Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 11:41

Plan: no specific one
Stats: 145/143/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Liquid lecithin

I found a low carb recipe calling for 2 Tbsps. liquid lecithin. I was unable to find this in any local stores, but did find lecithin powder form. Does anyone know if this may be substituted. If so, what would be the equivalent amount. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 06:11

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Are there any instructions on how to reconstitute the powder into liquid? If so, you could start there. Otherwise, you'll just have to experiment.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 05:24

BF:
Progress:
Default Liquid lecithin

There weren't any instructions on converting from granules to liquid, so I think I will order the liquid lecithin on-line. Thanks for your reply. I'm new to low-carber, and thought there might be a simple solution.

Marilyn
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 08:57

Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

What is the recipe? Perhaps the lecithin isn't really necessary.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 09:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Many years ago I bought a bottle of liquid lecithin to make home-made nonstick oil to brush on baking pans. I'd read instructions in "Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book" .. wanted to avoid using hydrogenated vegetable shortening full of transfats.

What a disaster!

Liquid lecithin is very thick and sticky, like oily molasses. Or beach tar . Because it's oily, it's very difficult to wash off anything .. measuring spoons, accidental spills, your skin .. and it stains. Bright yellow.

I've since had success using the dry granules as an emulsifier for salad dressings to prevent the oil & vinegar from separating, You need to use a blender or stick-blender to make sure it's completely dissolved. Fresh lecithin granules have a mild "buttery" taste, and can be sprinkled as is on salads, yogurt, cereal (if you eat it ). Lecithin is a good source of choline, an important nutrient for liver/digestive and nerve health.

Here's and old discussion on our forum .. Liquid lecithin vs. granules .. although it doesn't really offer any tips on substituting one for the other.

What's the recipe you're trying to make? It's possible the granules will work just fine, with a few adjustments. For example, the liquid has a higher fat content so that might make a difference. You'd probably want to go by weight rather than spoon measure, as the granules are "lighter" than the liquid (ie, a teaspoon of granules will weigh less than a teaspoon of liquid because it's less dense )

This site has a little more science-y information about lecithin, as well as several recipes for making foams and emulsions .. http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/tags/Soy-Lecithin

hope that helps

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Egg yolk and mustard are both really good thickeners. If possible, I'd use them instead.

I remember how sticky lecithin is! I can't believe they said to use it to coat pans! OMG.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 10:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
... I can't believe they said to use it to coat pans! OMG.
Actually, oil and lecithin are the main ingredients in most nonstick sprays . IIRC the recipe called for something like a teaspoon of liquid lecithin to one cup of oil, which you could apply to baking pans with a pastry brush.

Cleaning up the oily mess after that single spoonful of liquid lecithin was enough to convince me to never EVER do that again . Wiping a spilled droplet off the countertop just spread it out into a huge oily stain .. I had to use TSP (garage floor cleaner) to get rid of it!!

I've successfully used xanthan gum in a salad dressing to keep the oil & vinegar from separating .. you only need a bit, like half a teaspoonful. Needs a blender though, otherwise it "clumps".
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 09:13

BF:
Progress:

The recipe is "Chewy PB Cookies"
1/2 cup Splenda, 2 Tbsps. Splenda, 1/2 cup oat flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 1/2 tsps. vanilla extract, 2 Tbsps. liquid lecithin.
Given the vivid descriptions of how messy liquid lecithin is, I may eliminate this ingredient, or add a few teaspoons of the granules. The cookies may not be as chewy, but if they're pb, I'm sure I'll survive. :-) Thanks for all your advice.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 09:55

Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Knitaholic! How many cookies does this recipe make... you do realize it's pretty high in carbs?

FitDay says the entire recipe is 150 g carbs and 2500 cals. For 10 cookies, that's 15 g and 250 cals each. Even 20 cookies is still 7g and 125 cals each. But then you're pretty close to goal and may have better impulse control than I do!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 08:13

BF:
Progress:
Default Liquid lecithin

The chewy pb cookie recipe says it makes 36 cookies at 3 g each. Being not only a knitaholic, but a cookieaholic, I thought that didn't sound too bad. The recipe is from a "Cook'n Low Carb" recipe software. You're right though with respect to just how many cookies it makes. I will be careful to make 36 cookies. They may be just one bite.