Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-06, 18:09
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Avocado Soup With Shrimp and Salsa

Recipe from http://content1.williams-sonoma.com...91B43D5753C5BEF

Quote:
Avocado Soup with Shrimp and Salsa
Usually served chilled, this Latin American soup is also delicious at room temperature. The zesty tomato salsa provides a lively contrast to the rich and creamy flavor of the avocado. Fresh cooked crabmeat can be substituted for the shrimp, if you like.

3 large avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and
diced
3 cups chicken stock, or as needed
1 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 Tbs. lemon juice, or to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

For the tomato salsa:
1 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
1/3 cup finely minced red onion
2 or 3 jalapeņo chilies, finely minced, with
or without seeds, to taste
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
3 Tbs. lemon or lime juice, or to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
12 to 16 cooked shrimp, peeled and diced

Working in 2 or 3 batches, combine the avocados, stock and cream in a blender. Puree until smooth. Adjust the amount of cream used as needed to arrive at a good soup consistency. Transfer to a bowl. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until cold but not overly chilled, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, make the tomato salsa: In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, chilies, garlic, lemon juice, cilantro, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir well, taste and adjust the seasonings.

To serve, remove the soup from the refrigerator, taste and adjust the seasonings. Ladle the soup into chilled individual bowls. Top each serving with some of the diced shrimp and a generous dollop of the salsa. Serves 6 to 8.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Lifestyles Series,Soup for Supper,by Joyce Goldstein (Time-Life Books, 1998).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-06, 01:32

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

wow this sounds delicious! I'd probably use premade salsa tho.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

I just made this. It's pretty good but I think the flavor is a little bland though, basically just taste like a plain avocado, lol.

I added a little garlic and onion powder, along with a healthy dose of salt and pepper, some paprika and a little extra lemon juice. I might ad a splash or two of jalapeno hot sauce (the green stuff) to my bowl when I am ready to serve it.

I pondered the idea of adding some tequila to the mix but it didnt taste too good. Luckily I decided to take a spoonful out and ad a drop of tequila to it in a smaller bowl before I decided to mix it in with the whole batch, lol.