Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 10:14

Plan: lower fat, no gluten
Stats: 135/132/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Where has this small kitchen helper been all my life?

On the advice of a blogger I greatly respect, Urvashi Pitre, I bought a Kuhn Rikon Swiss Pull Chop. Only about $25 and this gadget has truly earned its place in my kitchen.

So many of my savory dishes begin with a chopped onion, garlic, celery, carrot, piece of ginger root or pepper or mix of veggies that fine chopping can be a bit of a chore. Enter this new piece of equipment. A few pulls and you have lovely chopped pieces in seconds.

Bottom goes in top rack of dishwasher, top part is wiped off.

Even my DH is impressed and that's saying a lot.

No, I don't sell these or have any relationship to anyone who does.
Just passing on my take of a very good product.

Ginny in SC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 11:04

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Never heard of this type, but I loved the Magic Chef chopper my sister gave me so much I had to replace it when it wore out. Having such a device for me means the difference between making some things or not.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 09:55

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Cool! Gadgets can be awesome. Here's a Youtube link for people to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAx4rBHzN8

I would never want to live without our pull rope lettuce spinner. Sure, there are push types, etc. but the one we use is $10 (or was) at Walmart and works very well. The pull rope mechanism WILL eventually break of you use it a lot, but in like a couple years...and I grow lettuce every spring and we eat salads all year and dont usually buy pre-cut lettuce. I actually always keep a spare up on a shelf in the garage, brand new as a backup, because I dont want to ever be without one.

This chopper is cool. We have a sort of slap chop thing from pampered chef. It works really well. My wife uses it the rare times she cooks because she hates to chop.

I was a cooking show junkie for a decade and learned a lot. I am more of a purist as a result. I follow the chef mantra that about a half dozen specific good knives are all you need for most jobs, combined with repetitive motion skills. I forced myself to use knives for years, invested in a really good but affordable chef recommended proper chefs knife (it makes a huge difference) and now I even jump in to help my wife chop stuff so she doesn't have to dirty a gadget because I'm so fast at breaking down many foods and slicing and chopping. But then again, I'm the kind of man that can break down whole chickens without a care and I usually cut, de-bone and grind my own meats! I find peace in processing my own foods as much as possible...I'm weird like that. Most people dont really like to cook and the reason is they really just dont like the prep work...and then the dishes. My wife does the dishes! But I do clean after myself some so as not to leave her with too much of a load.

Don't get me wrong, I do use a food processor and blender. For certain things. Gadgets and machines do have their place.