home made stock much better! If you set out to make your own stock, start out with the goal to reduce your liquid down to the desired amount of liquid. I have a big stainless stock pot that holds a little over 12 quarts. I put the chicken in, a lot of it, and then totally cover with water. The trick is to reduce, reduce, reduce to intensify the flavors! Once the chicken is removed for separating from the bones, the goal is to reduce down to the 1 and 1/4 gallon mark. You know you have good stock when it jells up in the fridge overnight!

Last edited by ProfGumby : Thu, Mar-02-06 at 22:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 07:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Other things you can add are scallions, cubed tofu, and I've even seen seaweed close to what you find with sushi. Many times we do egg drop as a clean out the fridge.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-06, 07:27
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

I love egg drop soup. Usually I simmer chicken broth with green onions and soy sauce. I strain out the onions since they cause my BS to spike and then add my beat eggs. Mmmmmmmm Simple and warm and great when you want to slowly savor something good....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 21:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This egg drop soup is probably one of my favorite foods lately. I have had a sore throat and not really wanting to eat, but this just does it. I always just add dried chives, chicken broth low sodium, beaten egg, tabasco, and some black pepper. Usually I make a big pan of it and then keep it just incase I feel the need to eat it.