Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 19:18

Plan: Keto Diet (LCHF)
Stats: 267/220/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14
I would recommend checking your BG after your meals though, especially your carbiest or highest protein one, to see how high it goes at the 1,2 or 3 hour mark. That is an excellent interim test for how your body is responding.

I had wondered if it made sense to check right after meals. Here are my numbers after tonight's dinner (20g Fat, 3g netCarb, 45g protien).

6 pm - 82 (just before starting dinner)
7 pm - 111 (1 hr after eating)
8 pm - 93 (2 hrs after eating)
9 pm - 93 (3 hrs after eating)

I think they look pretty good, but I am not eating anything too carb'y right now because I want to see some good A1C numbers.

I have transformed into what I believe is a Keto Diet trying to get most of my energy from fats and staying below 20g netCarbs. It is hard because protein is so much easier to find than fat in low carb foods, but it seems to be working.

Also, I went back and checked my glucose from the day of the A1C test and it was 245, which I think by the standard you are setting would agree with the A1C of 12.4. So ok, I seem to be keeping it in check. And I certainly can eat this way the rest of my life if it keeps me off the meds and injections.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-17, 04:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
And I certainly can eat this way the rest of my life if it keeps me off the meds and injections.
That's the key to staying LC. Wish more people would realize that it can be done with food.
Great PP blood sugars...only need to give the A1C time to catch up.

Since you still need to lose weight, do not worry about how many grams of fat are in your meals for now. As long as you are satisfied with the amount of oil on salad or butter on vegetables, that's enough since the rest of the fat is coming from your body stores. It varies by person and LC doctor's can only estimate, but some charts put the amount of energy being taken from Body fat at 50%. You do not have to eat 70% fat to be Keto, some portion comes from your "on board pantry", helpful charts here:

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/ And https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-17, 09:52

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm13
I had wondered if it made sense to check right after meals. Here are my numbers after tonight's dinner (20g Fat, 3g netCarb, 45g protien).

6 pm - 82 (just before starting dinner)
7 pm - 111 (1 hr after eating)
8 pm - 93 (2 hrs after eating)
9 pm - 93 (3 hrs after eating)

I think they look pretty good, but I am not eating anything too carb'y right now because I want to see some good A1C numbers.

Those are excellent numbers and show that what you are eating is working well for you. Keep up the good work and your a1c will be on track to getting to a normal range by the time you get retested.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-17, 11:39

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

John, your numbers look great, like a "normal" person's (when you eat this way)! To spare your fingertips, you only need to test this often if you eat something suspect or extra protein, to see how you react. It varies from person to person, but protein from dairy & legumes can be highly insulinogenic. Even Induction-level "legal" amounts of dairy, especially yogurt, ricotta, sour cream or cream cheese that show "milk solids" (= extra dairy protein) in the ingredients can spike my BG as if I ate 1-2 tsp of sugar. And it also makes me hungry again in ~2hrs when my BG dives (whereas the same amount of calories, fat, carbs & protein in a meat & vegs dinner would keep me hunger-free for >14 hrs). Knowing the numbers and how certain foods make me feel makes it easier to avoid or minimize such foods in the long run.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Apr-13-17 at 11:45.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-17, 11:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
...It varies by person and LC doctor's can only estimate, but some charts put the amount of energy being taken from Body fat at 50%. You do not have to eat 70% fat to be Keto, some portion comes from your "on board pantry", helpful charts here:

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/ And https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/

Janet - Great charts. They help to make it clear why less fats earlier is good. I can definitely feel the change in my body. I get full so much easier on so much less food.

Thanks for the good wishes on the A1C, I look forward to that doctor visit.

-John
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-17, 11:51

BF:

I did not realize that the "milk solids" could act like that. It might explain why I am still hungry a little after eating cream cheese pancakes.

My usual way is to read up and learn everything and then start a diet, but with the diagnosis, I felt that I needed to act first and learn on my feet. It seems to be working pretty good so far.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 06:56

BF:
Cool A1C Home Test

So I did not want to wait for the 3 months until the Doctor will test my A1C so I got a home test and administered it. Remember, my A1C was 12.4% on 3/1/17. So on the test I did this morning (4/15/17) it was 7.4%.

Yes, still diabetic, and yes high, but what an awesome change through diet alone with no drugs at all. And, and, and only halfway through the period between when you should take tests.

It seems the A1C could be below 6% by the next test. Since an A1C of 6% represents an average glucose of 126 mg/dl and from constantly measuring my glucose I am staying well below that it would follow that it should be below 6% all things being equal. If not the next test on 6/1 then certainly the one after that around 9/1.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 07:42

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Your numbers look great! You won't really have an accurate A1C until you've been three months on low-carb. But looking at the numbers you shared, I have no doubt that you will be in the normal range by the end of that three-month period. My partner had almost exactly the same number (7.2) partly into his low carb journey, and his A1 C drop to 5.0 after about four months on low-carb. So keep it up! I think there is only good news in your future.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 17:17

BF:

Thanks andante, I think you are right, I definitely picked the right way to treat this.

-John
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 16:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Way to go! It is truly amazing how fast this can be reversed by eating right, and a tragedy that the standard of care for diabetes isn't to start with a low carb diet as the first step.