Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

Well if you are going to be like that I would say skin the chin and go for the teeth! LOL okay that was mean, but I got this thing about teeth, feet, and hands ( not in a nasty fetish sort of way so stop thinking that) but if your feet, hands, and teeth are really bad it is a big turn off for me! So is men with feminine hands I dont know why!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 14:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

I have lost 40+ pounds in 6 months and I have a lot of flab hanging off of my stomach now, and what was firm is now floppy. (Of course, my rear-end and my breasts are still fatty, I seem to be losing mostly in my stomach and face) I exercise and everything, I go to Curves 3 days a week and I walk 2x. My doctor suggested I increase my water intake to keep my skin hydrated. It has more elastic properties if it is hydrated. But I fully expect that I will have to have flesh removed when I get my weight down.

Hopefully that will not be the case, but if I go into this expecting it, I won’t have such a shock when the doc finally says I have to.

Also, I have noticed that I get rashes and sores where the skin rubs, especially when it is hot. I use a LOT of baby powder (with cornstarch, the only place on my body where starch is a good thing. LOL). It does seem to keep the rashes away.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents about the skin removal thing. I didn’t actually watch that show, but I have seen other shows where the people had the surgery BECAUSE they lost weight. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone have the surgery TO lose weight. That would be strange.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 18:02

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I actually went for a Dr appt. today and asked her about this while I was there...I guess there is some validity to the whole skin removal thing. She has a gentleman that lost 300 pounds and needed 30 pounds removed from his stomach because of the skin breaking down because it was empty skin and lots of it. She said its not vanity but necessary for lots of people with that issue.
I also found out my insurance will now pay for it.........what a dilemma!
Well I guess I have quite a ways to go before I make that choice but if it affects me as it seems to affect lots of other supersized people after the loss then perhaps I would to prevent the infections and skin issues.
I don't know.........will have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

Nibby
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 09:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

My top weight was 521 lbs. 20 years ago. I was at rock bottom and found Overeaters Anonomous 12 step program. It saved my because I had so many self esteem and acceptance issues. Over the next 6 years I lost 320 lbs. on a lo fat, hi carb, hi fiber plan and a lot of excercise. I also struggled with constant cravings every minute and did have occasional binges. I had to have a hernia repaired and had about 10 lbs. of loose skin removed from my stomach at the same time but it was necessary because of hygiene problems. After losing all that weight, I went off my strick plan and began to put weight back on. Never put it all back on though, Thank God! Went up to 416 lbs. and that's when I found Atkins last May 27th. What a revelation this WOE has been! NO MORE CRAVINGS! For the first time in my life I am not constantely hungry. I know this is what I have to be on forever. Weight is coming off slow but I feel much better.

Mel
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 20:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/125/115 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress:
Default trash can of skin

I watched that show, in fact the doctor is from my town herein kansas. I have had him remove a mole and do sinus surgery on my about 10 years ago before he got so famous (DR lockwood was also on 60 minutes last year ..lhe does body lifts, not just face lifts.
keep in mind that lady was show only a few weeks after surgery. wonder how she looks now.does anybody have i nfor mation on going to Costa rica for plastic surgery?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:21

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default FYI - other option

OK, the surgery scares me, so I have done quite a bit of research on the hanging baggin skin issue.... here are some things I have discoved:

1. Yes, exercise help minimize the bagging. Especially if you do step increments of exercising. For example on arm lifts, lift a lower poundage for 10 reps, up the poundage until you get some burn, lift for 10 reps, then lower the pundage again and do 10 reps. There is something about the burn which rushes collagen to the site which helps to tighten skin.

2. For women who are premenapasal, you will have less problems that those that are post menapasal. Estrogen therapy can help keep the skin elastic and decrease the amount of bagging.

3. Along with that taking Colostrum can help keep the skin elastic, and decrease the bags. I have notice a big difference in my skin texture and firmness since I have started taking Colostrum.

4. There is now experiments being conducted on a non-evasive method for decreasing the flabbly skin. This is as I said still in testing, the results are extremely positive. It will be a 'treat at home' type of treatment where the tissue next to the baggy area is irratated and thus a healing mechanism is engaged which then may cause a decrease in the bagginess. (Hummmmm kinda like #1!)

Hope this helps anyone who is interested.