Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 11:36
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/235/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question 10,000 Steps

Just a quick question,

Is anyone using the exercise approach of wearing a pedometer and targetting 10,000 steps a day.
Apparently, several years ago the U.S. Surgeon general encouraged American to walk 10,000 steps each day as an informal way of getting more exercise without the cost and drama of joining a healthclub.
I've attached a website that explains one approach to it. I just wondered if anyone had tried it.

http://www.shapeup.org/10000steps.html

Slimcat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

This is a great goal! My SIL is diabetic and her endrocronologist actually gave her a pedometer to wear with the goal of "10,000 steps" daily to help her control her weight and blood sugar. I have read in numerous places that the 10,000 steps per day is what you should aim for when using walking as your exercise. This is equal to either 4 or 5 miles (sorry I can't remember which.)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 17:07

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I wore one for 6 months and found it to be a great help. To get the 10000 steps in a day was a challenge. I found that I would take walks in the morning to get a good start on the 10K, then a walk at lunch followed by an evening walk. It was a motivator to have the number of steps that day visible. I would even take the long way to meetings at work to get in a few extra steps.

I now get my exercise by cycling, but as winter comes, I will be walking again.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:30
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

There's actually a challenge in the challenges thread for 10,000 steps. I think it's still going on....could be wrong.

Jude