Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 17:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/188/179 Male 60
BF:
Progress:

Good stuff!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 13:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoMonstr
I say all of that to say this: weight loss is a long, complicated, humbling journey of self-discovery for some of us and it takes 100% self-honesty to make it. and that requirement alone is enough to deter people from embarking on it.

Agreed! It's great that you have figured this out. So many people cannot!
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 22:54

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Joining the conversation late, but I would say that a much better question would be:

Does being overweight detract from your overall happiness compared to, everything else being the same, if you weren't overweight?

I think most people would tend to agree that it does -- and I think this is probably natural and even healthy (why would we want to lose weight if it weren't the case?).

But that raises a second question:

How much does it detract from your overall happiness and does it detract from all aspects of your happiness?

The answer to this question is likely to be all over the map, but I think it is probably healthy if the answer is along the lines that your happiness is most greatly impacted in those aspects of your life where being overweight has a direct influence. For instance, playing softball at the company picnic is probably not nearly as enjoyable as it would be if you were at a good weight. But it should not detract from your enjoyment of a concert or a night of playing board games with family and friends. If it does, then it is probably a sign that your unhappiness isn't stemming from being overweight, but by excessive value placed on how you think others perceive you because of your weight. Again, some amount of this is natural, normal, and probably even healthy, but if it is to a level that it is significantly impacting your ability to interact with others, then it is a problem.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 08:23

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

IN the General Low Carb discussion, I've posted a thread titled Fat Shaming. There you'll find a link to a This American Life podcast on the topic of happiness and being fat.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 09:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think there's something to be learned from crazy people like me. Bipolar, social anxiety. Whether or not I'm happy is very much detached from my actual life circumstances--there are times when I seemingly can't help but be happy, or can't help but be sad or flat emotionally. Times when I picked up a new born niece or nephew and didn't feel the joy I ought to feel. It does make sense to try and fix the things we're unhappy about--but at the same time, recognize that how we react to a situation, whether we can control our reaction or not--that's the depression, not the situation itself. Diet and exercise can help--and Dr. Atkins' advice that it should be diet and exercise that we can actually enjoy is wise here, this addresses two fronts, the need for pleasurable things in our life, and an improvement in metabolism conducive to enjoying these pleasures.

Anytime that I've been overweight and gone on a diet, the improvement in my mood has preceded most of the weight loss--there might be some grumbling during the first week over having to change my habits, but after that, a lift in mood.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 10:04

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
IN the General Low Carb discussion, I've posted a thread titled Fat Shaming. There you'll find a link to a This American Life podcast on the topic of happiness and being fat.

I think that the story raised a number of very valid points, but in many ways it also went overboard the other way. As an example, objecting to the term "overweight" because it implies that there is a "correct weight" and how dare anyone tell anyone else what their "correct weight" is. Well, if you are a six foot tall male that weighs four hundred pounds, quibbling over what your "correct weight" is is pointless because, whatever it is, you are WAY over that weight. There also seemed to be a running theme, sometimes under the surface, that denies the health implications of being extremely overweight. At one point the say that the medical term "morbidly obese" and "super morbidly obese" are hurtful terms. Well, sorry, but at some point your weight is so high that your morbidity risk starts going through the roof, hence the name. Changing the name to a softer, gentler version isn't going to change that.

There also seemed to be an intentional tendency to insist on seeing any program aimed at improving a person's physical fitness and health as only equating to focusing on how a person looks.

Having said all that, the segments that pointed out the numerous ways in which society and, we ourselves, view being fat in unhealthily negative ways were generally spot on, in my opinion. In particular, how fat people themselves often cater their behaviors to societal views.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 14:06

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
At one point the say that the medical term "morbidly obese" and "super morbidly obese" are hurtful terms. Well, sorry, but at some point your weight is so high that your morbidity risk starts going through the roof, hence the name. Changing the name to a softer, gentler version isn't going to change that.
Back in 1996, when I reached my peak weight close to 200lbs. (63" woman), my kindly doctor actually apologized for writing Obesity on my chart as a diagnosis, so that he could prescribe a diet pill for me. Zheesh.

As it turned out, the diet aid was the notorious phen/fen. It worked like a charm--just like the plain phen (a type of amphetamine) is working for the woman on that podcast. Totally zapped hunger, so I could pursue my 1200 calorie low-fat diet and vigorous exercise plan without too much suffering. Only later the drug combo was found to be threatening to heart health. Luckily I decided after about three months on that pill that drugs weren't a good idea. The kickstart helped.

Where was I? Oh yes. My effort to lose weight was motivated primarily by appearance. Type 2 wasn't on the health radar screen at that time--no doc ever spoke to me about it. I didn't have athletic ambitions. (I'd already finished a marathon, and I didn't need another one to claim the glory!) Be happy. Be fat. So what? "What" is the chubbette in the mirror.

I still think vanity is one of my primary motivations. Whatever works!
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 17:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I still think vanity is one of my primary motivations. Whatever works!

I go back & forth between vanity & health. If my improved health doesn't keep me on track, looking in the mirror & the nicer clothes I can now wear will.