Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 11:59

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%
Default What cardio can replace running?

I hate running but I know cardio is good for me. Any suggestions for cardio that I can do at home?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 12:24

Plan: My own low-carb plan
Stats: 230/190/- Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
I hate running but I know cardio is good for me. Any suggestions for cardio that I can do at home?

How about a an elliptical, a recumbent bike, or an upright bike. Or better yet, a rower. Beats running any day.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 12:32
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

I hate running too... but I still do it!

Other options for cardio would include any aerobic dvd/video that gets your heart pumping, dancing, swimming, biking, etc..... really any activity that gets your heart rate up.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 14:35

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I hate cardio too! Have you considered "iron cardio"? It used to be called circuit training. You get some light weights (dumbells, barbells, doesn't matter), and do olympic movements (4 cleans, followed by one clean and jerk) for a few minutes. Trust me, you'll have your cardio workout!

Best of all, in addition to working your core muscles, you'll be working *a lot* of upper-body muscles that you never work when you run, bike or use a treadmill.

Just remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger My kid is trained on the defibrillator...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 00:02
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys

If one hates long time cardio you could do HIIT, it will take 5 to 15 min, 3 or 4 times a week. Can be done sprinting, on hometrainer, crosstrainer etc. etc.

- search for HIIT -
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 06:03

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Another idea people have mentioned in the past is "dance dance revolution" (sp?). I think it's a playstation game. They mentioned getting in their cardio and being so distracted by the game the time just flew by. Personally I actually enjoy running - gets me outside!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

The thigh muscles, being the largest in the body, are best able to get the heart rate elevated but anything that you can do to elevate the heart will suffice. Doing squats with heavy weights will do it. Swimming works also because it is stressing most of the body. If not running, then maybe walking on a treadmill set at 15% grade. That way you could read Weight Watchers Magazine as you walk. :-)
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-05, 07:09

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverjen
Another idea people have mentioned in the past is "dance dance revolution" (sp?). I think it's a playstation game. They mentioned getting in their cardio and being so distracted by the game the time just flew by. Personally I actually enjoy running - gets me outside!

DDR is a lot of fun! And time does fly by when you are doing it.

Anything that gets your heart pumping and you consider fun will work. The more fun it is the easier it is to do.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-05, 15:22

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

I wouldn't look to anything to replace running, but if I was going to supplement it, it would be with interval training.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 06:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I hate running, too. My preferred cardio is good ol' high-impact dancing to music. Cheesey but effective. A close second is going for a walk with a heavy backpack. The backpack contents are typically a case of diet pop from the grocery store and/or other groceries.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 06:45

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I love my rowing machine! I'm absolutely addicted to it. Part of it is because the company that sells these (www.concept2.com) has all kinds of motivational challenges, virtual team competitions, live races, races over the internet, awards for rowing certain distances, etc. It is easy to get a very high intensity work out.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 09:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/121/110 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 79%

i used to hate cardio too, but then i got a few arobic dance dvds, i absolutly LOVE the 50 min winsor pilates fat burning dvd, its about 40 min of dance moves, really easy too, and the last 10 min is pilates, its relaxing at the end, you get to lay down and do diff stretches thats the only dance dvd that REALLY makes me sweat and feel great when im done, the time flies by too!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-05, 11:11

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
A close second is going for a walk with a heavy backpack. The backpack contents are typically a case of diet pop from the grocery store and/or other groceries.

#14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 12:53

Plan: BFFM
Stats: 275/265/245 Female 165cm 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 33%

I love cardio but right now am unable to do alot of jumping due to eye surgery recently.

I do a Simulated running moves or quick low body march running. That kicks up the heart. Also cycling is a good cardio pump! H I I T is a great one too!
I also do taebo but that's on hold. Right now I am doing weightsand calistenics, crunches, pushups..the works!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 13:33
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Jumping Jacks!

Ready?

Begin!

Faster!

Debbie