Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 14:15

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 250/250/180 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Started Paleo and I feel great!!

I'm quite overweight, female, 5'7 at 240 lbs. Always have been heavy, with the occasional transitory lower weight after a diet. I've done well on Atkins once before (like, 10 years ago), but gained the weight back.

At 51, I was feeling miserable, tired, achy, shaky, out-of breath, bloated. At my age, I wasn't comfortable going back to the strict Atkins regimen, and I felt I needed something more.

Paleo to the rescue! Only three weeks in, but I feel great! For the first time in YEARS, the chronic foot and lower leg swelling, with associated chronic pain went away IN THE FIRST WEEK! My energy is so much better, I'm no longer always out of breath. I don't have the crazy ups and downs of blood sugar, and my hunger is not the desperate, "I'm starving I have to eat tons NOW" type of hunger, but something I can live with, and feel mastery over.

I haven't lost any weight pound-wise, but I'm not worried - I know my body is finding its balance. And I do seem to be loosing some fat.

I noticed after menopause that even though I didn't gain any weight pound-wise, I got flabbier. So I was loosing muscle and gaining fat. Now, I think the process is reversing itself. Nothing drastic, but subtle stuff, like my clothes fit better, my face is loosing some of its bloated roundness.

Learning to cook for the first time in my old age! Not as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely have to plan ahead now for meals, the sure is worth it.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello and share a bit about the improvements I'm experiencing in already such a short time. I truly feel that this is a life saver.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 14:39

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

That's great Guppy! I'm happy for you.

As for weight, keep in mind that paleo allows fruit, potato, and other foods high in carb because paleo isn't really for weight loss so much as it's for excellent health. To lose weight most of us need to watch the carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 23:08

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Welcome Guppy! It does feel good to go paleo, doesn't it? Your post reminded me how much I need to get back on track with paleo after all the junk I ate over Easter weekend. Only health from here on out!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 04:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Congratulations on your health improvements! As others have warned, Paleo is not necessarily a weight loss diet. It can be if you monitor your carbs, or as Mark Sisson writes, Eat Low on the Carbohydrate Curve (under 50g per day) Add enough nuts and fruit and you blast right through that. I have no problem eating my own version of a combination of Paleo and Atkins type low carb. Only green veg, not starchy ones, only berries and limited too, high quality meats, fish, pastured eggs, etc. No processed seed oils, make my own mayo with light olive oil. Only stevia, no AS. I follow Paleo rules for sleep, exercise and lifestyle, focus on quality sourcing ...but still count carbs.

I started this thread in the Tips forum a while ago. Two good mark Sisson articles in it about what to do if you don't lose weight on Paleo, including the link to the Carb Curve info.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=450891
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 10:27

BF:

Thanks for the comments and support!

My aim for this forum is to be self-centered and just talk about myself. Hope you don't mind too much! In real life, I very very rarely discuss how I feel or how I eat - always felt that being overweight people were judging me.

As for weight loss - I do stay away from potatoes, I just don't like them that much - I can take them or leave them. Right now I'm having fun experimenting with the different recipes, and finding new and novel ingredients to cook with.

One thing that has encouraged me to start the Paleo lifestyle, is reading that you can ease you way in. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. I wasn't sure how it would go for me, I was so terribly addicted to sugar, artificial sweeteners, and refined carbs.

I am amazed at how after the first week, I don't have these cravings anymore. Once, a few days in of being off sugar and refined carbs, I was in a low-sugar slump, craving sweets and starchy foods, tired as all get out. I was feeling horrible. So tired, I lay down for a nap, and dreamt that I was eating doughnuts, bagels, bread. Woke up and my craving was gone, and haven't been through the same thing since, LOL! I guess if I ever go through some serious cravings again, I'll just try to dream about eating the foods I crave, and that will take care of that!

I've just overall have been improving the quality of what I eat. the mental boost I'm feeling is an amazing thing. I am a high-functioning Autistic (I have Asperger's Syndrome), and the mental effort to do anything at all was draining. Now things are a lot easier, effortless. I'm just feeling emotionally so much clearer and more positive.

My dogs are enjoying this change in me too. More times outside hiking and playing.

I've recently read the Paleo Solution and The Paleo Primer (really fun little book, wonderful recipes!), and just ordered Primal Blueprint and the the Primal Blueprint cookbook. Can't wait.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 10:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might be interested in the book "Wheat Belly". It explains a lot of the issues you were having with your old style of eating.

Congrats!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 11:24

BF:

I'll add that one to my list of books. I know for me, the more I understand the reasons behind doing something (or NOT doing something), the more likely I am to stick with it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 03:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

What a fantastic story that you could see improvements in one week! Write about yourself all you want...this forum even has a journal forum if that will help. How to start one in second post:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Primal Blueprint and Paleo Solution are the classics, still the first two books I recommend. Nancy beat me to it, so will second her advice to then read Wheat Belly and I'll add Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter.

Dr Davis brought to light much about the specific problems with wheat, gluten and other grain proteins and anti-nutrients that you have already read about in Paleo Solution, and then Dr. Perlmutter takes that information and focuses solely on grains impact on the brain. Both are very active through their websites, YouTube lectures, FB pages so you can check them out first:
Dr Davis in one hour lecture: http://youtu.be/UbBURnqYVzw
Dr Perlmutter in one hour interview http://youtu.be/tBN1nWr3-mU

If you are exploring new foods, Paleo has become so popular there seems to be a new cookbook everyday (and our library has bought many of them) and some beautiful websites and blogs. Some to check out are EverydayPaleo, AgainstAllGrain, RubiesandRadishes, TheClothesMaketheGirl, NomNomPaleo, ChefPeteEvans at PeteEvans.com.au or his FB page, CivilizedCavemanCooking...just a few to inspire you!

Wishing you all the best on your journey to good health!

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-25-14 at 04:10.