Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Need advice from women with PCOS who have lost a lot of weight

Hi
Has anyone lost a lot of weight and have they seen their periods become irregular or completely stop?

When I first started Atkins, immediately all my PCOS symptoms got way better. WIthin a month I had a period for the first time and subsequently several months after. HOwever, as I lost more and more weight it became less frequent and now it has completely stopped. All of my other PCOS symptoms have not really gotten worse at all, just the period thing. As of right now I have not had one in several months.

Has anyone else had this happen (become more regular from strict LC, but then suddenly stop?). See I don't know if this is related to the PCOS, or if it is just a side effect of weight loss that will get better once my weight stabilizes. I do eat significantly more carbs than I did before, but the abnormalities and eventual cessation of monthly cycles started to occur long before I actually began maintaining (and eating more carbs). Furthermore, it started to get "worse" when I still was much heavier than I am now (I estimate this started to happen when I was like 150ish lbs).

Basically I'm trying to figure out if this problem is a PCOS thing, a low weight thing, a rapid weight loss thing (i.e. stress), or all.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 17:35

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default i'm glad you posted this because...

i have had the same problem - please help us out!! also, i've gained about 15 pounds in the last three weeks (YIKES!!) with no change to diet or exercise. i'm starting to worry. no period +weight gain = return of PCOS? but i'm doing everything right - why can i not have my period anymore?? it worked like clockwork in the middle of my lc diet!! i wanted to be maintaining by now...not gaining! and especially not gaining and being infertile thanks in advance.

Last edited by dasanipure : Fri, Oct-29-04 at 17:36. Reason: no title
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

The first 3 months on LC I got my period close to being on time every month, not like before 2 to 4 weeks late. But now, this month it is 3 weeks late again and I stopped loosing weight about a week before it was due. So about 4 weeks of not loosing anything. I still have cramps a little bit almost everyday but nothing else happens. I was so excited when i first started LC because I started close to being on time. I am 47 years old, so in my case it might be the starting of menopause. I also am wondering about this.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 20:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/195/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Size-20/12/dunno!
Progress: 54%

Its the woo
Have you tried taking the pill?
I have lost 46 lbs and my PCOs symptoms have gotten better.
But I have been on OrthoTricyclen since I was diagnosed.
I had a cyst growing and the last sonogram showed it reduced for the first time in 2 years. So, I guess things are getting better. The pill will actually regulate your periods. It helps give you a more predictable period. Not having periods will eventually cause cysts and that is not a good thing. So, I recomend you go see your doctor and ask if they can get you on the pill to regulate your period. If you are on the pill, still go see your doctor. You need to make sure everything is ok.
Good luck to you!