Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~centa*of*
I don't understand why you came to a PALEO section to talk about your pregnancy and then have a go at those who follow the PALEO way of eating for giving their advice

I clearly did not ask anyone’s opinion on my fantastic cakes of deliciousness.

Quote:
Dairy is 100% not paleo. If you read any scientific justification, there is NOT ONE SINGLE mammal on earth that naturally consumes milk after weaning, ESPECIALLY not from ANOTHER mammal.

NOT ONE SINGLE mammal on earth naturally:
Cooks their food!
Assembles their food tasty, complicated ways!
Eats plants, shellfish, minerals, land mammals and fruit!
Refrigerates perishables!
Argue the superiority of their contrived diet on internet message boards!

Quote:
Both have had NO trouble with eating (unlike the stuff I hear from mother’s group and friends with kids).

Once again, correlation doesn’t equal causification!

Quote:
I find this whole forum a rather pathetic excuse for paleo information. Why bother coming here if all you want is reassurance that it’s ok to eat food that is clearly not paleo?

Quote:
I come to (well used to at least) this forum to get support for eating food based on Paleo available foods. All I get here is discussions from people who are either not ever going to be paleo or wanting justification to eat stuff not paleo, rarely discussions on how to become more paleo or improve your diet to be paleo.

I guess the real question is why do you come here? You and “Tarlach” clearly have your own diet down to the milligram with no room for error. Why bother coming here if all you want is to hear your own opinions with no descent? Why not just talk among yourselves? Difference in opinion & interpretation clearly bothers you, and you’re clearly experiencing DIVERSITY in this forum - why keep coming back to point out how righteous you are when that’s not getting you anywhere but fustrated?

Quote:
I am trusting SCIENCE to tell me what probably was available and consumed by Paleo man. That is what makes me a Paleolithic eater

SCIENCE, centa, doesn’t prove or tell anything. When something is found, it’s found, but the lack of discovery doesn’t mean something doesn’t exist.

I have to say it’s interesting that so many tubers are on your Don’t Kid Yourself - It’s NOT Paleo list! That’s not very scientific!

There is NO evidence that Paleo man did or did not consume dairy products. The consumption of dairy is associated with the agricultural revolution because that's when evidence has been found. That does NOT mean dairy was not consumed prior, and MY opinion is that it probably was.

I completely believe that some (not all! Surely!) people have had domestic relationships with animals since EVER! To ME it does not make sense that suddenly we're all friendly. Ever talked with a wild bird? Made eyes with a wild animal? SUDDENLY, after thousands and thousands of years wild animals and people have the ability to get along? That just doesn't make sense to me. Just look at the guy who lives with bears.

We have different opinions centa - but you can't prove me wrong!

Quote:
But please don’t try and justify that your way of eating is fine to be called Paleo when it simply is just not…

I would never justify my way of eating is YOUR way of eating. You clearly have food intolerance!

Don't forget there's people more Paleo than you out there! I’m sure the raw paleo people would be completely insulted you tarnish their Paleo club by cooking your food.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlach
And you are happy to have a go at us for offering our opinions after my wife's experience?

It clearly differed greatly to you own, and I thought would be of interest to others.

Yep - postpartum depression is pretty horrible! I'm glad your wife didn't have to experience it!
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, it almost makes me wish I weren't too old to produce a kid. I'm sure my Mom was probably D deficient. I have a very small jaw with very crowded teeth.

Don't! It may be the reason you have such a large brain! http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...40325074128.htm

Science is so interesting, isn't it? So many possible explanations that are always changing... nothing is proven... etc etc...
  #124   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:18

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3splenda
I completely believe that some (not all! Surely!) people have had domestic relationships with animals since EVER! To ME it does not make sense that suddenly we're all friendly. Ever talked with a wild bird? Made eyes with a wild animal? SUDDENLY, after thousands and thousands of years wild animals and people have the ability to get along? That just doesn't make sense to me. Just look at the guy who lives with bears.

That's really not the same as domestication. Domesticated animals have a trait known as "neoteny." It essentially means holding onto juvenile characteristics into adulthood. Making eyes with a wild bird is a far cry from getting down and squeezing a wild doe's boobies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny

Stephen Budiansky's book "The Covenant of the Wild" offers a compelling explanation of how domestication could have happened.

Quote:
Don't forget there's people more Paleo than you out there! I’m sure the raw paleo people would be completely insulted you tarnish their Paleo club by cooking your food.

I think Tarlach and Centa might have the most rules out of anyone on this forum, but obviously there are more restrictive eaters such as the carnivores. What amuses me is that the carnivores actually have much simpler rules!
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
I would be curious if children of parents with crooked teeth were raised either with a paleo or a WAPF type diet ended up with straight teeth despite their parents' jaw and tooth formation, or if it become inherited after a few generations of eating poorly.

I don't know of any scientific studies on this, but I do know that there have been no conclusions on a WAPF parenting board I frequent. People with children who still have crooked teeth attribute it to generations of eating poorly & needing generations of eating "correctly" to correct it etc etc.

Who knows!
  #126   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
That's really not the same as domestication.

I said:

"There is NO evidence that Paleo man did or did not consume dairy products. The consumption of dairy is associated with the agricultural revolution because that's when evidence has been found. That does NOT mean dairy was not consumed prior, and MY opinion is that it probably was.

I completely believe that some (not all! Surely!) people have had domestic relationships with animals since EVER! To ME it does not make sense that suddenly we're all friendly. Ever talked with a wild bird? Made eyes with a wild animal? SUDDENLY, after thousands and thousands of years wild animals and people have the ability to get along? That just doesn't make sense to me. Just look at the guy who lives with bears."
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
I think they have to start off in-utero with good levels of D and K2. The formation of the skull gets done very early on. WAPF is a pretty good eating plan but we don't really get much D from food, so they should either supplement or get lots and lots of sunshine.

Well that should still work. They began the WAPF eating plan before she got pregnant, and have supplemented with D3 and K2 all along, so we'll still have to see. Got a long wait though.
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Back when I was in high school and had never heard of paleo eating I can still remember going over to visit my best friend. And if her mother was making hamburgers my friend would always grab little chunks of raw meat out of the bowl to eat! Eeewww, I remember how grossed out I was. Now I see how paleo of her it was.

But of course she was *not* really paleo as her mother also baked all the family's bread, and I can remember also being there when her mother was taking loaves of bread from the oven, and she would *also* grab a fresh loaf and rip it apart, and slather butter all over it and chow down.

Were they European? Steak tartare (& bread with butter ) is a common dish... I grew up with a family from The Netherlands & the mom would always make it as an appetizer.

Funny anecdote: The first time I went to The Netherlands I ordered a chautceuterie plate. I was STARVING & when I got a huge plate of cheese & giant pile of steak tartare I was pretty revolted! I thought I was going to get sausage or something - all I got was ground beef!
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 11:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Well that should still work. They began the WAPF eating plan before she got pregnant, and have supplemented with D3 and K2 all along, so we'll still have to see. Got a long wait though.

Yay! Then hopefully the baby will have a nice wide jaw!
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 12:26

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
I think Tarlach and Centa might have the most rules out of anyone on this forum, but obviously there are more restrictive eaters such as the carnivores. What amuses me is that the carnivores actually have much simpler rules!

True, and I can't wait to get back to it. I wish I were as lucky as Centa, but I come from a long line of hyperemesis sufferers, and while I don't have hyperemesis, I am not a "glower", either. I have come to accept that my pregnant body will not simply bend to my will, and I am doing the best I can, knowing that it is temporary. (Maybe this is like the teeth, and it would take generations of ZC eating to get an easy pregnancy in my line.)

My ZC friends are all very supportive, and they don't feel they have to remind me that such-and-such that I ate was not meat. They know I am doing what I have to do right now, and don't question my dedication to ZC. For that matter, when I was ZCing and drinking coffee, they didn't question me either. However, if I *asked for advice*, because I wasn't getting the health benefits I wanted, I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to tell me to drop the coffee.
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 14:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder what the deal is with the nausea? From an evolutionary point of view it doesn't seem like a good thing. And making you eat/crave only crappy grain products doesn't seem like a good evolutionary move, especially since they probably weren't available to native peoples, before modern times.

Wouldn't it be interesting to sit down with maybe some real hunter-gatherer, eating traditional diets, women that went through pregnancy and find out what their experience was like? Like what do the Tokelauns do? What about the San? The Masai? The Inuit? Do they get the nausea? What do they crave? Maybe they self-medicate with plants or something.
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 14:38

BF:

Good question Nancy! The Masai eat loads of dairy. I wonder if they make cream cheese frosting for their blood pudding?
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 14:50

Quote:
Wouldn't it be interesting to sit down with maybe some real hunter-gatherer, eating traditional diets, women that went through pregnancy and find out what their experience was like? Like what do the Tokelauns do? What about the San? The Masai? The Inuit? Do they get the nausea? What do they crave? Maybe they self-medicate with plants or something.

Sheila Kitzinger said that the only women in the world who don't get hyperemesis are Jamaicans. I don't know if she was including hunter-gatherers in that statement.

Kitzinger claims she doesn't know why, but I think the ready availability of both ginger and cannabis has something to do with it.
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3splenda
I said:

"There is NO evidence that Paleo man did or did not consume dairy products. The consumption of dairy is associated with the agricultural revolution because that's when evidence has been found. That does NOT mean dairy was not consumed prior, and MY opinion is that it probably was.

I completely believe that some (not all! Surely!) people have had domestic relationships with animals since EVER! To ME it does not make sense that suddenly we're all friendly. Ever talked with a wild bird? Made eyes with a wild animal? SUDDENLY, after thousands and thousands of years wild animals and people have the ability to get along? That just doesn't make sense to me. Just look at the guy who lives with bears."

I think I must be missing something. I'm afraid repeating yourself didn't help me understand you. What do you mean by a "domestic relationship" and how would that enable an adult human to obtain and drink milk from another animal? I was thinking about this and if it doesn't mean suckling a lactating animal directly, then some kind of vessel would be required. Do you think that could be done with a skin or something else that wouldn't leave archaeological evidence?
  #135   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 15:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Sheila Kitzinger said that the only women in the world who don't get hyperemesis are Jamaicans. I don't know if she was including hunter-gatherers in that statement.

Kitzinger claims she doesn't know why, but I think the ready availability of both ginger and cannabis has something to do with it.

Ginger was the only thing that relieved my all-day, most of 6 month morning sickness. I lost 25 pounds my first pregnancy because I hadn't discovered that yet (I started at 215, ended up at 190). My other pregnancies, once I discovered pickled ginger, were much easier in that regard.