Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 06:43

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default LC and need for supplements

Hi everyone,

I've read a few posts on the need to supplement magnesium, potassium and sodium. How much is suggested? Is mag oxide the recommended kind? What is CALM mag? How much potassium?

Lots of questions from a newbie!! LCHF is definiately working. First time under 200 pounds today in more than 9 months!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-16, 03:34

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Personally I dislike the idea of taking any supplements from the standpoint that if a low carb diet is such a 'natural' way of eating, why should it be necessary.
However, it is normal for low carb diets to increase the loss of sodium and water by the kidneys and failure to adequately replace sodium adversely affects potassium balance. The solution is to increase daily salt intake.

This is explained in the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate performance", by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney - see chapter 9 on Fluid and Mineral Management

Supplements aren't necessary to increase salt (i.e. sodium chloride) intake. You can just add more salt to your food by being a bit more generous with the salt shaker.

A sign to watch for is dizziness when standing up after lying down. This is called orthostatic hypotension and is caused by low blood pressure. I experienced this myself in the first few weeks of eating low carb but it quickly disappeared after I increased salt intake.

Another sign, which can be related to inadequate magnesium intake is muscle cramps - especially in the calf muscles. I also experienced this myself early on but rather than take supplements I increased the amount of magnesium rich foods that I was eating- for example spinach, nuts and dark chocolate (100% cacao - zero sugar).

Another very important consideration highlighted by Volek and Phinney is the aspect of appropriate food preparation. Dietary magnesium and potassium can be ‘lost’ if foods are not prepared properly. For example boiling vegetables in water causes much of the potassium to be discarded with the water. Grilling meat and discarding the drippings causes a similar loss of nutrients. The solution therefore is to avoid discarding nutrients by for example:
- steaming or sauteeing vegetables
- not discarding drippings or any other juices from cooking meat. Collect them and use them for sauces and gravy.

All of the above seems to have worked for me and I will continue to avoid supplements if possible. Only as a ‘last resort’, such as if cramp symptoms return, might I consider taking a slow release magnesium supplement (e.g. Slow-Mag) as suggested by Volek and Phinney.

Also see the thread on this forum: 10 Signs of Magnesium Deficiency

There is however one supplement which I have taken and that is Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is not a consequence of low carbohydrate diets but rather it is a more general deficiency caused by lack of sun exposure. (It is actually almost impossible to get sufficient vitamin D from food alone irrespective of what type of diet one is consuming). After much reading about this I took a blood test and discovered that indeed my Vitamin D level was inadequate. I solved the problem initially by taking Biotech D3-50 capsules to get a quick boost into the normal range and thereafter I have maintained it by making sure I get sufficient sun exposure. For some excellent information on this subject I suggest this link Vitamin D Wiki

Last edited by Bintang : Sat, Jun-11-16 at 03:48.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-16, 04:36

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Here in Mexico, we drink only bottled water. This leads to a loss of magnesium. When I was having surgery for a burst appendix to save my life, the doctor asked me why my level of magnesium was so good as he was surprised. I told him I drink a bottle of agua mineral (club soda) everyday with lime. He told me not to stop as magnesium is very important. This is a natural way to get your magnesium and helps to keep you hydrated.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-16, 10:01

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Excellent post, Bintang. I'd forgotten how important how you prepare your food is for mineral absorption (though I usually eat veggies raw or sautéed).

I read Phinney and Volek's books shortly after they came out and have followed their advice since. I like the fact that it is specifically designed for those who have adopted a long-term LC lifestyle. I have concentrated on supplementing salt and have never had leg cramps since. Their advice works!

To the OP: magnesium oxide is not recommended unless you want the laxative effect. If you want to absorb the magnesium, look for one that ends in "ate" - magnesium citrate, magnesium chelate, etc.

Last edited by Liz53 : Sat, Jun-11-16 at 10:27.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-16, 06:44

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thanks. Such helpful information on supplementation.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-16, 07:47

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I take minimal supplements. A multi-vitamin, for good luck. Fish oil and flax oil for my lipid profile. Magnesium because I get cramps otherwise.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-16, 21:25

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

CALM is a powdered magnesium that is supposed to be better absorbed than other forms of magnesium (I get it on Amazon). I mix it in a glass before I go to bed and that has helped me sleep, helped prevent the strong leg cramps, and also helps with regularity. I can't get enough from food to provide these benefits.