Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/300/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question Cheeseburger Pie ?

I just made Suzanne Somer's Cheeseburger Pie for the first time. It didn't set quite as firm as I expected, and is very greasy. I have heard so many rave about it that I know I must have botched it- and it is such a simple recipe, lol! It didn't say to drain the hamburger grease. I did pour it off though... Can anyone give me some pointers?
~SeaPRIZM
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%

I made this before. I took a slotted serving spoon - one of the big plastic ones and moved the hamburger meat floating in grease to a bowl lined with paper towels. That's how i drain all my hamburger meat. Then you have to pat the top part with paper towels to get all of the grease out.
Maybe you didn't let it cook long enough?!?! It needs to cook until a knife or fork insterted comes out clean.
Also, once it comes out of the oven let it sit for about 15 mins. It will firm up more then too.
Mine was great. I served it with ketchup and mustard. I also added a pack of the ranch seasoning in mine. It was very good. I also do a taco version where I add taco seasoning and less heavy cream and sub sour cream for that....Top it with all your favorite taco toppings! Mmmmmm
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%

please!

where is the recipe?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 11:10

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I have made the cheeseburger pie several times. I use very lean ground beef (90% lean), cook it with spices and onions, add a tomato sauce layer(like tomato-basil sauce). I add a vegetable layer, like chopped spinach, a quiche layer (eggs, cream, cream cheese mixed together) and cheese on top. I bake it for around 45 min-60 min depending on how hot my oven is. It is very tasty and not greasy.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 03:03

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Kokie your version sounds yummy. Could you possible share with us a detailed recipe? Hey, you live near Chicago!!!! Me too!!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 06:51

Being new to this forum, is there a special place for recipes or are they just scatterd within the threads?

Basically, if you start with the Cheeseburger pie recipe in the F & E book. For me, the cheeseburger pie recipe made two baking dishes of pie (around 7 1/2" x 9 1/2").

So, I would cook around 1 pound of 90% lean ground beef together with dried minced onions and season salts (like cajun flavors). I would take the crumbles and divide them between my two glass baking dishes. Then, I would either use one jar per baking dish or divide one jar between the two baking dishes of Barilla Tomato-Basil Sauce. On top of that, I would put one package of thawed chopped spinach per each baking dish. My quiche layer was 1/2 cup heavy cream, 4 eggs, 4 oz softened full-fat plain cream cheese, mixed together and poured over the top of the spinach. On top of that I would put shredded cheese, like co-jack or mozzarella or cheddar or whatever. I would bake at 350 for at least 45 minutes, maybe an hour. The cheese needs to be brown. The recope is flexible. There have been times I have put cauliflower and broccoli in the veggie layer instead of the spinach.

It tastes really good!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 20:17

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks Kokie
That recipe sounds very easy to follow and very delicious. I have not tried most cheeseburger pie recipes; but this one sounds great! There is a place somewhere for recipes, ahh, here it is http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111327.

Best regards,
Sandy
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 05:36

Since I am doing CALP at this time, yesterday I made a version of the cheeseburger pie that included a layer of whole grains. I cooked it loosely based on the red-lentil cumin soup in F & E. I used brown rice, barley, black rice, wild rice, red lentils, and brown basmanti rice. I cooked it with spices and a can of tomato sauce. After it was done, I added a layer of that in to my cheeseburger pie. It was very filling and I didn't battle hunger the rest of the evening like I had been when I was SS-ing (and eating too much fruit and cereal)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 19:03

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I love the Cheeseburger Pie recipe! Mine never comes out greasy. I use venison for the ground beef. That is usually much leaner than ground beef. Maybe that is why it doesn't come out greasy fro me.
I was thinking about making that for dinner tomorrow night. YUMMY!