Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 16:06

Plan: gary taubes
Stats: 181/178/160 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress:
Default International Travel & LCHF

Hi. Another questions by a newbie. I have a 12-day work trip that will take me from Seattle to Thailand, Washington DC, Copenhagen and then back home to Seattle. I have seen suggestions for Thai food that is low carb and presume I can eat delicious cheese and meat in Copenhagen. The part I'm not sure about is what eat besides nuts on the long flights and travel times. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 16:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

snacks for plane:
nuts
jerky
babybel cheese is wrapped in wax, so it travels well
quest bars

once beyond security, most airports have snacks like hard boiled eggs, veggies with dip, WATER or iced tea. I like the insides of a turkey wrap or deli chicken wrap.....

thai is rough- there is a LOT of sugar.
go for simple things like chicken skewers- skip the sugary peanut sauce. tom yum soup is great. coocnut based soups are generally fine. when in doubt ask for the meat or fish, with sauce on side. the veggies are awesome.

Copenhagen sounds like it will be easy- i have laways been fine in Europe.

DC is a breeze- I'm a native
We have everything- it is a very diverse population. In particular i love sushi places- we have loads- sashimi and miso soup is a perfect meal.
We also have a ton of steak houses.
in pubs, grab a burger and ask for salad instead instead of fries, then ditch the bun and eat it with a fork. also, may restaurants/ even pubs have crab cakes with no filler- just meat and egg/seasonings. a local chain Cylde's is a safe bet for any group- it's the default for bg groups with diverse palletes. nice, reasonable prices, very fun decor- each location has different theme.

when you are staying in hotels, if there is a mini fridge- i would keep things like deli meat, salad from grocery salad bar, cheese, bag of hard boiled eggs.....so you always have stuff. sometimes near rotiserrie chickens, they have smaller containers with just part of chicken or turkey. that would be ideal, since it is just for you.

have fun- that is a lot of travel!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-01-16, 07:04

Plan: gary taubes
Stats: 181/178/160 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll investigate quest bars. I hadn't thought about all the hidden sugars in Thai food. The work will be good, but all that travel will suck. It's just one of those times when everything is happening all around the same time!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-01-16, 08:11

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I always bring quest bars with me when I travel. I call them "emergency food" and usually bring a lot back home with me. But for those meals when I can't find anything LC to eat, (like the airplane) they are like diet life savers.

I also bring nuts and I never thought of the Babybel cheese, but that's a great idea (thanks Robin).

When I travel for business, I don't cheat, but if I travel for vacation to a foreign country (to me that's anything non-USA), I sample bits of the food. But I've been low carb since 2000, so I know how much I can get away with.

Enjoy your trip.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-01-16, 11:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

huruta, will you be flying coach? If so, pick the entree that seems to be the plainest--because they DO feed you on international flights, it's just that it's mostly carby badly cooked junk.

If you'll be in the front of the plane, it's easier. There, you get a menu with a variety of choices, and at least one of them is usually a hunk of meat, with a salad.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-01-16, 14:26

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I carry grass-fed paleo meat sticks because they seem to survive just about any situation. I get them on Amazon. All other suggestions are great.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-10-16, 19:55

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hello,

I visited Thailand at the beginning of my low carb journey and did quite well there. While it is true that most thai food has some sugar in it, I think you can manage for a short time. Please keep in mind that it will probably throw you out of ketosis and is probably not suitable for Atkins induction. I continue to eat Thai food in America and really enjoy it, although I have never really eaten extremely low carb. I have lost all my weight at around 60 grams of carbs.

In Thailand (Bangkok and Hua Hin) I ate a lot of curries without rice, just as a soup.
I also ate loads of Tom Kha Gai soup, which is a beautiful fragrant coconut soup with chicken. Sometimes, this and other soups are served with noodles. I was typically able to ask for it without noodles but there were times that I simply didn't eat the noodles and left them in the bowl.
I found a lot of authentic restaurants that made a lot of simple vegetable and meat stir fries. I particularly liked eating Pork belly and various greens. The rice comes on the side, so you can avoid it.
Another tip is to eat at food courts in malls: they have numerous options in one place so if you're traveling with friends/family that don't eat low carb, everyone wins.

I also ate a lot of dumplings but peeled the wrappers off. This might be considered rude if you don't know the people you are dining with, but it is an option.

The only mistake I made was eating Laab, which is a great mince meat stir fry that is served with lettuce leaves to wrap in. I later realized that it has rice powder in it Again, this didn't have a huge impact on me but you might like to avoid it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-29-16, 10:29

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I just got back from a 2 1/2 week biz trip to central Europe... On the plane, I brought meat sticks, salami, string cheese, brazil nuts, and pumpkin seeds, and I asked for a gluten free meal, out of which there was some stuff I could eat (salad, chicken, broccoli, frittata for breakfast, cantaloupe) and some stuff I couldn't (deserts, banana, apple, gluten-free roll, rice).

The trip itself was challenging because there were back to back to back eating extravaganzas as part of the schedule, but I mostly was able to just avoid the bread and carbs that accompanied every meal. I did cheat a little -- there was just too much on offer, including limitless wine, and I DID want to try some of the special desserts. I knew I'd gain a little, and I did -- 4 pounds -- but I've been back three days, and have already dropped 1.5 of those, and I'm happily back on plan. This diet is supposed to augment our lives, not ruin them, so yeah, I had some apple strudel.

Sorry I don't have suggestions for Asia, but avoiding the rice that comes with everything and haing cabbage-based salad and soups might be a good start.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-29-16, 17:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Great suggestions on this thread. The things I plan for most are airport waits and the flights, because once you're at a destination, even Asian destinations, you can usually be creative and find something that's on plan. No need to try for perfection.

I pack a bag of mixed nuts bought at Trader Joe's with Macs, Hazelnuts, Almonds, and Pecans. Some salted if available, as it helps with dehydration, and hey, salt's good for you! The Quest bars are an excellent recommendation. Put those in your carry-on to have available at all times. Any dried meats, jerkies, etc. are good as well. Note that I've been fat adapted for quite some time, and I'm able to go long periods without any food. So a big bag of nuts and some cheese is usually enough for me on outbound and inbound flights.

I just came back from an overseas trip to Ireland, and MickiSue's advice is on the mark. I would accept the hot meals they serve, usually you have two choices in coach and one is likely pasta, so take the one that's not pasta. You can usually find meat or a salad that's low carb. If you're in business class or above, you'll get a menu with more selections. Most airline snacks are crap, so you'll have backup in your carry-on. Nuts tend to fill me up very quickly, and I make sure I drink lots of water and soda (sparkling) water as well. You'll be surprised at how easy it is with just a few preparations. Enjoy your trip,