Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 09:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%
Default yogurt and yeast

Yes, this is a girl thing.

I have always been prone to vaginal yeast infections. I used monistat for years, but it just seems a temporary cure.

I finally tried yogurt (unsweetened), both topically and as a regular snack. It cleared up beautifully. I've eaten yogurt a few times a week since (I prefer the unsweetened kind), and only have yeast problems return when I go on antibiotics.

So now I'm on Atkins, in induction, and yogurt's not on the list. I know the health food store sells a syrup with the same probiotics you get in yogurt, but it's in a sugary syrup and I'm sure it's not permitted for induction.

For now, I can use the yogurt topically, and eat loads of garlic. I was wondering, though, for later, if there is a good low carb yogurt out there that still has the good living cultures, or do the cultures need sugar(lactose) to grow?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 10:10

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Hi Kyrie! Welcome to this W.O.E. & W.O.L.!

I've done a lot of reading since starting Atkins and have come across several articles regarding yogurt. Lucky you for already liking the unsweetened yogurt! Several of these articles reference the GO-Diet (by Goldberg & O'Mara) who strongly believe that even tho a cup of plain yogurt is listed as 12 carbs, the active cultures eat the lactose and, because of this, we can count just 4 carbs for each cup of plain yogurt! So, IMHO, once you're past Induction, you could try adding the plain unsweetened yogurt back in and see how it works out for you.

Good luck!

#3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 10:56
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

If you find a good health food store there are many different kinds of probiotics. The good bacteria that you want. If you shop around I'm sure you could find one that meets your standards. And I agree with Ellen about the carb count of yogurt, I've read that other places also. And the Atkins plan itself is good for keeping the nasty yeasty in check!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 17:08

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

I got rid of a terrible "yeast overgrowth" problem by taking Olive Leaf Extract, Oil of Oregano, Capryllic Acid, and Acidopholus. It was a fairly expensive regime but got rid of the overgrowth and my weight loss picked up considerably.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 13:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 125/106/100 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
I got rid of a terrible "yeast overgrowth" problem by taking Olive Leaf Extract, Oil of Oregano, Capryllic Acid, and Acidopholus.

I can se how acidopholus could work by change the normal flora of the body, but how do the other remedies work?