Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 10:33

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%
Default You thoughts and opinions please

Where to start?
I had my gallbladder removed (not via laser) about 9-10 years ago. After that I would always have a loose bowl movement within 30 min of eating. My weight was anywhere from 160-220 from then to now. I started Atkins last November and have lost 40 lbs. I have been more off plan than on lately though. For the last couple of months I have been getting constipated rather often. Last week I became so miserable, not having a movement in aproximatly a week and swollen to look like i was 6 months pregnant from gas i asume. On Thursday I took a vegatable laxitave at 11 pm and the next morning since nothing had passed I took another at 7 am. I felt so terrible but didnt want to go to the emergency room because I couldnt poop. I do not have a regular medical doctor right now. I called the local walk in urgent care office I have used in the past and spoke with a nurse. I ask her what else I could try to move things before I came to see the doctor. She suggested that if I realy want to clean myself out to take magnesium sulfate. I went right away to the drug store and bought a bottle. A dose was 6-10 ounces (this is a liquid) I drank the whole 10 ounces. The label said it should work between 1/2 and 6 hours. 6 hours later and still nothing I was about to freak out. I decided I had to go the ER. While waiting on my husband to come home I finally felt the urge and ran to the potty. What I was able to pass was the consistincy of mud and smelt horrific. I was still optimistic the more was to come. From then till I went to bed I did make 3-4 more visits but not much came out. My swelling did go down however. How can a person take 2 laxitives and drink 10 oz of magnesium sulfate and not poop their guts out. Well today I am starting to get that same way again. I have not pooped since Friday night/Sat morning. My belly is swelling up again.
What are your thoughts and suggestions? I know I have to go to the doctor now but I am still hesitant.

Tammie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 18:38

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Are you getting plenty of fibrous veggies in your diet? You can get constipated if you don't get enough of them in. Have you tried any of the sugar free powders, citrucil or metamucil? Are you drinking enough liquid?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 15:15

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

I would use a suppository , there not as addictive either. And I would up your water intake as well.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-05, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

hey you sound a LOT Like me... if i could tell you the horror stories of goign to the ER....i can completly understand why you dont want to go there. and i wouldnt if i were you because those laxatives they give you make things worse.. i no longer respond to ANY now cuz of it. What i take is benefiber, and phsylium husk poweder (you can get at a health food store) i also started eating veggies w/ every meal and nuts like almonds and seseme seeds. and i drink a LOT of water. I have the gas probelm too bad. every day now pretty much i get swollen like im pregnant... its an ooff and on thing.. it will get better then worse. right now i think im having dieoff but anyways i have found that ginger tea helps w/ it. my enviromental doc told me some ppl benefit from alkaseltzer GOLD tablets. They did not help me but you could try them. I would try to find a natural doctor too even if you only see them once for advice because MD docs are not supportive about Ibs or candida. You didnt say if you had either of those but i have all those symptoms you described and i have candida and ibs. either way even if you dont have candida it would be a good idea to take probiotics and to eat the veggies and take the fiber becasue everyone needs that. I am sorry I am not much help I am still trying to figure this fun stuff out too. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-05, 12:56

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer their thoughts and advise. Im not sure if candida or ibs is the problem or not. I do however have great news to report. I have gotten back on track with my eating lc and swiched back to decaf coffee and make sure I drink at least some water everyday. I still think I need to be taking metamucil or something eveyday just to keep things moving as they should. OK I'm gonna embarrace myself here but after suffering for weeks and weeks I had some good, normal movements in the last two days. I never imagined I would be so happy to poop. It was like a major acomplishment. I was like, "YES!!!" Im glad there wasnt a hidden camera in the bathroom cause someone could have won the grand prize on Americas funniest home videos. I dont think I have gotten that excited over having a major "woosh" (sudden drop of pounds for no apparent reason).
I am feeling so much better. The swelling has all but gone and I seem to have finally ran out of gas. lol My favorite jeans are fitting as they should today and I dont feel like Im about to explode. I look for things to get even better is I stay on track.
Again a BIG THANKS to everyone. Your concern and support are priceless, good thing since I seem to always be broke lol

Tammie