Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-09, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232.8/216.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:45.5%/42.3%/22.5%
Progress: 14%
Default "New" Here--Again--After a 5 Year "Vacation"

Hello All
I am not new to low-carbing and have even tried it a couple of times over the last five years since I last posted here (along with other diets). A lot happened during my time away, and a lot was happening AT that time. I was five years younger and the issues of life were such that I wasn't ready to commit to this WOL. I thought I was ready, and I was ready to a certain degree. But the pull of other things was stronger.

I lost my mother the year I started logging on here at the Forum in 2004. It was a difficult year to be sure, surrounding hospitals and tests and doctors and home care mostly handled by me and my sister. We both had young children too, which meant that they were more in need of intensive training, overseeing, etc, and me adding in LEARNING how to do low-carb was too much. If I was caring for a dying parent, caring for small children, running a home and entering college full time all at once, I couldn't have felt more stressed about what I put on my plate and into my mouth! I've never understood food, and though I have diabetes and heart problems in my medical history, I really felt overwhelmed trying to figure it all out. It was just too much for me.

So, in 2004, Life (and the end of a life) took precedence over my own dieting plans. I stopped logging into this site, stopped even reading about what everyone else was doing, and reverted to my old unsuccessful (but familiar) ways of handling my weight: often skipping meals, often several in a row, often drinking just coffee all day, trying to lose weight and slowing my metabolism in the bargain. It's just how I was raised and all my siblings still do this.

My weight hasn't changed much since I was here last time. I might have been a few pounds heavier when I started this five years ago, maybe closer to 240 lbs, but this time I started at 232 lbs and I'm now down to 220 in abt 2 weeks. That's nice, sure, but I know my weight will not drop that fast forever, it will slow down---but that won't change the fact that this must be done, and I am okay with that. My goal weight is 115 and it will be 115 whether I get there at ten pound losses every week (I wish!!! ) or at 10 pound losses a month. That's reality. That's the way things are and that's got to be okay.

My cooking creativity is often stretched on low carb, but that will get better as I go---and low-carb cook books consulted a day, or three, ahead of meals is very helpful.

Anyway, my head is into this as it never has been. Even five years ago, when I look at those posts I wrote and saw how encouraged I was and how geared up, I remember that I was TRYING to be geared up, trying to be encouraged and definitely trying to encourage others, and that's a good thing! SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO ACT LIKE WE'RE GOING TO SUCCEED IN ORDER TO GET IN THE PLACE WHERE WE CAN SUCCEED! But I admit my head wasn't wrapped around this as a long term thing five years ago, nor was my heart fully in it. My idea was that I had to accept the inevitable: I would be eating bacon, no carb cheese, beef, tons of eggs and a few vegetables the rest of my life. ICK!! But I wanted to lose the weight and felt that was the only way. Now I see that my food options are greater than I imagined them to be, and though I have begun on Atkins Induction, I will find my way closer to my goal weight, find the fit that works for me, to keep my weight down, to maintain a good weight for the long haul, for the rest of my life. I know my family medical history demands it.

I cannot promise that I will always be in a good mood about it, that I will always try to find the silver lining, because I am no longer the young woman who believes that succeeding at this requires me to pretend I'm not having a bad day. To be fully honest, I am NOT excited about this, but I AM peaceful about it as never before. I am TRULY okay with it, and I think this is just the maturity that comes with being 45 and having built up some "life experience." I feel steady. I feel contented--yes even at this weight, I feel contented because I am able to focus on my health again, not as a quick-fix, but as a person learning, day by day, how to live in the long term.

START WHERE YOU ARE.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-09, 09:35
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Great post! You sound really ready, I wish you all the best!

Welcome back!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-09, 11:08

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Welcome back Katy! It isn't an easy journey and you know that already. There will be days when you feel like throwing in the towel, but keep coming back here and posting. Those feelings do pass and the support here will help you through those dark times. All the best to you!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-09, 13:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 294/289.4/175 Female 64 in
BF:yikes!!
Progress: 4%

Hi Katy,
Wecome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy1964
Hello To be fully honest, I am NOT excited about this, but I AM peaceful about it as never before.

I like what you said here. That's a good way to look at it. If you can't be excited about eating this way, then just peacefully accept it. But you can get excited about losing weight on this WOL.

I also got off plan due to a death in the family. About a year ago today, I was doing great, had already lost 30 plus pounds and was going strong. Then my grandmother passed away, and it really upset me. And now, here I am a year later, just getting back on track.

I wish you much success!
Sonia
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 04:47
Registered Member

Thanks Valeriel, Charran, and Sonia567 It's good to be back. I'll "talk" to you soon!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 08:52
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome!

Starting a journal is a great way for others to leave support and encouragement.

Nice to "meet" you
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 12:29
Registered Member

Default A Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
Welcome!

Starting a journal is a great way for others to leave support and encouragement.

Nice to "meet" you

Thank you, NixCarbos. You know I think this would be a great idea---a journal, to evaluate feelings and have a record of ups and downs I'll do that soon.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 12:53

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
Welcome!

Nice to "meet" you

DITTO!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I am sure that would completely take over my life for years. I am so glad you came back to Lc'ing! I am coming back too and I was here around the same time as you but was going through some life changes myself! I hope you do start the journal - we can support eachother now that we found our way back! have a great weekend and keep up the great work!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 12:56
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Hello, Katy, and welcome back!

Many of us here are re-treads, and have been learning a lot in the process. Timing w/life-events is part of the reality. Sooner or later, if you keep trying something that works, you work it. It clicks. You sound like you've felt the `click'.

I agree, most of us slow down our weight loss after about 5-8 months. The conclusion that I've come to about that is that you hop on that horse and ride it hard while that window is open. (Don't try for a visual on that metaphor, it just won't work.)

Anyway, best to you, and welcome.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 13:10
Registered Member

That's the thing I see now: when I have dieted in the past I have tried to rev myself up and get a positive thing going. Of course, I hated to think about taking the time to prepare food and so acted a bit like a cheerleader for myself. I have cooked nightly for my family for over 20 years, and I make sure my kids always have a good nutritious meal. We don't buy pre-packaged foods, I cook from scratch, and we eat big salads at night, etc etc. But I personally always skipped meals. It started when I was young and slim. I was so concerned about my weight, I was slowing down my metabolism but didn't know it. Now I realize the blood sugar issues in my family are affecting me and always have, and so getting all excited about a diet wasn't going to make the diet work I need the RIGHT diet and I needed to make sure I kept the fire stoked throughout the day. This has been one of the hardest things for me, to eat regularly---but my attitude has changed and as I said, I feel at peace with this and know that if it works, it's because it works---not because I smile and giggle over it It just has to be done, so I am doing it.

So sorry about you losing your grandmother, Sonya. I adored mine too, and her death was a terrible blow to me. In time, it didn't hurt as much, but I still miss her (14 years later). I'm sure your Gram would want you to be as healthy as you can be, huh? And look---you're getting healthier and healthier with each passing day. Good luck to you!!

Last edited by Katy1964 : Fri, Jun-05-09 at 13:11. Reason: duplicate word
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 13:43
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen24
The conclusion that I've come to about that is that you hop on that horse and ride it hard while that window is open. (Don't try for a visual on that metaphor, it just won't work.) .

You're great Kathleen!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 14:55
Registered Member

To HIPPYGIRL: Losing my mother was very very hard, but had I been on the plan for a longer time and had I been more comfortable in it, I MAY not have strayed. I don't know. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered at all: I was thinking at the time that low-carbing meant eating bacon, cream cheese, and a lot of eggs all the time and it was getting VERY VERY boring as you can imagine!!! I was also hearing how BAD LCing was for peoples' health, so that made things worse. But you know what? We're BACK on track

My husband always says that I have not failed as long as I will stand up, brush myself off, and begin again. He said that one of the hardest things for anyone to do is diet and many people start and stop several times until something just "clicks." So, that's encouraging. I keep 4 words in my vocabulary for every day: "Start Where You Are." That's the only place to start---not looking back and feeling like a failure, but moving forward. It's hard to take care of yourself on a good diet when you are angry and disappointed in yourself. You don't feel much like taking care of someone you don't like.

To KATHLEEN24: I hope the speed of my loss keeps going for another 5 to 7 months. That would be great! I never heard that the weight could come off relatively quickly for that long. Have you read this or is this something I will find out about as I read the stories here on this forum? I would be happy to ride that horse hard through a window!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 15:01
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 370/210/170 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Welcome, and that sounds really familiar. I lost 150 lbs on Atkins in 1999/2003 then gained it all back, plus some. This go round I have made my peace with it. It makes for a very different (and easier) journey.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 15:11
Registered Member

Good for you, DC Hound!!! Good for you that you've come back!