Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 10:03

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

You are so lucky to have a wife who supports you. My DH isn't very supportive. Mainly because of his parents who still believe in low fat diet & less calories. They think low carb is going to kill me. But for some reason junk food is ok. I can't get sick because if I do it's Atkins fault even if everyone eles is sick that's around me. I'd just want to ring their necks sometime.

Congrats on winning the biggest Loser contest. I hate how weight lose slows down the closer you get to your goal. You think with all the extra muscle that it would increase your metabolism which is what I always heard but guess it just allows you to eat more and stay firm.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 14:12

Plan: Atkins/ Celiac
Stats: 245/245/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Congratuations on your fabulous achievement!

I just wanted to congratulate you on your progress, it is a truly inspiring thread to read and a great motivator!!

As long as you keep writing, I'll keep checking in!

Regards,

Sara
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 11:08

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%
Default Update

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd update this thread with what's been going on. I haven't fallen off the wagon or anything.

I hovered for the longest time in the 230's (mostly around 235) and just couldn't seem to budge the scale. I was working out hard at the gym and eating well but just didn't seem to be making any progress. A friend gave me a copy of Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." It made a lot of sense. I changed my diet adding some carbs and started eating 5 to 6 meals a day. The carbs I added were in the form of oatmeal for breakfast, brown rice occasionally at lunch, and apples, mixed berries, and oranges as snacks during the day.

I also lowered my calories to about 2,000 per day......maybe even 1,800. Once I made these changes the weight and inches started coming off again.

I'm at 225 now and close to buying 34 waist pants!

I'm also seeing a trainer two days a week along with 3 days of weights. I'm doing a lot of mobility/core, balance movements with the trainer trying to reverse the years of desk surfing in an office and couch surfing at home. We're doing a lot of drills with swiss and bosu balls.

Working with my trainer has made a huge difference but I think eating every few hours about 300 calories probably has been the most beneficial. My meals always include protein and some veggies. If I do eat complex carbs like brown rice it's part of a balanced meal that includes protein and vegetables. If I eat a snack like an apple, I also include peanut butter. I've gotten very anal with my diet, keeping a journal and counting all my calories. When I was 300lbs I didn't worry about calories or portions. I ate whatever I wanted as long as it was low carb. Now that I'm 225, that doesn't work anymore.

I have varied some from the "low-carb way" but just a little. I'm still a believer!!! But I am finding room in my diet for a few more of the right kind of carbs. I'm still scared of starchy and sugary carbs but don't be afraid of all carbs. I think it also has a lot to do with your activity level. I'm now pretty active 5 days a week or so, so my body can handle and probably needs a few more carbs.

I'm working on some goals for the new year that include more than just weight loss.....working on muscle definition and looking good without a shirt on.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 11:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Cleave, you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. Even Atkins said people who exercise alot need ALOT more carbs. In fact, I think one of the reasons he got crazy about whole grains in his later books wasn't just hype, but just practicalities. In 1972 when he wrote his first book, people thought long distance running was crazy. Now alot of people do high-intensity exercise into adulthood and some of us just need the carbs to keep up.

Janine
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 18:55
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 256/186/160 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleave
I'm working on some goals for the new year that include more than just weight loss.....working on muscle definition and looking good without a shirt on.

Ummm Cleave, I think you should post some pics shirtless and we can be the judges...Uhh huh!! (kidding, don't want to get your wife mad)
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0u
Ummm Cleave, I think you should post some pics shirtless and we can be the judges...Uhh huh!! (kidding, don't want to get your wife mad)

Thanks for the encouragement y0u! If I get brave enough I'll post some. I'm not quite ready but almost.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-08, 11:10

Default 17.6 % 34 Waist!!!

Like I said, I'm not quite ready for the shirtless shot but I just finished a 6 week challenge with my trainer and as of last Friday I'm down to 17.6% body fat. Woo Hoo!!!! Anyway, been working hard and the results are just beginning to show. But as per my trainer, going from 17% to 10% BF may be harder than what I've done so far.

But here's a current progress picture (I know, it's a crappy cell phone shot) in my new 34 waist jeans!

#38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 10:08

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Congratulations! The difference in your face is amazing. Way to go! You're an inspiration.

Meg