Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Wine

Do any of you drink wine on Atkins? Do you just count the carbs as usual? Supposedly my favorite pinot grigio has 3.2 arbs per 5 oz. That means 5 servings per bottle, total a out 20 carbs per bottle.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 14:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Everyone is different, but I stopped consuming alcohol altogether for the first few months, as I didn't want to stall my progress. Others have had success following the Atkins recommendations on alcohol. During induction? No alcohol, as your metabolism will process it over fat. In Atkins, the Induction phase is used to stimulate fat burning. If you're doing a low carb approach of 20 grams of carbs per day or less, you'll want to avoid alcohol until you're close to your goal weight. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 15:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No, you do not just count Carbs as usual, and best not to drink it IF you wish to lose weight.

Quote:
Dr Atkins, Diet Revolution 1972 quote:
"WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ALCOHOL

Let's talk about alcohol, because for many of my patients this is the number one problem in weight control. We live in a society where drinking is so much a part of our way of life that it is much harder to turn down a drink than a dessert - even if we like desserts better.

Yet alcohol is a powerful deterrent to a low-carbohydrate diet. If you've read about the Drinking Man's Diet, you know that alcohol is not usually considered a true carbohydrate. And if you enjoy a sociable drink, you will hit upon that fact to justify adding alcohol to your diet. But this is one diet where alcohol acts just like a carbohydrate. It makes your body discharge insulin and stops you from putting out FMH (fat mobilizing hormone).

There is no hard-and-fast rule about how much alcohol converts into gram-equivalents of carbohydrate, because there is remarkable individual variation in this department. But this rule of thumb that I use represents the best average value: For every ounce of 100-proof spirits count 20 grams (carbs). In other words, one ounce of 84-proof Scotch might be thought of as 16.8 grams of carbs. Or four ounces of 24-proof wine might be counted as 19.2 grams of carbs."

This is pure alcohol equivalents. If drinking beer, remember there are actual carbohydrates in that too! So you are getting a LOT more carbs. Even though the alcohol may not kick you out of ketosis, the lingering effects of it may last for days. Remember that your body uses alcohol first over any other nutrient, and while it is burning the alcohol, it is NOT burning fat.

A few previous threads with more explanation:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=466805
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 11:59

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I went low carb during senior of college, so I ignored the no alcohol rule.
Did it slow my weight loss back then? Maybe?
Did I stick with the plan otherwise? Yes, and allowing social drinking kept me from ditching it.
We all respond differently, so only you will know if it stalls you.

BUT please take warning it hits you much harder on a low carb diet!

Also note that after liver is no longer processing alcohol, it dumps stored glycogen into blood stream causing the rise in insulin many hours later....of course, while body is breaking down that alcohol, your insulin levels are much lower.....basically you are going on a little roller coaster.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 04:13

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I don't find that wine slows my loss the way an Atkins bar will, BUT, I do find that wine gives me crazy chocolate cravings the next day. I have to be careful and know that I will need to be strong the next day. Many times I've had zero carbs except for two glasses of wine, which shouldn't even put me over ten carbs on the day - that's an amount of carbs that shouldn't give me cravings, yet it does. To date, I've just been counting the carb content of my wine, but I'm guessing Janet's advice is spot on (as usual) and that a glass of wine is a lot worse than I've been telling myself.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/190/220 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

I never gave up my 3 pints of Miller lite a day, never touched wine. Made it well past my goal without a problem. On the other hand I did not bother with the Atkins 20 gram Ketosis thing, I had done that in the past and it always led to a yo-yo. I kept the carb level higher, identifying and eliminating the worst carb foods (for me) one at a time until I became a low carb guy. Guess I did Atkins backwards, worked for me. Now I am probably on the recommended diet for a diabetic with beer of course, and still losing.

Last edited by maxxdunn : Wed, Apr-26-17 at 13:21. Reason: add more info