Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 18:25

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 420/420/200 Male 73
BF:
Progress:
Default Calories on Atkins Induction

Hi all,

Today is my second day of low carb dieting.

Yesterday I ate:

1/4 lb. Roast Beef (Boars Head)
1./4 lb. Pastrami (Boars Head)
Smoked Salmon
Antipasto Salad (included 2 slices mortadella, sopressata, prosciutto, 2 slices provolone, 2 slices fresh mozzarella, 4 olives, 2 slices tomato)

Today:
Turkey Pepperoni (package said 0 carbs per serving)
Asiago Crisps (package said 0 carbs per serving)
Sugar Free Vintage Flavored Seltzer (0 carbs)
Grilled Chicken salad (iceberg, tomato, cucumber, 10 green olives, olive oil, red wine vinegar)
3 Italian sausages in tomato sauce (from a takeout place)
Diet Pepsi

I've been drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Am I doing this right for the induction phase, or should I be mindful of serving sizes and calories. Today, I counted 650 calories and 0 carbs from the pepperoni and Asiago crisps. Am I doing something wrong, should I modify, or am I doing good?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 19:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome, jschwartz! Looks like your initial approach is sound and limits your carbs very effectively. Have you done some research or are you following the Atkins plan from one of the Atkins books? These are very good to use as you're getting starting, as they combine the description of why this works with meal recommendations as well. Also, in the Atkins diet thread on this website, you'll find good information to get you started including meal recommendations. Explore this forum, as it has threads dedicated to a variety of low carb approaches.

Many don't count calories as much as they look at limiting grams of carbohydrates. That's the most important thing to count in the beginning. Keep carbs low at 20 grams or below for Atkins Induction phase. Don't hold back in consumption of healthy fats and be moderate in consumption of protein. Enjoy the journey!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 19:23

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 420/420/200 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Maybe to me it just seems too good to be true at times.

When I can eat things I love like pepperoni, it doesn't feel like a diet. Maybe it's counter-intuitive on a certain level.

I did the old Atkins in 2003, and lost a ton of weight. Sadly gained it back over the years as I stopped following it after losing 70 pounds.

I'm also looking forward to having one of my favorites tomorrow- 2 bacon cheeseburgers with lettuce and tomato, no bun. As well as being able to go into a Jewish deli and get 8 oz. of corned beef or pastrami, no bread, with mustard and sour pickles. I avoid cole slaw because of the sugar, and most things in a deli are off limits except for the meats and sour pickles, it seems. Chopped liver has loads of fried onions, which are carby, and they add sugar. Russian dressing has sugar. Franks with some sauerkraut should be ok. I've become so aware of the fact that everything seems to have sugar or flour in one form or the other.

I figure if I want to not get diabetes, which I'm at risk for and which runs in the family, I'm best off eating in a way suitable for a diabetic.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 19:32
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

For me it was watching the carbs and sticking to on plan foods for the first 6 or 7 months. No cheating. It was all about breaking free from the carby junk. The appetite fell on its own. I ate plenty in the beginning -- sometimes too many carbs. But I only ate on-plan food. Eventually I started to not want so much food (which was certainly not my norm). After 8 or 9 months my weight loss started to slow down. Only then did I start working the diet on the calorie side too. I had some bad habits to unlearn (snacking) and making progress was now possible once I'd made a break from my old favorites. Staying on-plan with the food choices and the average daily carbs is the key.

I wish you the best. Know that it can be done and you can do it... one on-plan day at a time.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 19:58

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I am on day two and around 8 pm I had a scoop of whey protein isolate (Andrew lessman) 10 grams protein - no carbs in it I had it dissolved with water -- could that take me out of ketosis???