Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 02:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default 'Mind control' over muscle power

Came across this interesting article this morning. I usually try to focus on the muscle I'm working too.

BBC News
London, UK
31 March, 2006

Thinking about the way your muscles work could physically boost your strength, research suggests.

A Hull University team asked 30 subjects to do biceps curls and found their muscles worked more when they focused on what the muscles were doing.

But lower rates of muscle activity were recorded when they simply visualised themselves lifting the weight.

The study is being presented at the British Psychological Society conference in Cardiff on Friday.

The team wired their subjects up to weight machines which monitored levels of electrical activity in their biceps and asked them to think in two different ways while exercising.

The more electrical activity measured - the more the muscle is doing.

When subjects were asked to focus on what their muscles were doing and how they were working there were significantly higher levels of electrical activity.

But when they were asked to visualise lifting the weight, electrical activity was lower.

Earlier studies have shown that thinking about what muscles are actually doing can make more skilful tasks like throwing a ball more difficult.

Penalty kick

Dr David Marchant explains: "When athletes are at the starting line they are primarily focusing on the end of the track rather than what their legs are doing."

If they focused on the actual movement in their legs they probably would not perform as well, he said.

But this research shows it can be helpful to focus directly on the muscles to improve muscle strength.

Dr Marchant added: "Say you have a footballer who's got some sort of muscular injury he wants to repair - ask him to think about what the muscle is actually doing while he is exercising and it is better.

"But if he's going to kick a penalty - don't get him to think about the muscle because it will go wrong. Instead focus on the goal."

Mental imaging

Dr Marchant suggest the reason why the penalty kick will fail in this scenario is because the player's muscle is over-activated by the mental focus on it.

He suggested that sports coaches and trainers would benefit from tailoring their instructions depending on what they wanted to achieve.

Dr Jim Golby, expert in sports and mental toughness at the University of Teesside's Social Futures Institute, said the study was an interesting one which tested how mental imaging affected performance.

But he said testing the subjects with 10 repetitions did not really replicate any real life sporting conditions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4861268.stm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 5 ft 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

The mind is a very powerful thing. I think it can give you a slight edge, but I don't think it can be a difference-maker; that is still hard work.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I remember a study from years ago. A group of college students shot basketballs. The number of baskets was recorded. Then they were split into two groups. Group A was told to practice shooting baskets for one hour a day. Group B was told to visualize shooting baskets for one hour a day. They were retested after a month. Group A nearly doubled their number of baskets. Group B also improved markedly, never having touched a basketball for the month.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-06, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 234/212/168 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 33%

this isn't important but i notice that when i work out instead of focusing on how difficult it is to push myself but rather tell myself how easy it is even when i feel painfully weak im able to endure a lot more. Even though it gets to the point to where im just saying it i know that when its all over with i can look back on my work out and say i got though all of that and i thought it was easy. I think that buy focusing on my weaknesses i am able to turn them into my stregnths. In time my weaknesses are my streagnths.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 02:29

Plan: TKD/CKD
Stats: 247/180/180 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 100%

remember, Arnold was first. Watch pumping iron