Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 21:13
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Cauliflower

Is there a shortage of cauliflower lately? When I can even find it, it's so expensive! I found it at Trader Joe's yesterday and bought some for my daughter at a decent price. Went back today and they were sold out. Didn't even have any frozen cauliflower at any price. I have a recipe I have been wanting to make for awhile now but no reasonably priced cauliflower.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 06:40

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Maybe green giant bought it all......my store has massive new case of their mashed cauli, riced cauli, cauli tots.......

Hope you find what you need soon. I hate it when something so basic is MIA.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 06:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillad
Is there a shortage of cauliflower lately? When I can even find it, it's so expensive! I found it at Trader Joe's yesterday and bought some for my daughter at a decent price. Went back today and they were sold out. Didn't even have any frozen cauliflower at any price. I have a recipe I have been wanting to make for awhile now but no reasonably priced cauliflower.

Cauliflower availability is definitely seasonal. Not sure where you're located, but for most of us in the northern regions it's hard to find from late winter through the early part of summer. Obviously it's too early for crops to grow locally, and becoming too HOT in southern regions from where we import over the winter. Over the years I've just come to accept that cauliflower won't appear on the menu very often (if at all) from April through July. If I can find it frozen, I score a few bags because it will sell out quickly.

What is the recipe you're wanting to try? Let us know; maybe someone can suggest a substitute veggie that would work just as well

#4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 09:32
Registered Member

BF:

Actually the recipe probably would work ok without it. It's a bacon cheeseburger soup from wholesomeyum which is my favorite go to for low carb recipes. I think the cauliflower is in there just to add some bulk like the original recipe had with potatoes, and nutrients. I may try it with frozen spinach, which is lower carb anyway. Or I may just leave it out.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 10:00

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

cabbage might work, it's in the brassica family too. i like to let it sit for 10 minutes after i chop it, and before i cook it. it seems to have a milder taste

a lot of veggies are grown in california and apparently their drought has turned to flooding. lettuce is 4$ a head right now because of it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 10:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Frozen cut green (or yellow) beans are a great addition to soups .. low-carbs, very mild taste and cook quickly. And they're available year-round .
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 10:24

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've been buying 1 kg bags of frozen cauliflower for years, which used to be available at all grocery stores in my area year 'round, but in the past couple of months, local Safeways no longer carry any plain frozen cauliflower at all, just mixed with other vegs. And my local Coop now only carries 500g bags. So something is up. I've also noticed more grocery stores switching to small steam-in-plastic packages of various vegs with seasonings & canola/soy oil added (and a huge price markup). But I only steam/cook in glass or stainless steel and prefer to add butter or OO and my own seasonings or just salt. I may try to grow my own cauliflower this summer if the growning season is long enough.

Robin120 may be correct that Green Giant has been buying up and diverting it to processing facilities to get higher profits. Half the frozen "vegetable" cases that used to contain plain, frozen 100% vegetables have been taken over by Green Giant vegetables & products at most of my local stores.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Apr-26-17 at 10:43.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 11:47

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

At my favorite grocery there are signs up that higher prices & unavailability of some produce are due to bad weather in the growing areas. We're not a vegetable area - our biggest crop is hay - & I'm thinking that because of the flooding the price will be up this year. I'm seeing fields that should be growing grass right now still flooded knee-deep or more. It's really bad this year - at least 6 cave-ins have happened on roads closing them - 2 of the cave-ins were on the highway. Life is getting interesting here.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 22:05
Registered Member

BF:

Went to my local store and cauliflower was $4.99 a head. No way! I did find one pound bags of frozen for $1.49 and bought some.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 07:57

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, there is a shortage of cauliflower, as reported in the morning paper, because of growing conditions in California.

My hair stood on end at my grocery: Cauliflower at $6.99 a head. I was shopping for dinner guests, and had planned to make our favorite Mashed Fauxtatoes. So I bought it anyway. But not a regular menu item for now.

Thanks for the alternative veggie suggestions. I bought a huge cabbage to make a delicious dish with a Middle Eastern flavor.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 09:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Bonnie- yikes! Hope you have emergency stuff in your car. Even just keeping a blanket and bottled water and such in the trunk is a good habit.
Hope the flooding is over soon.

And hope I didn't sound flippant to anyone living in the areas effected. I had forgotten the terrible weather out west, and was just making a joke about green giant!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 10:48

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I seem to remember a shortage of Cauliflower and/or high prices reported here last year about this time. In addition to the Cali flooding, I wonder if we are just in-between harvests? Cali does produce a lot but so does South Texas, Florida and Mexico exports tons....
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 14:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Bonnie- yikes! Hope you have emergency stuff in your car. Even just keeping a blanket and bottled water and such in the trunk is a good habit.
Hope the flooding is over soon.

And hope I didn't sound flippant to anyone living in the areas effected. I had forgotten the terrible weather out west, and was just making a joke about green giant!

No problem - we all tend to think our own areas are the normal one.
And it is strange - my son is on the coast & said while they're had more rain than normal, it isn't a heck of a lot more. But he's right on Puget Sound, so I don't think he'd really notice. Daughter in Texas sent me pictures - lots of flooding in her normally dry area.

The only bit of emergency stuff I don't have is water. I always take it out in the winter because it freezes solid & haven't gotten around to putting it back in.