Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 02:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation exercise??

how important is it to exercise with this diet? honestly i dont have much time, maybe 30 minutes a day. would i still lose weight if i only exercise for 30 minutes or so?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 06:33

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Exercise is important to any lifestyle. My doc has told me that any exercise is better than none at all. He even offered to me to break it down in 2-3 15 minutes at a time. I have a really bad knee, and ankle. He just said do as much as I can, but 45 minutes is ideal per my doc.

I'm no expert by any means and really don't exercise like I should.
But I do know you'd be better off in the long run to get moving.

Good Luck.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 06:39

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hey Jennifer... I find if I do half an hour per day I get faster weight loss. If you're young and your metabolism is ok, just eating right will get rid of the weight. I have found though, that now I'm over 30, I need that extra boost to help me.
I don't always manage it ... but when I do it helps.
Half an hour is absolutely fine .. ANYTHING is better than nothing at all. And yes, you'll lose weight if you do half an hour ...
Go for it!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 08:19

Plan: SBD as of 10/17/05
Stats: 172.5/135.5/130.0 Female 5 feet 1 inch
BF:BMI:32.6/25.6/24.6
Progress: 87%

30 minutes a day will definitely help in your weight loss. Of course, the more the better, but anything is a big help. I have days where I cannot get enough exercise in, to suit my needs. However, I try my best to get in at least SOME exercise, even if it's climbing stairs more often at work or parking further in the parking lot.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 121/102/99 Female 5'2 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer*
how important is it to exercise with this diet? honestly i dont have much time, maybe 30 minutes a day. would i still lose weight if i only exercise for 30 minutes or so?

thanks!

My friend did this diet, and she lost a lot of weight by exercising. (Also eating small meals many times throughout the day to give her metabolism a workout) She worked out for almost 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, which I thought was a little too much and she got too thin very quickly, so I'm almost positive that the 30 minutes will suffice and be much healthier! I need to start working out too, but I'm on the South Beach Diet's rival... ATKINS! lol I'm thinking of starting the South Beach though, as Atkins is far too restrictive.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 09:59

Stats: 310/216/225 Male 6'-4"
BF:34/20/20
Progress: 111%

It's pretty simple. Any excersize or movement burns calories.

You don't HAVE to excersize at all, but if you want to lose the weight quicker, excersize will certainly help.

Take a 20 minute walk every day. You'll feel better, and, in many people, it suppresses the appetite.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 14:45

BF:

thanks so much!

i plan on joining the gym early next week. what if i go there for an hour a day 4 days a week or so (sometimes more, depending on how busy i am)? about how long would it take me to lose 20 pounds? im 18, by the way! thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer*
thanks so much!

i plan on joining the gym early next week. what if i go there for an hour a day 4 days a week or so (sometimes more, depending on how busy i am)? about how long would it take me to lose 20 pounds? im 18, by the way! thanks again!

I haven't read all of your replies, but I would strongly suggest going the the FitDay website (www.fitday.com) and setting up a profile.

Basically, you will plug in your lifestyle, excersize patterns, foods eaten, weight and time goals, and FitDay does the rest for you.

Very slick. But it does take some time to set it up and to maintain it.

Check it out.

One other thing... most teenagers can lose weight very quickly, because their metabolism is higher than when they get older... (you're burning more calories now that you will when you are 40... GOOD LUCK....
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 16:23

Jennifer...

You asked how long it would take to lose 20 pounds.

I'm a pretty big guy, but I lost 20 pounds in 20 days on South Beach Phase 1.

I wouldn't expect you to do that, but it is possible.

The more strict you are on Phase 1, the faster you will lose the weight.

Remember... DRINK LOTS OF WATER !!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Jennifer -

You have the weight loss benefits of youth, but at the same time, since you aren't too far above your ideal weight it will be more difficult to lose quickly. Exercise would definitely go a long way towards speeding that up, and yes, 30 minutes a day is enough. I don't know if you're exercising already, but if you presently have an aerobic base you might consider doing something like High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). I believe that a normal session of that tends to be 30 minutes or less anyway, with health and performance benefits equaling or exceeding those of traditional, long cardio. Weight training wouldn't hurt either.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 17:23

BF:

Okay thanks! You guys have helped a lot already!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 12:33

Plan: combination
Stats: 140/123/120 Female 5'7"
BF:24.2%
Progress: 85%

Once, when I was 28 someone asked me when my baby was due and I suddenly realized that the baby was eight months old and I was still wearing maternity clothes. I started walking at night when the kids were in bed, for half an hour or so. I was so dumb - I'd walk my half hour and then come home and have a bowl of ice cream as a reward. Still the pounds just melted off!

So I'd say yeah, thirty minutes a day will definitely work! You can either diet OR exercise but if you do both you'll lose that 20 pounds shockingly fast. Enjoy being 18!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 14:25

Stats: 274/258/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I have never been one who likes to exercise. I know that it is something that is necessary for me though - for health reasons, not just for losing weight.
I have started to walk 2 miles a day on my treadmill, and I have an exercise bike that I will rotate that 2 miles a day with. It actually goes pretty quick, and I put a TV in the room I keep these two items in.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 17:07
Registered Member

Stats: 250/210/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Actually, I think the experts say that 30 - 45 minutes of exercise something like 4 times a week would be fine. Getting any kind of exercise is better than none at all, even if it is just taking a walk in the morning or evening.

I would caution about getting "gung ho" and signing a gym contract while the mood strikes and you think you're going to go into this 4 or 5 times a week. Oftentimes that commitment lessens within weeks - and you still have to pay on the contract. You don't need a gym to exercise! Take walks. If you have a bike, dust it off and go for a ride. (Provided you live in a place where it doesn't snow!) Look at community classes for fitness classes. Cities often offer these for 6 to 8 weeks for reasonable prices. Invest in a pilates DVD and give it a try. Only after you know how much time (realistically) you can give to this and are still interested, then maybe look for a gym.

As to how long it will take to lose 20 pounds? No one can say. It depends on too many factors and no one here is skilled enough to know your body and how it will react to foods you will eat and the exercise combination. It might take a couple of months. Or it could take 6 months. It might take a year. All you can do is develop your plan and keep working it. Find what works for you and stay with it, and before you know it you will be at goal.

Good luck!