Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 10:01

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%
Default Adventure Eating

Placentas, raw liver, fermented fish... What gross-out foods have you heard of? Tried? Want to try? Would never touch? I want to hear all about it!

There's a guy who did a TV series where he traveled all over the world eating whatever was offered to him. I never got to see it, but I'm sure there were some zingers...

I'll start you off with this one. By now you may think I would eat anything at all, but I think this is something I could not try, even if it weren't for the dairy problem. From "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved" by Sandor Katz:
Quote:
Many traditional foods and methods of food production have been prohibited by laws imposed in the name of hygiene. My current favorite example of an outlawed food is the Italian cheese called casu marzu, a traditional product of the island of Sardinia. Casu marzu is made from pecorino, an Italian sheep's milk cheese, that is left out in the sun. Flies land on the cheese and lay eggs, which hatch into maggots that digest the hard, mild pecorino in casu marzu, "a viscous, pungent goo that burns the tongue," according to the Wall Street Journal. Saveur also featured a vivid account of tasting casu marzu: "We happened to be in a light-filled room as we prepared to taste it, and the maggots started jumping around like crazy and landing everywhere, including on us." As you eat casu marzu, you must cover your eyes with a hand to protect them from jumping maggots.

Extra credit for anyone who has eaten at London's "Saint John's" restaurant, whose chef has written a book called "The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating."
Sponsored Links