Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

More Anti-American Images Found at German Subway Stores

By Susan Jones, CNSNews.com Morning Editor

August 04, 2004

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture....L20040804c.html

(CNSNews.com) - Picture this: a gigantic cheeseburger (with tomatoes and lettuce) slamming into two high-rise buildings, as cartoon characters run from the flaming ruins.

It's clearly a takeoff on the 9/11 terror attacks on the World Trade Center, and according to the Virginia-based Center for Individual Freedom, the illustration appears on page 18 of a 30-page "food diary" distributed by Subway sandwich shops in Germany.

Last week, the Center for Individual Freedom launched a grassroots campaign against anti-American tray-liners at German subway stores.

The tray-liners -- a promotion for the film "Super Size Me" -- showed an obese Statue of Liberty holding a burger and fries in her hands, under a headline asking, "Why are Americans so fat?" According to the Center for Individual Freedom, the headline used the word "Amis," which is considered a derogatory term for Americans.

The Center says complaints from Americans prompted German Subway shops to pull the tray-liners. But the cheeseburger-crashing-into-buildings image apparently is still out there -- distributed in German subway stores over the past few days. (The food diary also promotes the film "Super Size Me," and German Subway shops are distributing the diary.)

The new image shows that Subway's advertising is "far more disturbing and anti-American than previously thought," the Center for Individual Freedom said in a press release.

The cheeseburger image is found in a Subway "food diary" that encourages Germans to track their food consumption for 30 days. The diary is "replete with anti-American images," the Center said.

"Based on this new material, distributed for days in Subway's German stores, the Center for Individual Freedom demands that Subway apologize to American consumers immediately. If it fails to make amends for this transgression, its risks once again feeling the wrath of angry consumers across our nation," the Center for Individual Freedom said.

The Center said it intends to continue drawing attention to Subway's "tasteless anti-American marketing scheme in the coming days."
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 11:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow... they seem to be a little out of control.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (since 7/03
Stats: 255/213/130 Female 62 inches
BF:47%/39%/24%
Progress: 34%

This really disturbs me, so I went to Subway's site and sent them an email asking if this was all true. I will share with you the results of my inquiry if any.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 12:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

I see 5 buildings in that image and it looks like a Godzilla spoof to me. It makes a whole lot more sense than associating it with 9/11. Godzilla=large=fat which, coroborated with the other ad (which was rude, yes), seems to be the message: don't eat burgers, you'll get big, eat our stuff.

My 2c
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 12:32

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Oh gimme a break. Just how far are journalists willing to sink to milk the 9/11 story?. This article belongs in a tabloid. There is obviously no connectionwith 9/11. It's a burger smashing into a group of buildings, not 2 twin towers. The message I see here is fast food is destroying America.

Last edited by Angeline : Thu, Aug-05-04 at 12:42.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 13:29

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Oh gimme a break. Just how far are journalists willing to sink to milk the 9/11 story?. This article belongs in a tabloid. There is obviously no connectionwith 9/11. It's a burger smashing into a group of buildings, not 2 twin towers. The message I see here is fast food is destroying America.

CNSnews is a conservative (to say the least) "news" outlet which fully buys into and supports the anti-European rhetoric of the right-wing punditry. Consider the source whenever you see an editorializing story such as this.

Plane Crazy
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 13:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I don't see the twin towers either. I guess if you're out to find something, you'll see it if you look hard enough and squint a little?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 18:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

>>Corporate Integrity Project.

Why does that sound like an oxymoron to me?